Interesting Nuggets of Info on Offensive Scheme Last Season

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way linehan was let go after Garrett saying otherwise would suggest something else.

Only that Garrett was trying to let Linehan find another job at Senior Bowl week, which is a pretty normal thing to do.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
While the easy thing to do is blame Linehan for all the wrong doings, I think in fairness he had to run a simplified passing scheme because it's easier for a less accurate QB to throw to spots. We weren't running that same scheme Romo and Linehan.

I think where it's fair to criticize Linehan is not utilizing Dak's strengths as the article highlights.

LOL...... of course. Its always Daks fault. Garrett and linehan have sucked for how long?

The play action has been missing for ever, even in romo days. The Deep ball has been missing forever even in Romo years. The boring, predictable, conservative play calling nonsense has been going on well before Dak ever got here.

The redzone woes, the inefficiency in the offense all been going on for years.

Thats basically troll logic. Where in some way in some form, whatever anyone says bad about the Cowboys, trolls like you find some way to blame it on Dak. LOL

60 sacks become Daks fault. Suddenly sacks allowed are a new stat. Its now 60 sacks taken by Dak. When in 2016 there were 28 sacks and 2017 there were 32 sacks. And Dak was the QB those years as well.

And in 2016 and 2017 it was simply because the line was sooo good. Nothing to do with Dak. But all of a sudden in 2018 its nothing to do with the line, now its just Dak. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Did you copy and paste anti-Dak talking points from Shannon Sharpe? Sure sounds like it. Everything you said pretty much is untrue. It must suck for you to follow this team knowing full well Dak is the franchise QB and here to stay for many years. How will you cope with that?

The beauty of these trolls is knowing that Dak is about to sign a nice long term deal that will lock up one of the best young QB's in the NFL for at least another 5 years.

And the trolls are reeling. They get more desperate every week.

You could go on any Giants or Eagles forum and these trolls would say the same stupidity about Dak and even those fans would laugh in their face. LOL

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Only that Garrett was trying to let Linehan find another job at Senior Bowl week, which is a pretty normal thing to do.

Must be hard to defend a guy that everyone thinks is terrible. LOL

Whats that like? Being all alone? Is it lonely?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
$100 bucks says you're wrong. I give it a 5 year window, Dak will lead the Cowboys to at least 1 SB.

With Garrett here you think the Cowboys will win a SB?

Probably will have to beat at least two if not all 3 coaches in Payton, McVay, and Belli?

Not a chance. At some point, even if we have more talent, the horrid Garrett will rear its ugly head. He will bumble clock management, boring gameplan, no adjustments. Beating all 3 of these guys just seems like a total joke with the horrid Garrett at the helm.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
$100 bucks says you're wrong. I give it a 5 year window, Dak will lead the Cowboys to at least 1 SB.

I will actually take that bet and say no way. Not as long as Garrett is here. Unless the guy is reduced to clapping cheerleader and Moore completely takes over the offense and gameplanning.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Must be hard to defend a guy that everyone thinks is terrible. LOL

Whats that like? Being all alone? Is it lonely?

Being all alone is lonely by definition, yes. Great question.

I console myself by knowing I’m not a reactionary know-nothing barking at shadows because I don’t know what else to do instead, and that helps.

cern

Reaction score

I console myself by knowing I’m not a reactionary know-nothing barking at shadows because I don’t know what else to do instead, and that helps.
Loneliness expresses the pain of being alone and Solitude expresses the glory of being alone.............paul tillich. Sometimes being alone is a good thing.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
LOL...... of course. Its always Daks fault. Garrett and linehan have sucked for how long?

The play action has been missing for ever, even in romo days. The Deep ball has been missing forever even in Romo years. The boring, predictable, conservative play calling nonsense has been going on well before Dak ever got here.

The redzone woes, the inefficiency in the offense all been going on for years.

Thats basically troll logic. Where in some way in some form, whatever anyone says bad about the Cowboys, trolls like you find some way to blame it on Dak. LOL

60 sacks become Daks fault. Suddenly sacks allowed are a new stat. Its now 60 sacks taken by Dak. When in 2016 there were 28 sacks and 2017 there were 32 sacks. And Dak was the QB those years as well.

