Inside Texas reported that Alabama head coach Nick Saban will be announced as Longhorns coach

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I'm sure with all that money to throw around they'll get the right guy for the program.

Aikbach

Reaction score
I'm sure with all that money to throw around they'll get the right guy for the program.

5.4 million a year can get you a lot of Mack Brown. This hire will have to take a leap of faith in an up and comer, the established options have either been taken off the table or simply fail to be compelling.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Colin Cowherd of ESPN radio said there are rumors of Rex Ryan as a candidate.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
No way -- Too irreverent and free-spirited (rebellious).

Not the RKG for that program.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
what is truly pathetic is that you consider yourself an expert

Heyyyyy............Children!!!...........Ease up, there big fella.

The hire at UT will in no way be based on any of our opinions, nor will it affect world peace or sun spots.

I can confidently say that a billion chinese don't give a fat rat's butt; but then, what do they know about football?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various:
whomever Texas gets will be a good hire.
the committee approach is actually a good one.
it allows you to vet multiple people at once and come up with a list you can work through quickly.

20 guys all say they dont want the job... yea of course they dont....
saban hated the idea so much alabama just gave him another 2m a year and a 40% raise... lol.
whomever takes the job will be highly coveted.
at the pay rate for the quality of job very few would actually say no.

saban too old? this is nonsense. saban would have recrutied a top 5 class every year he coached the team.
probably top overall most years.
so even when he left he'd have left a roster full of talent that could be handed to kirby smart or whomever was his top asst at the time.
that would have been a slam dunk.

they could go 100 ways and rumors are dying down substantially now.

the fit will probably end up something like Sark at USC.
someone who has recruited the state and has ties to the school on some level.

visionary

Reaction score
Heyyyyy............Children!!!...........Ease up, there big fella.

The hire at UT will in no way be based on any of our opinions, nor will it affect world peace or sun spots.

I can confidently say that a billion chinese don't give a fat rat's butt; but then, what do they know about football?

dang!!

all the UT homers had assured me it would :)

visionary

Reaction score
5.4 million a year can get you a lot of Mack Brown. This hire will have to take a leap of faith in an up and comer, the established options have either been taken off the table or simply fail to be compelling.

maybe they can hire Mack Brown again :)

visionary

Reaction score
Garrett will be available after this season. No doubt Red Ball will be on top of a very short list.

not sure what is more funny

that you think that any self respecting program would even consider Garrett as a HC or the thought of the laughing stock Garrett would make UT if he goes there

come to think of it... they are both equally funny in a VERY VERY funny way

Aikbach

Reaction score
Briles has now made it clear he's not interested in UT or any place else.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...ylor-s-facilities-the-grass-is-green-here.ece

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Briles has now made it clear he's not interested in UT or any place else.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...ylor-s-facilities-the-grass-is-green-here.ece

are you convincing yourself or us?
when they stop asking we'll believe it.
the number of guys linked to jobs who denied ANY interest then left a week later is much longer than one where a guy admitted interest and left.

Briles is VERY likely staying at Baylor but again that extension wasn't just a reward for a good season.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I doubt UT was ever going to pursue Briles. They probably should, but I doubt they ever gave him any real consideration.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I doubt UT was ever going to pursue Briles. They probably should, but I doubt they ever gave him any real consideration.

The more I've heard from various commentators since Mack got canned, the more I've heard the type of thing that ABQ has been saying. I believe one guy said in their minds, they think they can get Bill Walsh as OC, Bill Belichick as DC, and Vince Lombardi as HC. So they probably do believe Briles isn't good enough for them. But the guy they hire likely won't be as good a coach as he is.

Aikbach

Reaction score
are you convincing yourself or us?
when they stop asking we'll believe it.
the number of guys linked to jobs who denied ANY interest then left a week later is much longer than one where a guy admitted interest and left.

Briles is VERY likely staying at Baylor but again that extension wasn't just a reward for a good season.

Short of cursing UT briles has made it clear he's content where he's at, he has the best program in the conference at present, what incentive is there to try and turn a different program into what he has? Which is exactly what he's been saying when he says his grass is already green...and gold.

Rogah

Reaction score
Right, right, yeah....... Because you are some sort of expert on it right?

"There will be a few but not many."

That's exactly what I would say about a job like Texas. Texas is not and never has been interested in hiring guys who will only be there for a few years. That's just no how they opperate but I know. You will try to pass this off as some sort of Homer Speak.

Whatever makes you feel better.
Texas would have hired Saban in a heartbeat, even though he is well into his 60's and they knew they would only have him for "a few years."

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Texas would have hired Saban in a heartbeat, even though he is well into his 60's and they knew they would only have him for "a few years."

Well, they certainly could have had they wanted to. Saban didn't leave that agreement sitting on his desk for a week or so because he wasn't thinking about taking the money IMO. Had Texas wanted him and had they upped the price for pocker, I'm sure they could have had him. They didn't want to go there and Saban took the Alabama extension, which is fine with me.

I'm actually glad this is all over.

Phoenix

Reaction score
texas-final-four-full.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
So, based on the title of the original thread, should "Inside Texas" be issuing an apology?

Rogah

Reaction score
Well, they certainly could have had they wanted to.
Wow. You're in worse denial than the average Notre Dame fan.

Fact is they wanted him, they pursued him and they couldn't get him. He played Texas to squeeze a little more money out of Alabama.