I'm willing to give Dak one more chance

wileedog

Reaction score
Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily

That was the scouting report on 6th round draft pick Tom Brady.................................And you can't tell me his coach had little or nothing to do with what he's become.............................
Yep, a bunch of scouts got 1 guy wrong 20 years ago. So they must be all wrong on this guy who has had *ONE* season where he did not display all of the things they have observed about him.

Great logic.

JGRXXN

Reaction score
Dak never had a modicum of the arm talent that Goff did coming out.

But yet Goff looked horrible and if Fish was still there the same... Im in LA so they come on TV and it was bad... You can teach your QB to step up in the pocket and throw with anticipation

SlammedZero

Reaction score
oh he was? And Brady was a 6th round pick for a reason. Romo went undrafted for a reason.

Dak was a 4th because of a DUI...if you must know.
I'm with you. Drafting a QB is throwing darts at a board and hoping they stick. Who cares where the player was drafted as long as he can play.

I think a new coaching staff could do wonders for Dak. He is never going to be elite but a good staff could at least make him serviceable. At least servicable enough to buy us some time in finding a franchise player. Not that I have faith in the FO to do so.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Go look at what people said about Goff his rookie year. That was Fisher's last year. He looked god awful at times and people were already calling him a bust. Gurley even regressed at times. You fire that stale, toxic staff and look what happened. Goff now becomes legit and in year 2 of the McVay era, their offense is on pace to be one of the most explosive offenses of all time. So far they are ahead of their magical 1999 Greatest Show on Turf team.

Look at all the top QBs and who their coaches are. The only QB I see who excels in spite of his coach is Rodgers. Coaching matters. Big time with these young QBs and young teams in general.

Not only that, Kellen Moore is his QB coach. Kellen Moore! The guy Dak beat out and made him quit football because he was so bad.

I guarantee you if Dak got to work with Reid, McVay, Pederson, Belichik or the others, he would be much further long in development. Is Dak ever going to be a great? I just don't believe Dak forgot how to play football from his 2016 rookie year that no one other rookie ever had to now. It's coaching. We did not adjust to now all the teams having film on Dak. He's not progressing under this staff. And it isn't just him. Zeke is regressing. The OL is regressing. This coaching staff is the worst in football. They are trying to make Dak into a pocket passer and that isn't who he is.

If I am Dak and want to actually grow as a QB and try to get back to 2016, I get as far away as this team as possible.

Amnesia much ?

Same coaches from his rookie year. Quit making the same False excuses for Dak. He sucks

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Yep, a bunch of scouts got 1 guy wrong 20 years ago. So they must be all wrong on this guy who has had *ONE* season where he did not display all of the things they have observed about him.

Great logic.

Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick...............Bart Starr a 17th rounder.................Romo and Kurt Warner and Warren Moon and Dave Kreig and Jeff Garcia and Jake Delhomme were all undrafted.............What was Russell Wilson , a 3rd rounder ? Stop trying to place all the blame on Dak alone when a Cowboys legend like Jason Witten was calling out the coaching staff the entire night for how predictable and ridiculous the entire Cowboys offensive system is.........

You think you know more than he does ?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Who cares about mock drafts. By your logic, all of these 1st round QBs that are drafted year after year should be lighting it up, right? Because where they were drafted. Who cares where Dak was drafted.

You don't have the season he had as a rookie and then all of a sudden forget to play the game. And he carried that into the playoffs and went toe to toe with Rodgers.

You are seriously undervaluing coaching and what it does for young QBs. A young QB's biggest years are the transition from rookie year to his 2nd and 3rd year.

Again, go look at Jared Goff. And how he looked from rookie to his next years. That is Dak in reverse. Instead of Romo and Sanchez in his ear, he now has Kellen Moore.

I'd love to see Dak under a coach and system that fits his needs. Which is a lot of run pass option and a quick, rhythmic offense. This is what he ran in college and this is what we did his rookie year. But yeah now, we expect him to become something he isn't by becoming a traditional drop back passer? That isn't who he is. Yet that is the offense we run with him. Deep routes and long developing plays. But we don't actually develop a system to fit the QB's needs here. We have a set system in place and never deviate from it.

Ignoring the rest of your post, because you apparently ignored the post I responded to - he stated the DUI dropped him in the draft. This isn't true - he a 4th rounder in a lot of mocked drafts and by scouts.

Take your crap elsewhere.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick...............Bart Starr a 17th rounder.................Romo and Kurt Warner and Warren Moon and Dave Kreig and Jeff Garcia and Jake Delhomme were all undrafted.............What was Russell Wilson , a 3rd rounder ? Stop trying to place all the blame on Dak alone when a Cowboys legend like Jason Witten was calling out the coaching staff the entire night for how predictable and ridiculous the entire Cowboys offensive system is.........

Witten was calling everyone out, including Dak. No one is stating it's ONLY on Dak.

You know, there are some people criticizing both the coaching staff and Dak and not choosing a side. You know, like me. I am having fun mocking you folks who were calling me names and trying to get me banned on here for pointing out the scrub Dak's flaws 2 years ago.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Witten was calling everyone out, including Dak. No one is stating it's ONLY on Dak.

You know, there are some people criticizing both the coaching staff and Dak and not choosing a side. You know, like me. I am having fun mocking you folks who were calling me names and trying to get me banned on here for pointing out the scrub Dak's flaws 2 years ago.

