Impossible to win unless the QB takes a discount

Big_D

Reaction score
Dak is a deer in headlights when the moment is big. The money has little to do with it. We need a change at QB and I highly doubt that guy is on the roster.
They won’t win anything with him, it’s definitely time to move on. He’s overpriced even with a pay cut. Nothing about his salary is good, but this team never learns.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It can be.

Of course, when you swing and miss repeatedly in the draft, especially in the 2nd, it's going to sabotage a ton of areas.

Brady took around 15 mil less for TB. TB wouldn't have been able to keep those ultra important cogs that won them the super bowl if Brady insists on 40-45, most likely.

I'm curious. How do you not see a discount as helping a team? I truly don't understand. 5 mil would've bought a quality RB, for instance, that we desperately needed. Or a decent LB. Now, in our case, prolly not enough, that is true. However, that is largely due to Dak holding out for a shorter contract. We were unable to defer enough due to Dak insisting on a shorter contract. The longer the contract, the more a team is able to move money around. Dak really screwed us w/ the insistence on the short deal.
so that was Brady's last dance at 40 years. at that point it was more about getting a ring and sticking it to Patriots. but his situation is also slightly different than others, as at the time he was married to someone who made 3 times what he made. in his prior years and contracts, he gave discounts, but not to that extent. unusual circumstances.

I am not saying discount doesn't help. that wasn't my point. I said, discounts that some QBs have been given is not the difference between building a championship team or not. lets say Dak takes 50 instead of 60. is 10M going to close the gap for us making a championship team? some argue for FAs, but FA are either old, average, injured and the good ones cost a ton as a lot of teams will compete for their services. and I go back to separating cap hit on a given year, vs. average of the contract. like I said, Dak's cap hit was 17,19, 26. we signed a bunch of high priced FAs of our own. had 20M on the cap two years ago and last year about 15M. so not the issue with building, signing anyone obviously. but as I have been saying, there comes a time everyone has to make a decision. take a lump sum hit either in dead cap or active cap and move on. we are at that point. cap hit of about 59M. and then move on.

and Dak did what he did that's best for him. can't fault him for that. he took a short term deal. that was spread over 6 years to reduce cap hit and with expectations that at the end of 4 years, we redo contract. we are just choosing not to. also don't forget two years prior to the contract Dak and Jethro were 1M apart per year. Jethro played hard ball. didn't get contract signed. ended up franchising because the idiots didn't have another plan and paid more in franchise money difference than what was the difference in contrac value they wanted. and then they still didn't plan ahead and forced themselves into negotiating with Dak while he had the upper hand.

the fault for those contracts lie with the GM. not the players.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
not my dak, he's as good as Mahomes and deserves the money. he got one pity vote in the MVP race and almost won it.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Bet the house that Dak will not be signing for a penny less than Jalen Hurts ($51AAV, $179M guaranteed, $110@ signing)

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hope he gets 51, with 179 guaranteed, I'll celebrate it like it's a super bowl. Well, it is for me and the other dakies.

Redline360

Reaction score
Wouldn't matter if he was still on his rookie deal.

We had premier run game and offensive line and a defense that generated turnovers his first couple years. Granted run defense still sucked. Then we still had top 10 OL, decent run game and a defense who kept SF in check 2 years in a row and still did absolutely nothing.

He's not that guy and never will be. Different argument could be made if he played decent/good in the playoff losses but not when he's been atrocious and a major part of the problem. He needs to be gone asap

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Simple supply and demand.

Good GM's trade players when they ask for more than they are worth or even when it become detrimental to the team.

Not Jethro. He over pays or let's them walk for a comp picks the following year.
Jerry hasn’t been able to get any fair trades for a while , they let Amari walk for a 5th . That is because our GM gets too cuddly with players and pays them more than worth and also pays for past performances.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

We had premier run game and offensive line and a defense that generated turnovers his first couple years. Granted run defense still sucked. Then we still had top 10 OL, decent run game and a defense who kept SF in check 2 years in a row and still did absolutely nothing.

He's not that guy and never will be. Different argument could be made if he played decent/good in the playoff losses but not when he's been atrocious and a major part of the problem. He needs to be gone asap
I love how the defense continues to get a pass. They were terrible against SF. The score is misleading because they churned out very long drives that wore us down and shortened the game. Especially in the 2023 game. The 2nd half, this defense couldn't make a play to save its life. Diggs had about the easiest pick you will ever see and he flat out drops it. SF rammed it down our throats the entire 2nd half. We got bullied in the trenches in both games. Offense is the only unit who gets criticized and defense never gets an ounce of blame. Championship teams make plays on defense when it matters. Go look at KC. In seemingly every Super Bowl, their offense struggled big time. Defense made plays in all their wins to change the landscape. Either big stops, turnovers, big special teams play, scores by the defense. Ours does zero of that come playoff time. Especially the divisional round. Go back to every divisional round playoff game from this franchise this millenium and you will find in every single one, the defense was extremely soft and did zero.

The 2016 season, if the defense had even been average at best, we most likely get to the Super Bowl and maybe win. But nope, they let 3 straight drives to start the GB game end in TDs and we were down big before we knew what hit us. Same as this year's GB game.

Go look at KC's game against Baltimore in the AFC championship. They won a game where KC's offense after their first 2 drives scored a total of 3 pts after. KC's defense plays extremely well when it matters. Ours isn't even close.

