Interesting Kiper idea...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I was listening to ESPNRadio last night and they had Mel Kiper on...

He feels the draft should be moved up to around Feb 25 so teams could quit overanalyzing the players and go with what they have (recently) seen on the field.

I got to thinking that this was a good idea for several reasons...
  1. As Kiper said, it would stop the constant overanalyzing of college players.
  2. It would allow contracts to get done a LOT faster, thereby ending alot of holdouts
  3. It would allow teams to get rooks into mini-camps earlier and make the transition into the NFL smoother.
  4. It would allow rooks the chance to start studying schemes and plays 2 months earlier.
  5. The combine would come into more importance as it would occur just before the draft.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
trickblue said:

He feels the draft should be moved up to around Feb 25 so teams could quit overanalyzing the players and go with what they have (recently) seen on the field.

2. It would allow contracts to get done a LOT faster, thereby ending alot of holdouts
  3. It would allow teams to get rooks into mini-camps earlier and make the transition into the NFL smoother.
  4. It would allow rooks the chance to start studying schemes and plays 2 months earlier.
  5. The combine would come into more importance as it would occur just before the draft.

All good ideas. One bad thing would be how many rookies would drop out of college at that point to attend to their NFL team needs and spend all of that newly aquired NFL money.

I think it would increase drop out rates.

Woods

Reaction score
But it would make the off-season even longer! :laugh1:

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Exactly, juner to september is long enough. February to September with nothing to talk about!!! :eek:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I see one possible flaw........Would you want the Draft held before the designated time allocated for FA?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yeah. But these are COLLEGE students. The league rules prohibit draftees from going to camp unless their semester/quarter is over -- which is usually May or June. Also, if they are studying schemes then it is even less likely that many will take the time to finish their degree -- the numbers of degree completers is already low - it would be awful if the league made it even harder on kids to finish. You simply can't do your school work if your "job" is to study schemes.

burmafrd

Reaction score
start FA one week after the Pro Bowl. then 1 month after that the draft. that gives plenty of time for the combine and workouts. This year means that FA would have started Feb 19; with the draft March 18-19. that gives more time for negotiations before mini camps start.

trickblue

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Yeah. But these are COLLEGE students. The league rules prohibit draftees from going to camp unless their semester/quarter is over -- which is usually May or June. Also, if they are studying schemes then it is even less likely that many will take the time to finish their degree -- the numbers of degree completers is already low - it would be awful if the league made it even harder on kids to finish. You simply can't do your school work if your "job" is to study schemes.

That's one thing I considered...

BUT... if it was contracts alone it would make it worth it, plus most graduating seniors have very light loads their final semester anyway...

aznhalf

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I see one possible flaw........Would you want the Draft held before the designated time allocated for FA?

Thats what I was thinking. You would want to be able to see what holes you can fill in FA before using the draft. Hard for teams to count on filling a hole in FA if they don't know if their target player will be resigned, franchised, etc.

Not only that but you can't even trade yet! Would make moving up or down a challenge:) Though, I'm assuming that he inteded for the trading to be opened up before that point and time.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
trickblue said:

The players invited to the Combines would have to work out. There wouldn't be much time for Pro Day workouts at their school.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
aznhalf said:
Thats what I was thinking. You would want to be able to see what holes you can fill in FA before using the draft. Hard for teams to count on filling a hole in FA if they don't know if their target player will be resigned, franchised, etc.

Not only that but you can't even trade yet! Would make moving up or down a challenge:) Though, I'm assuming that he inteded for the trading to be opened up before that point and time.

it would have to be.

trickblue

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The players invited to the Combines would have to work out. There wouldn't be much time for Pro Day workouts at tehir school.

Exactly... and I think that is part of what Kiper was talking about... overanalyzation...

These teams already pretty much know what the kid is capable of, why break him down to "We really liked his 40 time but his vertical jump was an inch shorter than a few others at his position, plus his reaction time in Madden 2005 was just not up to par"... ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
I actually would prefer that. The Draft is an allocation where you choose from who is left to you when it is your turn. Once the Draft was done let's say your only holes left was kicker and Free Safety, you would then go into Free Agency more focused on filling those 2 needs.

trickblue

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I actually would prefer that. The Draft is an allocation where you choose from who is left to you when it is your turn. Once the Draft was done let's say your only holes left was kicker and Free Safety, you would then go into Free Agency more focused on filling those 2 needs.

It would certainly force teams to draft more for need than for bpa...

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
trickblue said:

I don't think moving the draft day up will help contracts get done any sooner because teams wait until the last minute to sign Draftees. I heard one reporter say it's becasue what person in their right mind would write a 10 million dollar check today when they don't have to until two months away. Think of the interest they would lose by doing that.
So on that line of thinking I don't think moving the draft would help the signing of Rookie's at all....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
trickblue said:
It would certainly force teams to draft more for need than for bpa...
That is true.

I think if they did this the other solution would be to move back Free Agency to May 1st, and have 1 Free Agency signing period instead of 2, 1 at the end of February and the other after June 1.

trickblue

Reaction score
Hostile said:
That is true.

I think if they did this the other solution would be to move back Free Agency to May 1st, and have 1 Free Agency signing period instead of 2, 1 at the end of February and the other after June 1.

I like that better anyway... they are far apart on the new cba right now... that would have to be figured in...