I'm not one who elevated Dak to legendary status at any time ; I'm simply pointing out his coaching staff is probably the worst in the NFL and how absurd it is to simply blame a 3rd year QB for all the glaring flaws plaguing this team..................................

wileedog

Reaction score

Now list me the all of the QBs drafted in the 4th or later who never stepped foot on the field. I'll wait, it's pretty long.

Point is this, its not all coaching or scheme. He is holding on to the ball to long. He's moving in the pocket before he has to. There are multiple guys open on multiple plays he doesn't pull the trigger on for some reason.

Romo played for years in this same system and in 2014 had a season that was in the conversation for MVP.

I get the coaching sucks, but it's not either or. And this idea that we should throw literally everything else out to accommodate a guy who was never really all that highly regarded in the first place is kinda stupid. He's not doing anything on the field the last couple of years to dissuade from the original assessment of him is wrong, scheme or no scheme.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Now list me the all of the QBs drafted in the 4th or later who never stepped foot on the field. I'll wait, it's pretty long.

Point is this, its not all coaching or scheme. He is holding on to the ball to long. He's moving in the pocket before he has to. There are multiple guys open on multiple plays he doesn't pull the trigger on for multiple reasons.

Romo played for years in this same system and in 2014 had a season that was in the conversation for MVP.

I get the coaching sucks, but it's not either or. And this idea that we should throw literally everything else out to accommodate a guy who was never really all that regarded in the first place is kinda stupid. He's not doing anything on the field the last couple of years to dissuade that the original assessment of him is wrong, scheme or no scheme.

"And this idea that we should throw literally everything else out to accommodate a guy who was never really all that regarded in the first place is kinda stupid."

It isn't to "accommodate" anyone ; retaining a system that is painfully and obviously outdated and completely ineffective is far more idiotic , no matter who the QB is...................

wileedog

Reaction score
"And this idea that we should throw literally everything else out to accommodate a guy who was never really all that regarded in the first place is kinda stupid."

It isn't to "accommodate" anyone ; retaining a system that is painfully and obviously outdated and completely ineffective is far more idiotic , no matter who the QB is...................
No one wants to get rid of Garrett and this offense more than I do, believe me.

But it is not mutually exclusive that perhaps Dak is not the guy to run the next version of the offense either. He has looked in over his head this season and most of last, and that is not all on coaching. In fact if I was a coach on the Cowboys now, I would be showing the film with multiple guys open in the scheme and Dak missing them.

That's not system. That is on execution.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
No one wants to get rid of Garrett and this offense more than I do, believe me.

But it is not mutually exclusive that perhaps Dak is not the guy to run the next version of the offense either. He has looked in over his head this season and most of last, and that is not all on coaching. In fact if I was a coach on the Cowboys now, I would be showing the film with multiple guys open in the scheme and Dak missing them.

That's not system. That is on execution.

Oh , Dak sucks at this point ; anyone who is trying to deny that is either a mental patient or one of his family members......................But using an utterly useless system coupled with a dubious starting QB is a recipe for one of the lowest scoring offenses in the NFL.................And we are.

Big_D

Reaction score
Daks getting that chance whether we like it or not!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
...with a different coaching staff.

Dak looks dreadful, but how many players could play well when the defense literally knows your play calls before you do? When your OC refuses to adapt to anything you do well and forces you to run plays that you don't? When they take out your freaking #1 WR on 1st and 10 to telegraph a run play and leave you in 2nd and long every time? When the guy coaching you every day is the same guy you beat out in practice?

I'm just saying. This may be a Dak problem and not a Garrett and Linehan problem, but I'm willing to take the final year of Dak's rookie deal to find out for sure.

Romo has the luxury of changing the plays at the LOS. How many times have we heard "kill, kill"? Dak doesn't have that luxury. He is forced to run the damn play as its called. These coaches are so predictable. The opposing defenses blitz their safeties right up to the middle to Zeke on every first down. Then we are stuck with 3rd and long. No wonder we can't sustain drives.

Dak was bad today. But what can you expect when you run the same plays over and over and hope for something different?

wileedog

Reaction score
Oh , Dak sucks at this point ; anyone who is trying to deny that is either a mental patient or one of his family members......................But using an utterly useless system coupled with a dubious starting QB is a recipe for one of the lowest scoring offenses in the NFL.................And we are.
I'll say it again, I have zero problem with Dak as a developmental project and long term backup QB at worst.

2016 was the worst thing that could have happened to him, especially with Romo's injury in Seattle. If Romo could have started another year or two with Dak holding a clipboard and learning, we would be so much better off than we are right now.

So would Dak.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
But yet Goff looked horrible and if Fish was still there the same... Im in LA so they come on TV and it was bad... You can teach your QB to step up in the pocket and throw with anticipation

Oh, is that all that's needed?

Someone to tell Dak he needs to step up and throw with anticipation.

Got it.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I'll say it again, I have zero problem with Dak as a developmental project and long term backup QB at worst.

2016 was the worst thing that could have happened to him, especially with Romo's injury in Seattle. If Romo could have started another year or two with Dak holding a clipboard and learning, we would be so much better off than we are right now.

So would Dak.
Not wrong but not the full picture.

A lot of media reports have cited Sanchez as the primary influence to Dak prior to Romo officially "passing the torch" and continuing to be a great influence after that.

Sanchez is currently a FA. K. Moore is a joke.

The move this team NEEDs to make is to fire K. Moore and bring Sanchez in as QB coach.