I'm Moving On to Next Year

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Jerry kept Garrett and downgraded the receivers. Then he said Garrett is not on the hotseat if we don't make the playoffs. One more year of the process.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Jerry kept Garrett and downgraded the receivers. Then he said Garrett is not on the hotseat if we don't make the playoffs. One more year of the process.

Even downgrading the receivers isn't really the problem, no they aren't the greatest but they are serviceable, you already have a pretty good slot receiver in Beasley, a speedy guy in Austin, tall guys like Hurns, etc. But Linehan/Garrett don't know how to use them, and add to that running Zeke an average of 16 times a game, when you're supposed to be a running team, and the whole offense becomes out of whack...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Even downgrading the receivers isn't really the problem, no they aren't the greatest but they are serviceable, you already have a pretty good slot receiver in Beasley, a speedy guy in Austin, tall guys like Hurns, etc. But Linehan/Garrett don't know how to use them, and add to that running Zeke an average of 16 times a game, when you're supposed to be a running team, and the whole offense becomes out of whack...
The coaching is the biggest problem with this team. I don't know what a top coach could do with Dak or these receivers but it would have to be an improvement. And I agree, they can't get the running game going. We are a running team not a passing team. The coaches seemed to have forgotten this.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Agreed. There has to be enough of a foundation that a team doesn't go from highly competitive to near the bottom of the NFL with a couple of injuries. The head coach has to be able to deal with adversity to put out a competitive product even when all things don't fall in place.

I see, it's all coaches and the actual talent of the players playing have nothing to do with it. There's a reason why when those backups come in after an injury to a starter and play isn't as good. Yet some here seem to think that drop in play is all the coaches fault. Just like those that want to blame Prescott for every thing bad that happens on offense and even some that blame him for some of the defensive problems. Sunday, Aikman who is normally very critical of the Cowboys to not seem like a homer, said blaming Prescott for this offense when he's under constant pressure getting hit and sacked, having no time to go through his reads is a injustice to Prescott. Now this is someone who has actually played in the NFL at a extremely high level stating this not someone who's NFL experience comes from what they see on their couch.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
So I've come to grips with reality. It makes you feel better when you go ahead and make the decision to do that. Change will take place and that is refreshing. At least that is what we can only hope for at this time.

So we use a very high draft pick on one of the best young arms in college, and we spend a very high second rd pick on a very good WR. The QB is a must but the 2nd rd can go in many directions.

So also assuming that there will be a new Head coach and staff.

So at this point I do want to see them win, but also its not going to destroy me knowing we're moving in the direction of actually doing something to improve. Stephen and Jerry will be forced to change.

If you think it's going to be any better next year or the year after that or the year after that...you're missing the point.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Here's a little football 101 for you. The Cowboys who have been a run first team can do that when they have the lead or within a field goal but when the Cowboys have been behind in score and/or the first down chains you can't just run Elliott. You see running chews up the clock and when a team is behind they don't want the clock winding down needlessly running into a defense stacked to stop the run. Since there are only 2 options, run or pass then you take the pass to get a head of the other team and/or chains. Yes when the Cowboys had the offensive line of 2016 the run first worked great, but that's not the case this season so to sit and whine about not enough rushes per game when they've been behind and able to use a clock chewing offense is foolish.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see, it's all coaches and the actual talent of the players playing have nothing to do with it. There's a reason why when those backups come in after an injury to a starter and play isn't as good. Yet some here seem to think that drop in play is all the coaches fault. Just like those that want to blame Prescott for every thing bad that happens on offense and even some that blame him for some of the defensive problems. Sunday, Aikman who is normally very critical of the Cowboys to not seem like a homer, said blaming Prescott for this offense when he's under constant pressure getting hit and sacked, having no time to go through his reads is a injustice to Prescott. Now this is someone who has actually played in the NFL at a extremely high level stating this not someone who's NFL experience comes from what they see on their couch.

Nope, I'm not saying that at all. I'm not suggesting when there are injuries or the talent level is down the team should still be a Super Bowl contender, I'm merely saying that a head coach has to find a way to keep the team from falling off a cliff when those issues arise. There have to be adjustments made, and there have to be players ready to step in and keep the ship afloat even if it doesn't sail as smoothly as it would with the normal starter. Again, not saying some rough waters shouldn't be expected, but sinking shouldn't be either.