And in 2016 and 2017 it was simply because the line was sooo good. Nothing to do with Dak. But all of a sudden in 2018 its nothing to do with the line, now its just Dak. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao:

It's not just the deep passes it's the type of deep passes that have been missing even before Dak. We have 2 deep plays, straight down the sideline and dble move down the sideline, we don't have deep posts, deep corner or deep crosses. We didn't run those with Romo either.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
All I'm saying is there is a reason no other team has scooped up Linehan yet for his services.

Total Garrett hire based on nothing but the year they spent together in Miami. Only Jason Calvin Garrett can grab a career NFL underachiever and sell him to the Jones family as an "outstanding offensive coordinator."
I literally got angry when I read “outstanding offensive coach” while I pictured his stupid face saying that. And that’s exactly what he would say.

Mother******* ****. I’m really really tired of his speaking style and him in general.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Confirming what we already know. For the record, I despise these stick and curl routes, but I think the spread offense is a good way to beat the 8 men in the box.

To be fair, under Linehan, defenses always knew what the Cowboys were going to do, they just couldn’t stop them with Zeke and the monster offensive line.

All they need this year is more presnap motion and some variety on the routes and this offense will be dangerous.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...their-chances-of-reaching-super-bowl-liv/amp/

The first subtitle is where the info is.

Yes this is some of the stuff we already know but it’s May and interesting to get some numbers and data behind it. Gives us an idea of how Linehan has held Dak back.

“Far too many of the Cowboys' passing-down snaps last year involved them spreading the field with three receivers and a tight end, all of whom ran identical comeback routes to the sticks. It was predictable and incredibly easy for defenses to cover. Linehan's lack of creativity most often manifested itself in Prescott having to throw into tight coverage far too often. Last year, 17.7 percent of his passes were thrown into tight coverage, per NFL.com's NextGen Stats, a figure that ranked 29th out of 38 qualified quarterbacks. Prescott also threw short of the sticks by an average of 1.5 yards per pass, which ranked 28th out of the same group of 38 players.

The Cowboys also had Prescott throw just 11 passes on RPO (run-pass option) plays last season, per Sports Info Solutions, a figure that is frankly embarrassing given Prescott's obvious strength with RPO schemes. He averaged 9.5 yards per pass on those throws, which allow him to combine his skill at play-fakes, quickly reading defenses, and using his legs and athleticism to make plays on the perimeter if necessary. The Cowboys don't need to do this on every snap, but a considerable increase is certainly called for.

Prescott should also just be throwing after a play-action fake more often in general. Given the strength of the Cowboys' run game and opposing defenses' obvious inclination to stop Ezekiel Elliott, it should not be surprising that Prescott has been a far more efficient passer on play-action plays (where he is one of the best in the league) than on straight drop backs (where he is merely average) throughout his three-year career. Consider the following figures, per Pro Football Focus.

Prescott PA No PA
Comp
238 737
Att 349 1,178
Comp % 68.2% 62.6%
Yds 3,090 7,786
YPA 8.85 6.61
TD 19 48
INT 2 23
Rtg 111.6 87.2
% Passes 22.9% 77.1%

Again, the Cowboys don't need to be calling a play-action pass on every drop back, but 23 percent is far too low. They should be among the league leaders in play-action rate, up near teams like the Rams, who like the Cowboys base their entire offense around the versatile contributions of a star running back.”

More nuggets past this point like using more pre-snap motion (only used 36% of the time, tied for 24th in the league), but I’m not going to copy and past the whole article haha

I just hope that Opey Moore proves how bad Linnehan was as a play caller, not the other way around. Ask me after the first 6 games of the season how much things have changed in play calling and whether Moore is the boy wonder that he's claimed to be.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
What does that tell you???? Linehan didn't trust Prescott's accuracy....and I don't blame him. How many times have we seen Dak miss wide open people?

Now your asking Dak to hit timing patterns down the field???? Good luck with that. :laugh:

This is absurd. Dak has been an accurate quarterback, especially on the run, and consistently avoids throwing interceptions. This is the guy who broke the record for consecutive passes without an interception.

Nice try.

khiladi

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...their-chances-of-reaching-super-bowl-liv/amp/

The first subtitle is where the info is.

Yes this is some of the stuff we already know but it’s May and interesting to get some numbers and data behind it. Gives us an idea of how Linehan has held Dak back.

