In defense of Stephen in the Gregory negotiation

mardwin

Reaction score
How much will be his compensation pick?" Hopefully, we get a 3rd rounder.

Reactions: CWR

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can blame him because this is vintage awful negotiation by Stephen. He tries to play hardball and ends up losing at the end. If your guy has multiple offers on the table and he is taking less to play for you, you don't try to ramp up the terms at the last minute. It's insulting. Those are the kind of stipulations you outline up front and let him counter with a higher salary if he has to play under those stipulations.

No other team in the league would employ such an inept contract negotiator.

stiletto

Reaction score
I didn't want them to sign Gregory to that contract anyways, so if it takes them being stupid to screw it up then I'm cool with it. Their stupidity finally bailed us out of a bad situation instead of locking us into one.

Not sure I really can argue about that but I don't blame Gregory for bolting either. Just makes our FO look incompetent but everyone already knows they are anyways.

Ken

Reaction score
And thank God they did!
Maybe.

I liked the signing because they get him on a solid deal but he has never performed at the level his talent level would indicate he could. I had hopes that after playing the most he has ever played in the NFL, that he would take his 2nd year under DQ and take the next step.

At the same time, I am fine with him walking and using that money on others.

Reactions: CWR

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I see some are blaming him for his 11th hour contract verbiage that lost Gregory to Denver but that is a common negotiating tactic and how can he be faulted for trying to protect the club with a player with a spotty history?

I don't like Stephen but in this case, I will defend what he did, not really knowing what the 11th hour terms were but this team does not have a history with that so it had to be to protect the team.

Most refer to it as the "Columbo Close" and the timing of it is crucial. It is named for his "oh, one more thing" which was the real thing all along. It must be used when the buyer is already amenable to the close, objections have all been addressed and they want to do this.

I had it used against me many times and grew to expect it because it speaks to you are already in agreement and have just about taken ownership, you won't back out now. However, it does not allow for previous options being in place...like Denver with a matching offer on the table. I think that one caught them off guard.

You can bet this wasn't some last minute item they'd forgotten about, this was in the plan all along but it had to be played at the right moment. Do you think it was lost on them than in the last game of his contract year he behaved as he did on the field? His history with a tearful admission that he'd let his Mom down only to repeat that over and over again?

Think shades of Terrell Owens on his best behavior with one year renewable contracts until he got his three year deal. Say hello to the real Owens.

And this is a player that blew a drug test the week of the draft after being considered a top 15 pick. They had ample warning and the media would have been merciless with the cap situation and working it out to keep this guy should he go off the rails again. And something about Gregory made them nervous.

I really think Stephen did the right thing in this instance and if this 11th hour verbiage was behavior related and Gregory balked at that, that's all I need to know. He might be good in Denver but he had already proven what he could be in Dallas.

Given Stephen's track record, and that he will never be fired no matter how often he screws up, I'm not interested in defending him.

He's a joke at his job until proven otherwise. There's one way to prove himself, even if it takes 30 years. He hasn't come close, yet.

Motorola

Reaction score
I see some are blaming him for his 11th hour contract verbiage that lost Gregory to Denver but that is a common negotiating tactic and how can he be faulted for trying to protect the club with a player with a spotty history?

I don't like Stephen but in this case, I will defend what he did, not really knowing what the 11th hour terms were but this team does not have a history with that so it had to be to protect the team.

Most refer to it as the "Columbo Close" and the timing of it is crucial. It is named for his "oh, one more thing" which was the real thing all along. It must be used when the buyer is already amenable to the close, objections have all been addressed and they want to do this.

I had it used against me many times and grew to expect it because it speaks to you are already in agreement and have just about taken ownership, you won't back out now. However, it does not allow for previous options being in place...like Denver with a matching offer on the table. I think that one caught them off guard.

You can bet this wasn't some last minute item they'd forgotten about, this was in the plan all along but it had to be played at the right moment. Do you think it was lost on them than in the last game of his contract year he behaved as he did on the field? His history with a tearful admission that he'd let his Mom down only to repeat that over and over again?

Think shades of Terrell Owens on his best behavior with one year renewable contracts until he got his three year deal. Say hello to the real Owens.

And this is a player that blew a drug test the week of the draft after being considered a top 15 pick. They had ample warning and the media would have been merciless with the cap situation and working it out to keep this guy should he go off the rails again. And something about Gregory made them nervous.

