Video: I'm not getting the Jaylon Smith hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
In the 90s days, the Cowboys became very successful with small speedy LBs (Darrin Smith, Dixon Edwards) who were not exactly thumpers but they could pursue, cover and tackle. Even Ken Norton was not necessarily known as a physical LB in his early years. The knock on him was he did not like contact. He could tackle and cover, though, and he was a great leader.

I see Smith looking a lot like the 90s LBs that made the Dallas defense very good. He is a much better talent, though, than any of those LBs.

Spectre

Reaction score
This morning I was listening to former Navy QB(now BAL WR), and Heisman candidate Keenan Reynolds on a local radio show. They asked him "Who is the best defensive player you've ever faced?". His answer? Jaylon Smith. He said that when they played ND, they game-planned to stay away from Jaylon Smith. Said Smith was very smart, scary fast, and just a beast on the defensive side of the ball that had to be accounted for at all times.

Urban Meyer apparently gave similar praise to Smith as well. While I don't really see it in his footage, this guy has made an impression somehow on a number of folks who should know a thing or two about it- so that's good.

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure, they are going to make mistakes. You can see a drastic difference in playing styles as soon as you turn on Myles Jack. He plays down hill and is all over the field. You see brute physicality with Jack.

Well for one, he's used differently at UCLA than Smith is used at ND. He plays more downhill because he's basically allowed to attack the LOS on every play. Even if you read some of the scouting reports, it was said UCLA had a fairly simple approach with Jack letting him use his athleticism and trying to get him more in space to make plays. Smith didn't have the luxury at ND where had more responsibilities under VanGorder's complex system.

I watched both guys and frankly, I am not sure how you think the one tape looks some much better than the other. They look pretty similar to me. There were times in the video you linked Jack couldn't get off a block either and gets lost in the wash. He got beat on a pass play as well.

Actually the most impressive guy in that footage was Eddie Vanderdoes, the UCLA DT.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I watched the specific plays you pointed out, and talk about nitpicking.

No LB is going to be able to take on lineman 60+ pounds heavier than them and disengage every play. You did mention that he plays best when he's not touched, and I agree 100%. That's why many people think his best fit is at the WILL.

I don't know how you can call his pass rushing skills overhyped though when Notre Dame rarely ever utilized him as a pure edge rusher.

Just in those two games alone, he lined up as a pure edge rusher at least 5 times.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I agree. I think he stays blocked too often. I don't have nearly as high of an opinion, as do others. If you can keep him clean and just let him run to the ball, he could be pretty good but I don't love the way he gets off blocks much.

I believe we share the same opinion on this player. Even when the player was healthy I did not have as high of a grade on him as many did. I also think that it is very easy for analysts to come out and say he was on of the best players in the draft and not have to thoroughly defend that position because of his injury. If a defense can keep him clean and let him run, cause the kid can really really run, he will be a pro bowl type player. Watch the USC game if you want to be impressed, but I have my doubts about Oline quality at USC this last season. If he finds himself having to take on too many blocks he won't amount to much in the league IMO. The bottom line is a high 2nd was too high to take this player.

Sydla

Reaction score
And FWIW, I don't get the Willis/Lewis comparisons either. Smith (nor Jack for that matter) are the thumpers that Lewis was, for example.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Well for one, he's used differently at UCLA than Smith is used at ND. He plays more downhill because he's basically allowed to attack the LOS on every play. Even if you read some of the scouting reports, it was said UCLA had a fairly simple approach with Jack letting him use his athleticism and trying to get him more in space to make plays. Smith didn't have the luxury at ND where had more responsibilities under VanGorder's complex system.

I watched both guys and frankly, I am not sure how you think the one tape looks some much better than the other. They look pretty similar to me. There were times in the video you linked Jack couldn't get off a block either and gets lost in the wash. He got beat on a pass play as well.

Actually the most impressive guy in that footage was Eddie Vanderdoes, the UCLA DT.

Like I said multiple times, it very well could be a difference in scheme and assignments.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Were can I go to see video of the Jaylon Smith injury. Was it really so bad? I want to see it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Were can I go to see video of the Jaylon Smith injury. Was it really so bad? I want to see it.

Pretty bad. The play was basically over and the OSU OT (who was also drafted in the first round, Taylor Decker) kind of shoved him from behind and he took a few steps and then his knee stuck into the turf at an awkward angle.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Pretty bad. The play was basically over and the OSU OT (who was also drafted in the first round, Taylor Decker) kind of shoved him from behind and he took a few steps and then his knee stuck into the turf at an awkward angle.

Something I need to see. No flag, no illegal action in that shove? Just a freak accident? I have questions.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
5 snaps out of what, 100+? Like I said, he rarely got utilized as a pass rusher.

This Notre Dame writer says they wasted Smith's ability as a pass rusher due to ND suffering some injuries on the LB corps, and needing Smith's coverage ability. http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/2016/03/16/did-notre-dame-waste-jaylon-smith-as-a-pass-rusher/

There weren't nearly 100 snaps between those two videos, but OK. How often do you expect him to line up as a pure edge rusher in any 4-3 scheme? Especially a 4-3 under? I admit, he's great when no one touches him.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Sure, they are going to make mistakes. You can see a drastic difference in playing styles as soon as you turn on Myles Jack. He plays down hill and is all over the field. You see brute physicality with Jack.

I haven't heard a single actual evaluator say a healthy Myles Jack is better than a healthy Jaylon Smith.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We'll be having the Jack vs Smith debate for many years. I think both will have long careers despite the injuries.

If they both do have long productive careers, yeah we'll be having this debate but I think it won't work out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.