Inside Texas reported that Alabama head coach Nick Saban will be announced as Longhorns coach

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They can learn from Baylor what not to do and what to do, Baylor regents back in 1992 basically forced Grant Teaff into retirement early, thinking he was past his prime and that Baylor could do better than the consistent 9 win seasons Teaff was providing. So they politicked Teaff out earlier than he desired and promoted offensive coordinator Chuck Reedy, Teaff being the consummate gentleman obliged without any quarrel and as consolation was made a regent before becoming the Director of the American Football Coaches Association.

Reedy promptly won a four way tie for the conference title in the last ever season of the SWC and lost the Alamo Bowl, he then had an unremarkable 7-5 and bowless season in the first year of Big 12 play and Baylor regents canned him, citing unmet expectations...but boy, the day would soon come that Reedy looked like a friggin' success story.

Baylor entered the Big 12 with SWC mentality and budget and gave nothing to Lou Holtz disciple Dave Roberts in two unremarkable seasons before firing him, then they made the worst hire to date to compliment their cheap purse strings, Carolina Panthers Linebacker Coach Kevin Steele, who's claim to fame was a heated sideline fist fight with Linebacker Kevin Greene.

Steele destroyed Baylor football, extinguished any ember of potential and mediocrity that had lingered post Teaff in his 4 shameful seasons in Waco.

Next up came a decent coach with no recruiting skills that walked into the aftermath of the Steele years, Guy Morriss, in a five year tenure he teased improvement from time to time, only to see teams that appeared bowl worthy finish 5-6.

Finally Baylor got an exceptional and visionary AD who interviewed one man, and one man alone despite fan calls for Mike Singletary (Singletary had volunteered himself for the job), the man was Art Briles, who was offered the job a day after interviewing.

Moral of the story is make sure you hire the right guy when replacing a legend, just because the legend has aged doesn't mean you won't soon prove that you miss him.

UT obviously has all the money to throw around in the world, but they still need to get the right pieces in place, this will test Patteron's competence immediately. If they got the AD hire wrong it will be a bad domino effect, if they got it right they could rebound in short order.

It is always about finding the right guy.
Who they replace or how it is handled is just noise.
None of that matters on the field.

When Texas Tech hired Tubs it was just a bad hire. Tubs campaigned HEAVILY for that job then hated Lubbock, Texas. He hired a great recruiting coordinator, Prunty but was terrible as recruiter himself.

Kliff was the right guy for Tech. No idea how long it takes or if he wins big but he was the right guy.
If UT gets their right guy a year from now no one will care what Mack Brown is doing.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Thanks Mack for all the great years, I wish he could have gone out on better terms. I'll always have a ton of respect for Coach Brown. He's up their with Akers and Royal.

Now, time to talk about who the next coach will be.

I don't really have a clue, but I'm going to throw this longshot out there. Don't be surprised if the next Texas coach still is from an Alabama school. You know, the one playing for a National Championship.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If UT gets their right guy a year from now no one will care what Mack Brown is doing.
That's really the bottom line. If they got a Gus Malzahn (no God no) or a Shaw or some other top coach like they should, I don't think Brown will be mourned the way he is right now by at least some people... Which I still don't understand, but whatever.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Thanks Mack for all the great years, I wish he could have gone out on better terms. I'll always have a ton of respect for Coach Brown. He's up their with Akers and Royal.

Now, time to talk about who the next coach will be.

I don't really have a clue, but I'm going to throw this longshot out there. Don't be surprised if the next Texas coach still is from an Alabama school. You know, the one playing for a National Championship.

I agree that Mack deserves a lot of respect. It was time to go though & I am guessing he will end up with some sort of position in the athletic dept.

Rogah

Reaction score
He's also 63, not young, very expensive and more then likely, not long for the job. You want to call it sour grapes, you are entitled to your own opinion. I call it common sense.

It's not really a tough concept to get if your actually paying attention.
Really? It's "common sense" that David Shaw and Mike Tomlin would be better candidates than Nick Saban, the greatest college coach of his generation? Really..?!?! LOLOLOLOLOL

Rogah

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight so I can actually think unlike you. You are so incredibly homeristic its hilarious. You make us laugh - at you.
True dat. The homerism it great! It's absolutely hilarious that someone is claiming that it is "common sense" that David Shaw is a preferable candidate to Nick Saban.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i don't think david shaw is preferable to nick saban, buts its not farfetched that some would prefer him because of his age and accomplishments at stanford. I would, however, say that at least personally, id rather have jim harbaugh coach UT than Saban, its not even close for me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Really? It's "common sense" that David Shaw and Mike Tomlin would be better candidates than Nick Saban, the greatest college coach of his generation? Really..?!?! LOLOLOLOLOL

Yep, pretty much. Tomlin is 41 and Shaw is also 41. Why would you hire a coach that is the same age as the one you are firing?

Like I said, not are hard concept really.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Was reported that Pat Fitzgerald was on Campus Tuesday (Yesterday Dec 17th) to watch a Texas Practice.

That's interesting.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

DFWJC

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I've heard Gruden's name pop up more than once now.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Yep, pretty much. Tomlin is 41 and Shaw is also 41. Why would you hire a coach that is the same age as the one you are firing?

Like I said, not are hard concept really.

only to homers. The age of someone being 10 years or so at a single school are all but gone. There will be a few but not many. So frankly the age of the coach is all but irrelevent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
only to homers. The age of someone being 10 years or so at a single school are all but gone. There will be a few but not many. So frankly the age of the coach is all but irrelevent.

Right, right, yeah....... Because you are some sort of expert on it right?

"There will be a few but not many."

That's exactly what I would say about a job like Texas. Texas is not and never has been interested in hiring guys who will only be there for a few years. That's just no how they opperate but I know. You will try to pass this off as some sort of Homer Speak.

Whatever makes you feel better.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I'm sure they'll find a top notch coach.

It's one of the best coaching jobs anywhere. I have no doubt it'll be a great hire.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Right, right, yeah....... Because you are some sort of expert on it right?

"There will be a few but not many."

That's exactly what I would say about a job like Texas. Texas is not and never has been interested in hiring guys who will only be there for a few years. That's just no how they opperate but I know. You will try to pass this off as some sort of Homer Speak.

Whatever makes you feel better.

what is truly pathetic is that you consider yourself an expert

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I'm sure they'll find a top notch coach.

It's one of the best coaching jobs anywhere. I have no doubt it'll be a great hire.

Garrett will be available after this season. No doubt Red Ball will be on top of a very short list.

Aikbach

Reaction score
UT job is very similar to the Dallas Cowboys job, huge brand, entitled fanbase, high expectations, mediocre product on the field despite great resources.

I really think not getting Saban was devastating, and everything now is plan B.