I'm okay with Mike McCarthy staying

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mike's ability to develop a QB?? LOL...you gotta be trolling. Dude stinks at playcalling, has no in game awareness, can't adjust, and looks constipated and lost most of the time, and can't get his players up for a playoff game. He's here because he is a walk-a-bout coach.
You're the only one who's trolling... All that said was just going by the last game but that wasn't the entire look for the year he did a lot of good things with Prescott in this offense we need a stronger run game which fixed a lot of these issues that people think that they're saying we need a bigger running back that stays healthy and a little bit better blocking scheme a few tweaks this offense can get rolled back with the same exact or similar players and we'll be just fine the defense is far worse to blame for most of the losses and even the Seattle win if you look at that kind of crap that they rolled out this team never had a chance even if they would have played perfectly and yes Mike McCarthy might have coached to not lose coached a little scared when he sees his defense can't stop anyone and looks at it and goes well we might have to score on every drive that's a lot of pressure I'm pointing to the defense first then we can work on the rest but all that way you said up there is not entirely true at all it one game at the end of the year it was true the whole team shift the bit...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Good write up.

Dak is going to get extended. That was the predetermined when they signed him to that contract. And I’m ok with that as long as it doesn’t have a no-trade clause.

A no-trade clause for all intents prevents them from doing what the Chiefs did with Smith & Mahomes.
Not predetermined, Jerry might take a long hard look at it because of the way we lost it might see both Mike McCarthy and Prescott's future tied at the hip for one year....

I would not extend Prescott that money is not that much bigger than his extension money I mean if he's asking for 55 to 60 and his cap hit this year is 60 why not just roll with it I think you could still design the other contracts to be paid bigger later to offset Prescott's money and still add to this roster free agent sign your own players draft well and have a shot...

Show me how all these numbers shake out signing him long term and what his demands are versus keeping him on his same deal for next year...

JustChip

Reaction score
Not predetermined, Jerry might take a long hard look at it because of the way we lost it might see both Mike McCarthy and Prescott's future tied at the hip for one year....

I would not extend Prescott that money is not that much bigger than his extension money I mean if he's asking for 55 to 60 and his cap hit this year is 60 why not just roll with it I think you could still design the other contracts to be paid bigger later to offset Prescott's money and still add to this roster free agent sign your own players draft well and have a shot...

Show me how all these numbers shake out signing him long term and what his demands are versus keeping him on his same deal for next year...
His contract is essentially a balloon payment. Back loaded to be able to refinance to avoid the balloon.

I agree that, if the extension results in the same 1st year cap hit, it makes sense to wait. I’m no capologist, but any extension is likely to lower the 1st year cap hit significantly. The only way to do that is a small 1st year salary with a very large signing bonus that can be amortized over the life of the contract.

Dak is no Ivan Rodriguez. Nor is he Tom Brady (I’m not talking about on the field). He and his agent have not shown they give a crap about anything but Dak. And that’s fine. Everyone operates first and foremost in their own best interest.

A new contract will look like the existing. Another big balloon. It’ll just be kicking the proverbial can down the road. At some point, Dak will get cut and it’ll be a June 1st cut to spread the onerous cap hit over 2 years.

You are right in that Mike and Dak are linked for next year. The moment it was announced Mike was coming back, I knew that meant Dak was here next year. No June 1 cut this year. That almost certainly means an extension. I could be wrong. We shall see.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yeah people can argue and debate it all they want but he's actually the best coach we've had since Jimmy Johnson Parcells never finished the job he left here in my opinion he ran he's weak I don't like the dude he quit so given that situation given the success we've had in a short time 36 wins two division titles and three playoffs in a row in the last three years... I get it maybe Bill Belichick probably the only guy I would have wanted here over Mike McCarthy staying just because I think he has the skins on the wall to get the attention of both Jerry and the players they know who he is and what he did over there we don't have Tom Brady but Prescott is not that far off there's not that big a gap I know I'm gonna get ripped for this but I'm just saying he's a solid veteran quarterback to work with is a pretty good team so I think Bill Belichick would have been the only guy I mean if you look at what other those other guys did they may seem like a better choice but none of them mean that they are..
. And I wanna be clear I would have been OK with a purge of the entire staff doesn't bother me this clean breaks fresh start but I'm also OK with Mike McCarthy and Prescott getting one more year with the small window of opportunity that's it they should both know and I would not extend Prescott that money is not that much bigger than his extension money I mean if he's asking for 55 to 60 and his cap hit this year is 60 why not just roll with it I think you could still design the other contracts to be paid bigger later to offset Prescott's money and still add to this roster free agent sign your own players draft well and have a shot...
I get what you’re saying. I would have been ok with bill coming in here. The only way he would have taken the job is because JJ would give him enough power to do what he needed to do.