Sandyf

Reaction score
you have a chance if he's top 10 all time, but did Brady get paid more than every other qb? QBs hog up too much of the cap. the first top 10 qbto realize this and take less will help start a dynasty
Let's see Mahomes has a half billion dollar contract which is about to go up and yet they seem to find the guys that keep them going. In another 5 years there won't be a single team that doesn't have a $50 million QB.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Let's see Mahomes has a half billion dollar contract which is about to go up and yet they seem to find the guys that keep them going. In another 5 years there won't be a single team that doesn't have a $50 million QB.
Maybe. The market seems pretty broken to me and broken markets do burst. QBs are worth more than other players but they are not worth a quarter of the cap in terms of WS and similar measurables.

tomokawan

Reaction score

The run defense that let the Rams run all over them in the playoffs??? Yea, that was Dak's fault too.

Chasing6

Reaction score

He's not that guy and never will be. Different argument could be made if he played decent/good in the playoff losses but not when he's been atrocious and a major part of the problem. He needs to be gone as
You are correct. As a 4th round pick he was supposed to win SB's his first 2 years. Man he sucks. He is worse than Purdy.

Brooksey

Reaction score
you have a chance if he's top 10 all time, but did Brady get paid more than every other qb? QBs hog up too much of the cap. the first top 10 qbto realize this and take less will help start a dynasty
Dak is to expensive for his post season production.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The Brady era is over. Mahomes got paid 500 million they just doing it over ten years
Mahommes signing that 10 year deal was a godsend to the Chiefs and their hopes of a continued dynasty. The salary cap will continue to increase, which allows them to continue pushing money forward for the foreseeable future.

Dak on the other hand opted for a 4 year deal, and you can see the dilemma the Cowboys are in now. Mahommes is clearly the best player in the league, yet his annual salary isn't too far off from Kirk Cousins. I'd say that's taking a massive discount for the sake of the team. I would've been fine with Dak signing a 10 year, $450m deal, but money is his first priority. He made his decision, and it hurt the team.

kskboys

Reaction score
so that was Brady's last dance at 40 years. at that point it was more about getting a ring and sticking it to Patriots. but his situation is also slightly different than others, as at the time he was married to someone who made 3 times what he made. in his prior years and contracts, he gave discounts, but not to that extent. unusual circumstances.

I am not saying discount doesn't help. that wasn't my point. I said, discounts that some QBs have been given is not the difference between building a championship team or not. lets say Dak takes 50 instead of 60. is 10M going to close the gap for us making a championship team? some argue for FAs, but FA are either old, average, injured and the good ones cost a ton as a lot of teams will compete for their services. and I go back to separating cap hit on a given year, vs. average of the contract. like I said, Dak's cap hit was 17,19, 26. we signed a bunch of high priced FAs of our own. had 20M on the cap two years ago and last year about 15M. so not the issue with building, signing anyone obviously. but as I have been saying, there comes a time everyone has to make a decision. take a lump sum hit either in dead cap or active cap and move on. we are at that point. cap hit of about 59M. and then move on.

and Dak did what he did that's best for him. can't fault him for that. he took a short term deal. that was spread over 6 years to reduce cap hit and with expectations that at the end of 4 years, we redo contract. we are just choosing not to. also don't forget two years prior to the contract Dak and Jethro were 1M apart per year. Jethro played hard ball. didn't get contract signed. ended up franchising because the idiots didn't have another plan and paid more in franchise money difference than what was the difference in contrac value they wanted. and then they still didn't plan ahead and forced themselves into negotiating with Dak while he had the upper hand.

the fault for those contracts lie with the GM. not the players.
I think you just repeated what you said previously.

Yes, 10 mil could make a difference.

kskboys

Reaction score
Mahommes signing that 10 year deal was a godsend to the Chiefs and their hopes of a continued dynasty. The salary cap will continue to increase, which allows them to continue pushing money forward for the foreseeable future.

Dak on the other hand opted for a 4 year deal, and you can see the dilemma the Cowboys are in now. Mahommes is clearly the best player in the league, yet his annual salary isn't too far off from Kirk Cousins. I'd say that's taking a massive discount for the sake of the team. I would've been fine with Dak signing a 10 year, $450m deal, but money is his first priority. He made his decision, and it hurt the team.
Opted? You mean insisted.

kskboys

Reaction score
I love how the defense continues to get a pass. They were terrible against SF. The score is misleading because they churned out very long drives that wore us down and shortened the game. Especially in the 2023 game. The 2nd half, this defense couldn't make a play to save its life. Diggs had about the easiest pick you will ever see and he flat out drops it. SF rammed it down our throats the entire 2nd half. We got bullied in the trenches in both games. Offense is the only unit who gets criticized and defense never gets an ounce of blame. Championship teams make plays on defense when it matters. Go look at KC. In seemingly every Super Bowl, their offense struggled big time. Defense made plays in all their wins to change the landscape. Either big stops, turnovers, big special teams play, scores by the defense. Ours does zero of that come playoff time. Especially the divisional round. Go back to every divisional round playoff game from this franchise this millenium and you will find in every single one, the defense was extremely soft and did zero.

The 2016 season, if the defense had even been average at best, we most likely get to the Super Bowl and maybe win. But nope, they let 3 straight drives to start the GB game end in TDs and we were down big before we knew what hit us. Same as this year's GB game.

Go look at KC's game against Baltimore in the AFC championship. They won a game where KC's offense after their first 2 drives scored a total of 3 pts after. KC's defense plays extremely well when it matters. Ours isn't even close.
That's because KC drafts big dudes for the DLine.