Impossible to win unless the QB takes a discount

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
It’s impossible to win with this QB…

Dak can’t throw past his first read consistently, no matter who the player is. We had Cooper, Lamb and a health Gallup…. Still sucked
but.....but.....Kurt Warner....Cole Beasley....something or the other

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

Wait what, Dak sucks against zone, makes a living throwing against bad defenses that are forced to play man, his “timing” is predetermined, meaning it all goes to hell when his first read gets thrown off, and so on..
Didn’t MM have him “bail” after his early reads weren’t there? How’d that work out?

40 Million a year doesn't buy you what it used to I guess.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
40 Million a year doesn't buy you what it used to I guess.
It's only to get worse from here as Dak is in year 9. This is the book on him and now everyone knows it. Even if he could theoretically change how he plays it is far too late into his career for that to make much difference as it takes a few years to make that kind of change to habits, idiosyncrasies, and muscle memory.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you have a chance if he's top 10 all time, but did Brady get paid more than every other qb? QBs hog up too much of the cap. the first top 10 qbto realize this and take less will help start a dynasty
its not necessarily taking a discount. its having ability to put a good team together. having an elite, generational QB helps cover lots of warts. but the past three years Dak's cap hit was 17,19, 26....and now they decided they are ready to move on, so a ballon last year and big cap hit. every team will come to this cross road. we could easily extend the contract and reduce cap hit to 20M. but should we? probably time to move on. both for Dak and the cowboys.

and how much discount did Brady take? 5M? is that the difference between a championship team and one that can't? I doubt it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Granted, it'd be interesting to see, if they were actually going "all in" this year, like you said. But they're not. Hard to tell what they really are doing, but it's not all in.
A lot of people think he's not signing anyone this year. But keep in mind who we are dealing with. Lamb and Dak may still get an extension this year. Just late to the party so that they are not expected to pick up higher priced FAs.

Then the cap hits for these players will be high enough to appear as to have not much room left for anything else. This is done strategically and intentionally to give the appearance of low cap space. Everybody buys is, so they keep doing it.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're separating Jerry being a bad GM, from the Dak situation.....THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME. Just as Dak is on the field, France easily identified and took advantage of Jerry's disposition of...'I like our guy's and i'll do anything to keep them'.

I agree about a real GM, however, I think we'd still be in this scenario, regardless of who was in charge as there's a large discrepancy between WORTH and MARKET..... there WILL BE, one GM that closes his one eye (and brain) to the play-off difficulties and can afford to take a chance, especially as Dak will probably take a short 3 year contract.

We do have a replacement, Trey, Dak fans were losing their mind on trading a 4th, how would you have reacted to us using anything more useful on a QB.
Trance is garbage. Could not even get on the field in HS.

tomokawan

Reaction score
I can't disagree. When the Cowboys are down, we're not seeing any heroic performances by our QB. The last one I remember was back in 2016 against the Eagles. Was there another one? We rarely ever come back in the final 2 minutes to win a game. We usually lose those. But I'll give him credit for driving the field to take the lead against the Dolphins last year. He rarely does that. Our D blew that game.
And we usually lose because the defense cant hold a lead. How many times have we seen that??? Think of just the Maimi game. There have been numerous over the last 20 years.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
you have a chance if he's top 10 all time, but did Brady get paid more than every other qb? QBs hog up too much of the cap. the first top 10 qbto realize this and take less will help start a dynasty
No way this team advances in the playoffs with this bus driver sucking up so much of the cap.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
QBs aren’t taking discounts. Look at the QB contracts that are being signed. Teams have to try and work around those high contracts.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Seems baseball has the same problem :muttley: You're a good pitcher you're going get 100 plus million. And that's low balling it;) Who knew:facepalm: same with basketball. 45 or more per year.....Owners take a pay cut so will the players. That ain't happening.....Get used to it. NOBODY IS GOING TO TAKE A PAYCUT!!!!! Brady was an abnormally.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
QBs aren’t taking discounts. Look at the QB contracts that are being signed. Teams have to try and work around those high contracts.
Sorry quarterbacks. Not top 10.....

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Discount won't matter. Stephen has no intention on signing any free agents above the minimum. They let hankins walk over a measley couple million. Dak could be free and it wouldn't matter to these fools.
Agreed...Shocking how people claim to be Dallas fans yet don't know how their org has worked:facepalm: These clowns wouldn't spend that extra money if Dak signed for minimum wage. So, why would Dak be dumb enough to give the money back to rich azzz Jerry??? Makes no sense for anybody not in a coma to do this.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak is a deer in headlights when the moment is big. The money has little to do with it. We need a change at QB and I highly doubt that guy is on the roster.

Loso86

Reaction score
Yup especially because 15 with the Cheifs is doing it.......right?

Flamma

Reaction score
Trance is garbage. Could not even get on the field in HS.
Thank God it was a day 3 pick. Still too early in day 3 for my liking. But there's a silver lining in this toilet bowl. If Lance ever starts a season for the Cowboys, we'll get a top 3 pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
its not necessarily taking a discount. its having ability to put a good team together. having an elite, generational QB helps cover lots of warts. but the past three years Dak's cap hit was 17,19, 26....and now they decided they are ready to move on, so a ballon last year and big cap hit. every team will come to this cross road. we could easily extend the contract and reduce cap hit to 20M. but should we? probably time to move on. both for Dak and the cowboys.

and how much discount did Brady take? 5M? is that the difference between a championship team and one that can't? I doubt it.
It can be.

Of course, when you swing and miss repeatedly in the draft, especially in the 2nd, it's going to sabotage a ton of areas.

Brady took around 15 mil less for TB. TB wouldn't have been able to keep those ultra important cogs that won them the super bowl if Brady insists on 40-45, most likely.

I'm curious. How do you not see a discount as helping a team? I truly don't understand. 5 mil would've bought a quality RB, for instance, that we desperately needed. Or a decent LB. Now, in our case, prolly not enough, that is true. However, that is largely due to Dak holding out for a shorter contract. We were unable to defer enough due to Dak insisting on a shorter contract. The longer the contract, the more a team is able to move money around. Dak really screwed us w/ the insistence on the short deal.

kskboys

Reaction score
The discount in today's NFL is about longer contracts. That 10 year deal signed by Mahomes is what is enabling them to keep key players such as Chris Jones.