I figured since the Defense played so bad against packers that it would give JJ a reason to keep MM. I dont like MM clock management. Sometimes his playcalling is sketchy. Dak needs to take more control this year and better his game this off season. With the QBs playing in the NFL today Dak is a top 10 QB. People can argue that all they want. But if we cut him then he would have a starting job tomorrow. I would like to see him calling his own plays. Let him sink or swim.

Quinn needs to be on the hot seat for sure but he is missing some key players.

But if we are going to run it back again next season then let’s get the players we need. And get me a good O-Line coach that will bring back a power running game. A OG, LB, another big DT and a good RB.

I think the offseason and what they do with Daks contract will tell us alot. No contract extension and eat the 60 million and we may be moving on if we don’t get further next season. MM is staying but is not getting contract extended. I think Dak gets the contract. JJ is ok with him. People will complain but it’s the going rate. We need a lower cap hit for this year and next. Big players to sign the next couple of years..

Daks first pick should have been a flag. He was wrapped around Gallup the whole time and shoved him out of the way. Gallup got up looking for the flag and so was the defender. He saw no flag and took off. The pick 6 was on Dak. He threw to the correct read. He was blitzed and threw towards the blitz to Lamb. But he was supposed to throw right to him and he was open. Instead he tried to lead him. Lamb had 2 choices because the defender was coming. He either catches it and gets laid out or knocks it down (which he tried). Instead the guy jumped the pass. He almost threw another but he dropped it in the endzone. He was supposed to throw high and behind TE to let him adjust. He has thrown that pass correctly the last few prior games.

glimmerman

Reaction score
His contract is essentially a balloon payment. Back loaded to be able to refinance to avoid the balloon.

I agree that, if the extension results in the same 1st year cap hit, it makes sense to wait. I’m no capologist, but any extension is likely to lower the 1st year cap hit significantly. The only way to do that is a small 1st year salary with a very large signing bonus that can be amortized over the life of the contract.

Dak is no Ivan Rodriguez. Nor is he Tom Brady (I’m not talking about on the field). He and his agent have not shown they give a crap about anything but Dak. And that’s fine. Everyone operates first and foremost in their own best interest.

A new contract will look like the existing. Another big balloon. It’ll just be kicking the proverbial can down the road. At some point, Dak will get cut and it’ll be a June 1st cut to spread the onerous cap hit over 2 years.

You are right in that Mike and Dak are linked for next year. The moment it was announced Mike was coming back, I knew that meant Dak was here next year. No June 1 cut this year. That almost certainly means an extension. I could be wrong. We shall see.
They said MM is coming back but JJ is not extending his contract. Usually it’s done with 1 year left. He is gonna let him ride another year. The guy has done more for us than most other HCs we have had in a while. I wish JJ would give play calling to someone else. I noticed him trying to hard to establish the run in playoff game. Running it into stacked boxes and passing when they rushed 4. Some of this is on Dak for not audibling. But we need more motion to make defense show more of there hand.

Oh and let someone else help MM with clock management. Lol.

blueblood70

Reaction score

First of all it would make zero sense to cut Prescott even post June 1st show me the numbers I think it's still gonna cost this team 30 million in dead cap space even with a new coach say Bill Belichick he would have wanted a veteran quarterback at least in the first year so either way I think they need to bite the bullet and just let him ride both together as lame duck I don't need to see an extension because they can do the back loading on the other contracts the free agents they bring in and our own players who are up for deals you can have really small 2024 numbers and let their numbers be backloaded big time....