I really think Stephen did the right thing in this instance and if this 11th hour verbiage was behavior related and Gregory balked at that, that's all I need to know. He might be good in Denver but he had already proven what he could be in Dallas.
Gregory narrative covered numerous years and seasons, with the Cowboys= Jones appealing to the Commissioner, along with character references from others (former and current players, professionals connected with his treatment, etc.).
If the Cowboys still had last-minute reservations about Gregory's ability\will to not regress into self-destructive behavior ---just move on already.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Denver looks like they’re going all in this year. Bronco fans must be excited.

If they can make playoffs in that division could be a force in the playoffs.

Adding Gregory to an already tough defense. That might be the havoc needed to disrupt those QB’s in the West.

CWR

Reaction score
For most players, I might feel like saying "what the hell" with Stephen trying to put a behavior clause in the contract. But considering Gregory's history, I'm not going to blame a club for trying to protect itself.

After all, this is a guy who:
  • Never has played a full NFL Season
  • Never surpassed 6 sacks in an NFL Season
  • Never was great in Run Defense
  • Only was the started for 11 games in a single season (hell, 12 in total)
  • And is a behavioral suspension away from potentially being out of the NFL forever
I mean, the only real plus side on Gregory is for a nearly 30 year old, he should have very little NFL wear and tear on his body because he has almost missed 2x more games than he has played.

So ya. I'm sure we can find a "6 Sack Guy" at a MUCH lower cost and risk.

JMHO

Nice posts. All good points. I liked Gregory, but wasn't big either way on the contract. This adds perspective.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gregory narrative covered numerous years and seasons, with the Cowboys= Jones appealing to the Commissioner, along with character references from others (former and current players, professionals connected with his treatment, etc.).
If the Cowboys still had last-minute reservations about Gregory's ability\will to not regress into self-destructive behavior ---just move on already.
We chose Lawrence over Gregory which wasn’t decided by talent alone.

CWR

Reaction score
Maybe.

I liked the signing because they get him on a solid deal but he has never performed at the level his talent level would indicate he could. I had hopes that after playing the most he has ever played in the NFL, that he would take his 2nd year under DQ and take the next step.

At the same time, I am fine with him walking and using that money on others.

Yeah that was kind of my take. It is all about what we do next.

Reactions: Ken

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
No.

No matter the motivation, you cannot add (nor change) terms in a contract after it’s been agreed to. If that important, bring it up during negotiation.

Incredibly bush league.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
14m$ a year for Randy Gregory is not a great deal, even if you could get out of it after 2-3 years.

Why not spend that money on a player you don’t want to dump after a couple of seasons? Someone who you dont Expect to disappoint you?

IMO, Dallas has the opportunity now to have a better pass rush than last year, and that’s one heck of a silver lining

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Denver paid him it without the protection.
They neither know him nor have history with him. The Cowboys were taking a chance because they feel they have to. If DEN thinks they're striking a payload like they did with Ware, they're going to be surprised.

manster4ever

Reaction score

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

it’s not an issue if you present that to the player and agent when you agree to terms of a new contract. The player can accept it or decline it. That’s no big deal. It’s when you bring those conditions to the the table after a contract has been negotiated in the 11th hour that it comes off very used car sales man ish and not transparent at all.

I’m in sales and when I close the deal I’m upfront and honest about everything right before we close- I don’t bring something to the table at closing without ever mentioning it. That’s a deal killer and it killed this deal.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
To be honest, even when Gregory was drafted, he has always been a better fit as a 3-4 LB, so the thought that he was even going to stay with the Cowboys is a bit of loyalty. He probably sent Stephen a thank you note from Denver for giving him an out. Ware stayed healthier there as an OLB too.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it’s not an issue if you present that to the player and agent when you agree to terms of a new contract. The player can accept it or decline it. That’s no big deal. It’s when you bring those conditions to the the table after a contract has been negotiated in the 11th hour that it comes off very used car sales man ish and not transparent at all.

I’m in sales and when I close the deal I’m upfront and honest about everything right before we close- I don’t bring something to the table at closing without ever mentioning it. That’s a deal killer and it killed this deal.
We don't know where they were in the agreement stage. Had they closed it up as a done deal or were they still negotiating? Just because it was disclosed that he was signing does not mean it was a done deal. These releases are coming from agents trolling for clients.

I do think they got blindsided that there was another offer and a matching one, what a surprise.