If Garrett had only been on the job a few years and there were ups and downs, that's easier to look past, but 8 years into his head coaching job is a different story. Ultimately, it's part of his job to find a way to have some degree of consistency even when he is fighting through injuries or talent issues.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Do you expect any GM to start a season saying he is going to fire his coach if he doesn't make the playoffs?

kskboys

Reaction score
Nope, I'm not saying that at all. I'm not suggesting when there are injuries or the talent level is down the team should still be a Super Bowl contender, I'm merely saying that a head coach has to find a way to keep the team from falling off a cliff when those issues arise. There have to be adjustments made, and there have to be players ready to step in and keep the ship afloat even if it doesn't sail as smoothly as it would with the normal starter. Again, not saying some rough waters shouldn't be expected, but sinking shouldn't be either.

If Garrett had only been on the job a few years and there were ups and downs, that's easier to look past, but 8 years into his head coaching job is a different story. Ultimately, it's part of his job to find a way to have some degree of consistency even when he is fighting through injuries or talent issues.
Good stuff.

We are only good when everything goes exactly right.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Here's a little football 101 for you. The Cowboys who have been a run first team can do that when they have the lead or within a field goal but when the Cowboys have been behind in score and/or the first down chains you can't just run Elliott. You see running chews up the clock and when a team is behind they don't want the clock winding down needlessly running into a defense stacked to stop the run. Since there are only 2 options, run or pass then you take the pass to get a head of the other team and/or chains. Yes when the Cowboys had the offensive line of 2016 the run first worked great, but that's not the case this season so to sit and whine about not enough rushes per game when they've been behind and able to use a clock chewing offense is foolish.

The NFL doesn't run football 101. It's not a simple as "behind in the score, so quit running the football" So spare me the arrogant "you don't understand football" condescending lectures.

If the Cowboys are behind by 3 tds, sure your runs will be limited. But in the Carolina game, they were only down 10 pts at the half. Zeke had 15 carries the entire game, not nearly enough. The failure to continue to pound the ball, at least a few more times, isn't using the strengths of your team...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
happiness is a choice...……………..paraphrasing Einstein.
well-b-ye.jpg

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Wish I had that option, but I'm too old to start loving a new team. And if I did and the Cowboys ever got back to being a SB winner, I'd not be able to come back, couldn't stand being essentially a "bandwagon" fan....

I have yet to see the Cowboys play for anything more than the divisional round of the playoffs, since I started watching football. Yet, for the same reasons as you stated, I can't do that. At least not yet. If I did, it'd probably be the Broncos, for obvious reasons. Regardless, I just can't bring myself to switch teams yet. I've thought about it a lot, but I just can't do it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I have yet to see the Cowboys play for anything more than the divisional round of the playoffs, since I started watching football. Yet, for the same reasons as you stated, I can't do that. At least not yet. If I did, it'd probably be the Broncos, for obvious reasons. Regardless, I just can't bring myself to switch teams yet. I've thought about it a lot, but I just can't do it.

For me, I always pull for the Broncos when they're not playing the Cowboys, so there's that. I must admit admiration for what the Rams have done in the short amount of time. For me, after the Cowboys and Broncos, the other 4 teams I do enjoy watching are the Colts, Lions, Rams, and Chargers (Oh come on, are you really surprised by these choices?). The Raiders might joing this list when they move to Vegas as I do love Las Vegas, and my favourite hockey team is already there. Regardless, I will stay as a Cowboys fan for the foreseeable future. I really don't want to stop being a fan of the Cowboys. I just like having teams that I can cheer on when the Cowboys are out. Makes my gridiron watching experience a bit longer each season.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
So I've come to grips with reality. It makes you feel better when you go ahead and make the decision to do that. Change will take place and that is refreshing. At least that is what we can only hope for at this time.

So we use a very high draft pick on one of the best young arms in college, and we spend a very high second rd pick on a very good WR. The QB is a must but the 2nd rd can go in many directions.

So also assuming that there will be a new Head coach and staff.

So at this point I do want to see them win, but also its not going to destroy me knowing we're moving in the direction of actually doing something to improve. Stephen and Jerry will be forced to change.
N'Keal Harry in the first please

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
Fair weather fandom rears its ugly head once again. People who yearn for high draft picks and root for losses have no business here.

Right... Those agenda based posts should get your throat cut..