You can say Prescott's not a Tom Brady but you missed all the middle people there's a pretty big gap right now between Patrick mahomes and some of the other guys and Prescott's right in the mix with the other guys whether you like him or not he was an MVP candidate in consideration this year one of his best years he can't help that we didn't have a strong offensive line a run game guys outside CD lamb not really getting open on a consistent basis the defense playing like total turds I mean we could keep commenting on Prescott but right now we need to concentrate on the small window cracked open for one year and let's see what we can do with it and then I'm all for blowing it all up in 2025...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I get what you’re saying. I would have been ok with bill coming in here. The only way he would have taken the job is because JJ would give him enough power to do what he needed to do.

I figured since the Defense played so bad against packers that it would give JJ a reason to keep MM. I dont like MM clock management. Sometimes his playcalling is sketchy. Dak needs to take more control this year and better his game this off season. With the QBs playing in the NFL today Dak is a top 10 QB. People can argue that all they want. But if we cut him then he would have a starting job tomorrow. I would like to see him calling his own plays. Let him sink or swim.

Quinn needs to be on the hot seat for sure but he is missing some key players.

But if we are going to run it back again next season then let’s get the players we need. And get me a good O-Line coach that will bring back a power running game. A OG, LB, another big DT and a good RB.

I think the offseason and what they do with Daks contract will tell us alot. No contract extension and eat the 60 million and we may be moving on if we don’t get further next season. MM is staying but is not getting contract extended. I think Dak gets the contract. JJ is ok with him. People will complain but it’s the going rate. We need a lower cap hit for this year and next. Big players to sign the next couple of years..

Daks first pick should have been a flag. He was wrapped around Gallup the whole time and shoved him out of the way. Gallup got up looking for the flag and so was the defender. He saw no flag and took off. The pick 6 was on Dak. He threw to the correct read. He was blitzed and threw towards the blitz to Lamb. But he was supposed to throw right to him and he was open. Instead he tried to lead him. Lamb had 2 choices because the defender was coming. He either catches it and gets laid out or knocks it down (which he tried). Instead the guy jumped the pass. He almost threw another but he dropped it in the endzone. He was supposed to throw high and behind TE to let him adjust. He has thrown that pass correctly the last few prior games.
there's a pretty big gap right now between Patrick mahomes and some of the other guys and Prescott's right in the mix with the other guys whether you like him or not he was an MVP candidate in consideration this year one of his best years...

he can't help that we didn't have a strong offensive line a run game, guys outside CD lamb not really getting open on a consistent basis the defense playing like total turds...

I mean we could keep commenting on Prescott but right now we need to concentrate on the small window cracked open for one year and let's see what we can do with it and then I'm all for blowing it all up in 2025...

i would not be extending prescott if it were me....
let's let mike McCarthy and Prescott both be lame duck...so either way I think they need to bite the bullet and just let him ride both together as lame duck prove it or move it..

I don't need to see an extension because they can do the back loading on the other contracts the free agents they bring in and our own players who are up for deals you can have really small 2024 numbers and let their numbers be backloaded big time...

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
McCarthy and Dak aren't the real problem. He is.......
"hey ,Dallas Cowboy fans"...I love ,ya....
giphy.gif
:laugh: We are a bunch of Suckers..... :laugh: :facepalm:

Creeper

Reaction score
Ordinarily, I do not like changing coaches like changing the sheets on the bed. I agree coaches need time and continuity is important. In most years I would not entertain the thought of changing coaches after 3 straight years of 12-5 records and 2 division championships. But this is not an ordinary year. Most years you don't see 3 coaches of the caliber of Belichick, Vrabel and Jim Harbaugh all available. If you want to upgrade your team, then why not consider an upgrade at the HC slot even if you think your coach is okay?

What are some of the problems we have seen under McCarthy? Penalties, discipline, lack of physicality come to mind. Is McCarthy every doing to bring these attributes to Dallas? After 4 years I think it is safe to say the answer is no. But who doubts Belichick, Vrabel and Harbaugh will fix these problems?

I like McCarthy, but these other 3 guys are better for Dallas IMO.

As for developing Dak, that's not the head coaches job. I think Mike has improved Dak in some ways. Dak was clearly better and more consistent this year. I think he maintained good mechanics the entire year which is a first I think. Dak mental issues are not going to be solved easily. He needs a running game to allow him to shed the full responsibility of success on every drive.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ordinarily, I do not like changing coaches like changing the sheets on the bed. I agree coaches need time and continuity is important. In most years I would not entertain the thought of changing coaches after 3 straight years of 12-5 records and 2 division championships. But this is not an ordinary year. Most years you don't see 3 coaches of the caliber of Belichick, Vrabel and Jim Harbaugh all available. If you want to upgrade your team, then why not consider an upgrade at the HC slot even if you think your coach is okay?

