I'm willing to give Dak one more chance

DandyDon52

Reaction score
...with a different coaching staff.

Dak looks dreadful, but how many players could play well when the defense literally knows your play calls before you do? When your OC refuses to adapt to anything you do well and forces you to run plays that you don't? When they take out your freaking #1 WR on 1st and 10 to telegraph a run play and leave you in 2nd and long every time? When the guy coaching you every day is the same guy you beat out in practice?

I'm just saying. This may be a Dak problem and not a Garrett and Linehan problem, but I'm willing to take the final year of Dak's rookie deal to find out for sure.
that is what I have been saying, it is unfair to judge dak under these coaches.
no qb aside from romo has had any success here, parcells developed romo, and then there was the old guy in 2010, but he had like 14 years
experience from his days in detroit.
All the rest have been failures under jg.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Why did we not run the read option like the Titan's did to jump start their offense? Has that not been successful when we have run it?
stephen shut that down, he doesnt want dak getting hurt. and it is ineffective if dak never runs with ball.

So Dak is safe but we are losing games and wasting seasons.

wileedog

Reaction score
oh he was? And Brady was a 6th round pick for a reason. Romo went undrafted for a reason.

Dak was a 4th because of a DUI...if you must know.
No, he was a 4th because of lack of pocket awareness, inaccuracy, and inability to anticipate open receivers and deliver passes into tight windows, all integral skills in the NFL. Manziel was a first despite being a drunken idiot.

Those things have been on display all season.

Romo and Brady were both given the chance to sit on the bench and watch for a couple of years before being thrown into the starting spot for a team with playoff expectations. Dak was not, and I honestly think 2016 was the worst thing that could have happened to him and Cowboys despite how much fun that season might have been. Everything that could have gone right offensively did that year, but that's not how sports work year over year.

bodi

Reaction score
what for he was fourth rder for a reason

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
When are folks going to stop using Linehan and Garrett as a crutch for Dak? They have absolutely nothing to do with Dak’s spazzy tendencies under pressure, general lack of awareness in the pocket, erratic accuracy and spotty decision making.

No coach is going to come in and change Dak. At best, they could mask some of his short comings but then you’re wasting effort to mask your own QBs deficiencies.

JGRXXN

Reaction score
When are folks going to stop using Linehan and Garrett as a crutch for Dak? They have absolutely nothing to do with Dak’s spazzy tendencies under pressure, general lack of awareness in the pocket, erratic accuracy and spotty decision making.

No coach is going to come in and change Dak. At best, they could mask some of his short comings but then you’re wasting effort to mask your own QBs deficiencies.

Coaching matters g... why you think Romo Witt Dez TO etc are saying the samethings

Blackspider214

Reaction score
He wasn't rated much higher than a 4th in most mock drafts even before the DUI LOL

Who cares about mock drafts. By your logic, all of these 1st round QBs that are drafted year after year should be lighting it up, right? Because where they were drafted. Who cares where Dak was drafted.

You don't have the season he had as a rookie and then all of a sudden forget to play the game. And he carried that into the playoffs and went toe to toe with Rodgers.

You are seriously undervaluing coaching and what it does for young QBs. A young QB's biggest years are the transition from rookie year to his 2nd and 3rd year.

Again, go look at Jared Goff. And how he looked from rookie to his next years. That is Dak in reverse. Instead of Romo and Sanchez in his ear, he now has Kellen Moore.

I'd love to see Dak under a coach and system that fits his needs. Which is a lot of run pass option and a quick, rhythmic offense. This is what he ran in college and this is what we did his rookie year. But yeah now, we expect him to become something he isn't by becoming a traditional drop back passer? That isn't who he is. Yet that is the offense we run with him. Deep routes and long developing plays. But we don't actually develop a system to fit the QB's needs here. We have a set system in place and never deviate from it.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
I'm okay seeing what Dak can do with a coach that can actually call plays to his strengths and set up series of plays to take advantage of what the defense is doing. My guess is we'll have a new coach in 2019, see how Dak does there, and if he fails draft a QB in 2020 since there really won't be a day 1 starter available with a high 2nd rounder next year.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
He’d really have to make big improvements. Could be wrong,but I don’t see it happening myself. It’s been too many passes in the end zone where a play should be made,and it keeps coming up off timed,overthrown,or just a bad read like the pick today. That shouldn’t be the case in his 3rd year. And I’m not liking this lazy dunk and dunk crap either...what was that short lob in the 4th to Zeke? Come on man...that’s not cool with me. Have some conviction in his throws. I know that play seems a moot point in the scheme of things,but it really disappointed me. And to end it the way he did with a high sailer out of bounds??? Why? I don’t care if it gets picked off,it STILL needs to be in play to be able to make a play.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
stephen shut that down, he doesnt want dak getting hurt. and it is ineffective if dak never runs with ball.

So Dak is safe but we are losing games and wasting seasons.

You know, I can understand the thought process of not wanting to get your QB injured, but... This particular game obviously needed it and we needed this particular game for salvaging any hope on the season. I simply just don't get it.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Let’s be honest this has been Weeden and Cassell level quarterbacking so far this year. You guys are going off 2016 when defenses played us generically.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Nah, I'm good.

Everyone seems to want to forget that he was a 4th round choice for a reason. EVERY problem he is displaying for the past 2+ seasons are word for word his criticisms in his college scouting reports.

He had a magical, everything went right season in 2016. The coaching may suck, but this is who he is. A guy drafted to be at best a higher tier backup who is playing that way.

Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily

That was the scouting report on 6th round draft pick Tom Brady.................................And you can't tell me his coach had little or nothing to do with what he's become.............................

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dak will be the qb for the next 5-6 years and jg will most likely still be the HC

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily

That was the scouting report on 6th round draft pick Tom Brady.................................And you can't tell me his coach had little or nothing to do with what he's become.............................

Some people a just plain dilusional when saying coaching doesnt matter .

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Almost every lower round/undrafted QB that became very good or great had an equally good or great coach somewhere during their career...........