I'm going to need some advice

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
First, Raleigh is really nice. I hope you find you place there.

I drove from NJ to Alabama this past February. And I drove from NJ to Atlanta GA the year before. But I was not alone for either trip. I used the WAZE app to navigate. It pretty good because it alerts you to delays and cops that might be set up in radar traps.
I think he already left so it's too late if he isn't using it already, but yes, WAZE is the GPS of choice for cross country if you want to get there faster. Anytime I'm on a long highway drive, that baby is turned on so I can cruise 90-100 on the Highway. Rarely does it not notfiy me of radar cops or anything else that would stop me. Not a fan of being in the car for long road trips.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to drive more than 8-10 hours without a break. But 12 or little more would be my max for driving in a day. Need to unwind and do whatever before sleep. Just keep off the cell phone, not like you are 16-35 years old so probably not a problem for you.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you get tired...dont push it.
Even if you just stop at a rest stop or gas station to use the bathroom and walk around for 10-15 minutes to help wake up and stretch out those muscles.

If you get too tired and want to stop and rest for a nap but dont want to pay for a full nights stay at a hotel/motel. Most Walmarts will let you camp out so to speak in their parking lots.

Oh and Raleigh will be looking so much nicer than El Paso especially this time of year.

Safe trip and hope all works out well for you.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So tomorrow morning I'm driving from El Paso to Raleigh, North Carolina.
Going to start a new life. Unfortunately.

29 hour drive not including stops.
I have barely ever done half that trip as a driver.

Does anyone have any good tips for this trip?
I sure could use some. I can use some help right now guys.
Ive found the last long drives Ive take that I like listening to audio books

gtb1943

Reaction score
Do not drive more than 2 hrs without stopping to stretch your legs and relax from the road. If time is not a problem use state and US roads not interstates. They are so much more interesting. Use your radio. Never fight sleepiness. Always have cold drinks handy to sip on as you drive. Water is best; do not rely on caffeine. When stopping to eat take your time and do not eat too much.

strollinruss

Reaction score

Just don’t get on a rush. And if you get tired stop. It’s not a race. Good luck buddy

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I saw Corso earlier today:

560x315mv.jpg

SlammedZero

Reaction score
One more thing; Avoid rush hour. If it means leaving at 3 a.m. to get through a city before 6, it's well worth it to me, to keep from adding an extra hour or two to my trip.
Beat me to it. I always plan my best to NOT go through a major metropolitan area around 6-9am or 4-7pm. Rush hour traffic is brutal, especially when you're just trying to drive through. Atlanta was one of the worst I got caught in.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Just take your time and try to enjoy the trip. 8hrs on the road then stop. It’s a beautiful country.

jsb357

Reaction score
is the vehicle up to the trip, specifically tires and battery?

Resist the urge to speed.

cooler with snack / drinks

good tunes to pass the time

don't stretch your limits

motel early / leave early

pack emergency water and snacks
that you do not intend to use

get AAA or other towing / roadside assistance if you don't have it

Bigdog

Reaction score
Drove from Boston to San Fran. Also from northern NY to Miami .Make sure you have change in the car for tolls. If you can get up early to avoid rush hour traffic and don’t over do it. Remember you going East so you will lose hour of light driving due to time zones. Take your time and enjoy it. Have fun

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Here is a picture of him stopping by Bourbon Street on his way East. He's the one on the right.

ec991af3-09c2-4a70-a60e-d4634f6d50e0.png

Here is a picture of him in Nashville on Broadway Street. Almost there. He's the one on the right again.

-tequilacowboy.jpg