What are some of the problems we have seen under McCarthy? Penalties, discipline, lack of physicality come to mind. Is McCarthy every doing to bring these attributes to Dallas? After 4 years I think it is safe to say the answer is no. But who doubts Belichick, Vrabel and Harbaugh will fix these problems?

I like McCarthy, but these other 3 guys are better for Dallas IMO.

As for developing Dak, that's not the head coaches job. I think Mike has improved Dak in some ways. Dak was clearly better and more consistent this year. I think he maintained good mechanics the entire year which is a first I think. Dak mental issues are not going to be solved easily. He needs a running game to allow him to shed the full responsibility of success on every drive.

But, which of those three guys can actually deal with Jerry?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'm okay with losing in the first round of the playoffs. I'd hate to try to get better, it scares me. I'm just a wuss when it comes to change, it hurts my stomach and brings me to tears thinking about a new coach and QB....oh my,,, got to run to the crapper my stomach is rolling just thinking about it.

Toro9

Reaction score
He's not perfect but I'd stick with him too. For now.

JustChip

Reaction score
First of all it would make zero sense to cut Prescott even post June 1st show me the numbers I think it's still gonna cost this team 30 million in dead cap space even with a new coach say Bill Belichick he would have wanted a veteran quarterback at least in the first year so either way I think they need to bite the bullet and just let him ride both together as lame duck I don't need to see an extension because they can do the back loading on the other contracts the free agents they bring in and our own players who are up for deals you can have really small 2024 numbers and let their numbers be backloaded big time....

You can say Prescott's not a Tom Brady but you missed all the middle people there's a pretty big gap right now between Patrick mahomes and some of the other guys and Prescott's right in the mix with the other guys whether you like him or not he was an MVP candidate in consideration this year one of his best years he can't help that we didn't have a strong offensive line a run game guys outside CD lamb not really getting open on a consistent basis the defense playing like total turds I mean we could keep commenting on Prescott but right now we need to concentrate on the small window cracked open for one year and let's see what we can do with it and then I'm all for blowing it all up in 2025...
First, my comment about Dak not being Tom Brady specifically said I wasn’t talking about on the field. My point was that I don’t see Dak taking less or doing anything of significance to help the organization field a better overall team like Tom did.

I also referenced Pudge Rodriguez for comparison. Pudge set his agent aside and went directly to management to work out a deal beneficial for both. And he took heat from the MLBPA for doing so, but did it anyway.

I don’t know what the team can do salary cap wise. Maybe they can make moves to absorb next year’s cap hit without restructuring.

What I do know is that Dak will be here next year. He’s not getting cut nor traded and all the Zoners posting how either of those can be done are simply wasting their time and energy. That was decided with the announcement that McCarthy is coming back.

Now, I agree 100% with not extending Dak and let him play for his next contract if they can handle the cap hit. I just don’t know if they can. Especially with Stephen’s contract negotiation track record.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'm okay with Mike McCarthy staying. Jerry said what are going to do if you are not okay with it?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

After had some time to think about the Mike McCarthy situation and do some research (including hearing some interesting things about Andy Reid on the Pat McAfee Show), I've come to the conclusion that I'm okay with Mike McCarthy staying. Firstly, and I did not know this until it was mentioned on the show, Mike actually has a similar record to other well respected coaches. This is in the tweet above.

Secondly, they mentioned about how sometimes, it can take time for a coach to have his message settle and playoff collapses happen. Chuck Pagano, who used to coach the Colts and does segments on the PMS pointed out about how even Andy Reid had questions after a few years when he started there. I'm sure many of you who want Mike out would take Andy Reid in a heartbeat. Don't forget, his first year with the Chiefs, they blew a 38-10 lead early in the 3rd Quarter (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season) following an 11-5 record. I'd imagine some here would probably have wanted the seat to be hot for Reid if this happened here. His next season was a 9-7 record where they completely missed the playoffs. Following this, they went 11-5 and lost in the division round. Then they were 12-4 as the first seed (2016) and choked losing to the Steelers 18-16. By this point, you would have seen fans here screaming for Reid out. Oh, but then they go 1 and done AGAIN in 2017 losing to the Titans. Now, tbf, they had just drafted Mahomes that year, but the point remains. The fanbase here would have rioted had Andy Reid stayed past the 2016 season (and let's be honest, Mahomes was a bit of an unknown in 2017 when he was drafted). So, Pagano, as he explained that, pointed out how the Chiefs patience with Reid (along with getting Mahomes) paid off.

