I'm Moving On to Next Year

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Nope, I'm not saying that at all. I'm not suggesting when there are injuries or the talent level is down the team should still be a Super Bowl contender, I'm merely saying that a head coach has to find a way to keep the team from falling off a cliff when those issues arise. There have to be adjustments made, and there have to be players ready to step in and keep the ship afloat even if it doesn't sail as smoothly as it would with the normal starter. Again, not saying some rough waters shouldn't be expected, but sinking shouldn't be either.

If Garrett had only been on the job a few years and there were ups and downs, that's easier to look past, but 8 years into his head coaching job is a different story. Ultimately, it's part of his job to find a way to have some degree of consistency even when he is fighting through injuries or talent issues.

You just spent a long time saying first that "I'm not suggesting when there are injuries or the talent level is down the team should still be a Super Bowl contender" and ending with "There have to be adjustments made, and there have to be players ready to step in and keep the ship afloat even if it doesn't sail as smoothly as it would with the normal starter". AGAIN, if the talent on the bench was good they wouldn't be on the bench but starting. To expect backups to key players to play without a drop off in production is wishful thinking and not reality.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You just spent a long time saying first that "I'm not suggesting when there are injuries or the talent level is down the team should still be a Super Bowl contender" and ending with "There have to be adjustments made, and there have to be players ready to step in and keep the ship afloat even if it doesn't sail as smoothly as it would with the normal starter". AGAIN, if the talent on the bench was good they wouldn't be on the bench but starting. To expect backups to key players to play without a drop off in production is wishful thinking and not reality.

You either aren'tpaying attention, have a reading comprehension issue, or are being intentionally obtuse. I very clearly indicated I expect a drop off and rough sailing when key players are out, just not a drop off a cliff to where the team has no ability to compete. Keeping the ship afloat is not the same as being a Super Bowl contender, but you are ridiculously acting as if it is. Keeping the ship afloat just means the ship doesn't sink to the bottom.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You either aren'tpaying attention, have a reading comprehension issue, or are being intentionally obtuse. I very clearly indicated I expect a drop off and rough sailing when key players are out, just not a drop off a cliff to where the team has no ability to compete. Keeping the ship afloat is not the same as being a Super Bowl contender, but you are ridiculously acting as if it is. Keeping the ship afloat just means the ship doesn't sink to the bottom.

You're badly trying to split hairs here. All you want to do is blame Garrett for having to field teams with key players missing and not winning enough games with the subs to get into or deep into the playoffs with those backups. You want me to believe that you expect a drop off but then you say Garrett should keep the ship afloat which to most people means continue winning more than losing because losing more than winning is a sinking ship. So AGAIN if those bench players were that good they would be starters not backups and play would not drop off. They may be able to keep the games relatively close but in the end even a close loss still counts as a loss. Now if Garrett was GM and coach and the backups were as bad as some here are, then fingers could be pointed at Garrett because he would be responsible for the players he had to work with, but he's not. He can only work with the players that are given to him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're badly trying to split hairs here. All you want to do is blame Garrett for having to field teams with key players missing and not winning enough games with the subs to get into or deep into the playoffs with those backups. You want me to believe that you expect a drop off but then you say Garrett should keep the ship afloat which to most people means continue winning more than losing because losing more than winning is a sinking ship. So AGAIN if those bench players were that good they would be starters not backups and play would not drop off. They may be able to keep the games relatively close but in the end even a close loss still counts as a loss. Now if Garrett was GM and coach and the backups were as bad as some here are, then fingers could be pointed at Garrett because he would be responsible for the players he had to work with, but he's not. He can only work with the players that are given to him.

If you have to resort to fabrication and fantasy to make a point, you have no point.

At no point, and in no way, did I remotely indicate I expected Garrett to go deep into the playoffs with a bunch of subs/backups. That claim is either you being blinded by the need to be right such that you stick your head in the ground to what you don't want to hear, or just plain lying.

I've mentioned a couple of times that my only expectation is that the team doesn't fall off a cliff and lose any ability to be competitive when players get hurt, but that doesn't suit the argument you want to make, so you just make up what does and pretend that's what I actually said. You are incapable of reasonable discussion, and therefore not worthy of the continued effort. I have no doubt you will follow up with yet more fantasy, but if so, you're on your own.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If you have to resort to fabrication and fantasy to make a point, you have no point.

At no point, and in no way, did I remotely indicate I expected Garrett to go deep into the playoffs with a bunch of subs/backups. That claim is either you being blinded by the need to be right such that you stick your head in the ground to what you don't want to hear, or just plain lying.

I've mentioned a couple of times that my only expectation is that the team doesn't fall off a cliff and lose any ability to be competitive when players get hurt, but that doesn't suit the argument you want to make, so you just make up what does and pretend that's what I actually said. You are incapable of reasonable discussion, and therefore not worthy of the continued effort. I have no doubt you will follow up with yet more fantasy, but if so, you're on your own.

Gee I'll even quote you. "There have to be adjustments made, and there have to be players ready to step in and keep the ship afloat even if it doesn't sail as smoothly as it would with the normal starter. Again, not saying some rough waters shouldn't be expected, but sinking shouldn't be either.".

Now for the simple minded people if a team has a losing record it's sinking ship so if it has a winning record it's a ship afloat. Now are you going to sit here and say that even though 9 - 7 is a winning record that you will be happy with that and not take more shots at Garrett, directly or indirectly. Or is the real implication since a ship afloat is a winning record and that is what you're expecting and them making the playoffs? AGAIN if the backups were better they would be starters but they're not so to expect the ship to stay afloat or provide a winning record with key players missing is very wishful thinking.

Blackrain

Reaction score
nah. just joking. some are very lacking in humor on this site. you know me. football coincides with the texas hunting season. if the games bad, I just grab a rifle or shotgun and go out and hunt some more.

Same here in PA . Huntin , Fishin , shooting and Football its all good

Blackrain

Reaction score
So I've come to grips with reality. It makes you feel better when you go ahead and make the decision to do that. Change will take place and that is refreshing. At least that is what we can only hope for at this time.

So we use a very high draft pick on one of the best young arms in college, and we spend a very high second rd pick on a very good WR. The QB is a must but the 2nd rd can go in many directions.

So also assuming that there will be a new Head coach and staff.

So at this point I do want to see them win, but also its not going to destroy me knowing we're moving in the direction of actually doing something to improve. Stephen and Jerry will be forced to change.

Change is going to take place . News to me Garrett and Jerry are staying put bank on it . Don't hold your hand on your Butt waiting for change in these important areas or it may grow there LOL

Reality is we are 4 games in defense is improved and hit the ground running because it got some reps in preseason . The offense didn't so the 1st 3 games looked a lot like preseason . This last game we showed some improvement on offense and if Tavon Austin did his job and caught the EASY TD pass put right in his hands by our QB that nobody believes can throw it would have been 3 td passes 300yrds and no INTs

The magic numbers that the Dak sucks legion aspire to. The division is all knotted up so back of the ledge and let it play out . SHEESH what a group of pansy *** quitters