“Far too many of the Cowboys' passing-down snaps last year involved them spreading the field with three receivers and a tight end, all of whom ran identical comeback routes to the sticks. It was predictable and incredibly easy for defenses to cover. Linehan's lack of creativity most often manifested itself in Prescott having to throw into tight coverage far too often. Last year, 17.7 percent of his passes were thrown into tight coverage, per NFL.com's NextGen Stats, a figure that ranked 29th out of 38 qualified quarterbacks. Prescott also threw short of the sticks by an average of 1.5 yards per pass, which ranked 28th out of the same group of 38 players.

The Cowboys also had Prescott throw just 11 passes on RPO (run-pass option) plays last season, per Sports Info Solutions, a figure that is frankly embarrassing given Prescott's obvious strength with RPO schemes. He averaged 9.5 yards per pass on those throws, which allow him to combine his skill at play-fakes, quickly reading defenses, and using his legs and athleticism to make plays on the perimeter if necessary. The Cowboys don't need to do this on every snap, but a considerable increase is certainly called for.

Prescott should also just be throwing after a play-action fake more often in general. Given the strength of the Cowboys' run game and opposing defenses' obvious inclination to stop Ezekiel Elliott, it should not be surprising that Prescott has been a far more efficient passer on play-action plays (where he is one of the best in the league) than on straight drop backs (where he is merely average) throughout his three-year career. Consider the following figures, per Pro Football Focus.

Prescott PA No PA
Comp
238 737
Att 349 1,178
Comp % 68.2% 62.6%
Yds 3,090 7,786
YPA 8.85 6.61
TD 19 48
INT 2 23
Rtg 111.6 87.2
% Passes 22.9% 77.1%

Again, the Cowboys don't need to be calling a play-action pass on every drop back, but 23 percent is far too low. They should be among the league leaders in play-action rate, up near teams like the Rams, who like the Cowboys base their entire offense around the versatile contributions of a star running back.”

More nuggets past this point like using more pre-snap motion (only used 36% of the time, tied for 24th in the league), but I’m not going to copy and past the whole article haha

The fact this guy said one of Dak’s skills is ‘quickly reading defenses’ makes him lose all credibility.

You know there could be another reason for this dumbed-doen offense? Linehan was hamstrung by Dak. They basically spread everybody out to make it easy for Dak and even lined the WRs our farther wide.

Also, Dak hardly threw into tight coverages. He was incredibly late with the ball plenty of times. Another nonsensical claim, putting it all on Linehan.

Further, this is just nonsensical use of stats. Dallas nowhere near three as much as the Rams so comparing PERCENTAGES is just dumb. Also, Linehan used plenty of play action for Dak, in fact more than doubled in in Dak’s first year from Romo’s highest usage rate.

Further, people blaming Linehan clearly had no problems when Garrett was bottom of the league in play action usage when he was in control of the offense.

When Garrett was OC, everybody blamed Romo. Now they blame the OC, when the QB is mediocre.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
What does that tell you???? Linehan didn't trust Prescott's accuracy....and I don't blame him. How many times have we seen Dak miss wide open people?

Now your asking Dak to hit timing patterns down the field???? Good luck with that. :laugh:

It also shows how incompetent our FO and head coach are, going with a QB based on a one year fluke in reality, because all cylinders around Dak were clicking.. opportunists, living in the moment.

They put all their eggs into a basket in a ‘one progression’ QB, one of his biggest weakness being throwing consistently outside the hashes in intermediate to deep routes from the pocket, which is how the offense actually operates, along with the fact
he’s mediocre on timing routes, holding the hall way too long, only throwing when he sees guys wide open, not actually throwing to spots, which again is the core of the passing offense.

Now they are working to sell these failures as everybody’s fault but Dak’s...

Romo was never afforded these excuses, when he actually had a legitimate gripe. Garrett was his playcaller for the majority of his career, a guy with ZERO experience calling plays..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

That’s a sad tale. Consoling yourself? Not man enough to admit you were dead wrong about Garrett?

Shall I quote his boss Jerry jones for you?

So when the boss brings in a 29 year old first time qb coach to run the offense and tells Garrett to stay out of the way.........do u think that is a compliment to your hero Garrett? Lol

Do you think “the need for new ideas” means your hero is evolving with the times? Lol

And that lingering contract........such a show of confidence by the boss. Lol

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Fans have been saying these exact same things for more than a year well into Daks second season and its embarrassing jerry didnt dump Linehan far sooner.
was it linehans plays or garretts? linehan called the plays, but when your working with garbage it makes it hard to be good.
Garrett had to cause problems for linehan, because that is why jerry made it clear if he tried with moore, to come tell daddy.