I don't know what the FO is going to do with Dak. I could see one of four things happening. One they extend Dak and intend to keep him here longer term and do nothing else at QB in the draft. Perhaps seeing if Mike's message is getting through to Dak a bit more. Afterall, this regular season was Dak's best yet. I know we want playoff success, but this is something to go on that I can see.

Two, they could extend Dak with the intention of using a June 1 cut on him at a later time to then draft his replacement. This, I think, may be the most likely move. Some of the younger QBs coming into the draft the next few years do look enticing. The next few drafts, including this one, could be very good with QB. Given what Mike was able to do to improve Dak, perhaps we can get a younger QB in to wait behind Dak knowing that he'll have about two or three years to grow in the McCarthy system. You don't just sack a coach who has had an impact on improving your QB. Especially one that has experience in developing QBs. So, I could see a Mahomes or Jordan Love situation happening where Dak, like Rodgers, is allowed to stay a bit longer while they develop a QB taken in round 1. Then, when the time is right, use the June 1 option to let the QB take over completely. I know many here want instant results, but this would actually be my favourite of the options that I see happening. This means that we could have the QB of the future enter the roster this year, while giving them time to develop.

Three, Dak gets a June 1 cut, this is an extreme option, but it could be used if they have a QB right now that they like. However, they'd be basically hoping that QB is immediately what Mahomes is now. Bear in mind, Mahomes did need a bit of development. So, I'm not sure if this is done, but this is a risky move.

Four, the Cowboys do nothing with Dak's contract. Highly doubt this happens given the contract impacts this season with the cap.

So, to boil down what I'm saying here, I'm fine with keeping Mike for now. I know the collapse was bad, but every coach has moments where the team collapses. Maybe, by being Jerry being patient, it can warrant success, as it has with other top coaches. I think the Cowboys next move should be to draft a QB this year to see if we can get a Mahomes or Jordan Love situation brewing. Especially given Mike's ability to develop a QB. If this is done, who knows where the team goes from there, and we might be thankful that Jerry actually was patient with Mike. So, given this, I am fine with Mike staying.

If they are going to keep the offensive and defensive schemes the same, then the onus is on the Joneses to improve the talent on this team so we can compete. Of course, we do get Diggs and Overshown back, but the goal has to be improving our areas of weakness.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
You're the only one who's trolling... All that said was just going by the last game but that wasn't the entire look for the year he did a lot of good things with Prescott in this offense we need a stronger run game which fixed a lot of these issues that people think that they're saying we need a bigger running back that stays healthy and a little bit better blocking scheme a few tweaks this offense can get rolled back with the same exact or similar players and we'll be just fine the defense is far worse to blame for most of the losses and even the Seattle win if you look at that kind of crap that they rolled out this team never had a chance even if they would have played perfectly and yes Mike McCarthy might have coached to not lose coached a little scared when he sees his defense can't stop anyone and looks at it and goes well we might have to score on every drive that's a lot of pressure I'm pointing to the defense first then we can work on the rest but all that way you said up there is not entirely true at all it one game at the end of the year it was true the whole team shift the bit...
McCarthy doesn't coach scared; he coaches stupid. He can't get his team up for the playoffs, by his own admission. There is no reason to bring him back unless you want the same results. Only next season we are playing tougher teams. The time was now to improve in all phases, and we are improving in none of them. Bringing McCarthy back is a white flag from Jerry. I'd be shocked if we even go out and get a better back.

JustChip

Reaction score
If they are going to keep the offensive and defensive schemes the same, then the onus is on the Joneses to improve the talent on this team so we can compete. Of course, we do get Diggs and Overshown back, but the goal has to be improving our areas of weakness.
The expectations for Overshown may be a little too aggressive. Most were championing Clark last year. Look at it now.