Interesting stuff on Bobby Carpenter

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
J.Jones21;1753735 said:
Wouldnt' anybody here rather have Antonio Chromartie?

I hate to be that guy.....but ive been thinking bout that for a few weeks.
No, I'd rather have Addai of all the people drafted behind him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
theogt;1753737 said:
No, I'd rather have Addai of all the people drafted behind him.
Great, I hadn't even thought of that one. :(

Addai is a stud. But I guess more people are figuring that out now.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
CowboyChris;1753538 said:
dont put me in that category, i wasnt even clapping when we took Spencer last year. btw i think Carp will be a bust eventually, but i almost felt the same way about Brady James, but in year 3 he started playing much better, lets hope the same for Carp.

Me either, I wanted Manny Lawson. However, I will at least give him until year 3 to get it.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
dooomsday;1753726 said:
Inside of one 12 month period we drafted Ware and Burnett, we had Bradie, we signed Akin, we moved Ellis to OLB. There was no chance for BC to play regardless.

I don't buy that. The NFL is about winning had he performed better he would have played; especially he was drafted during the time that Burnett was battling through some injuries.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
theogt;1753577 said:
Actually Parcells admitted that our scouting reports showed that Lawson had more upside. But he wanted someone he thought would be ready immediately instead of more of a project player. And it was Jerry that overruled him on the Spears thing, because they thought Spears would last to our 2nd pick but Ware wouldn't. So, yeah, it would make sense that they would only overrule Parcells when it made sense from a "business" perspective (i.e., draft tactics) but not from a talent picking perspective.

But yeah, I was pissed off to no end when the pick was made.

Parcells also stated that drafting Lawson would entail having to move Ware to the strongside, b/c Lawson could not play the SAM spot. Thereby having TWO young players learning new positions.

Lo and behold, Lawson was more ready to play in the pros than Carp _ he started his rookie year, and this is was even with the transition from DE to OLB, on the STRONGSIDE no less.

Lawson and Ware would have brought a ton of speed to the LB corps, which is not very fast (outside of Ware)_even with the Phillips weight loss program.

Even Spencer, who would have very good speed for a DE, is below average for a OLB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BAT;1754146 said:
Parcells also stated that drafting Lawson would entail having to move Ware to the strongside, b/c Lawson could not play the SAM spot. Thereby having TWO young players learning new positions.

Lo and behold, Lawson was more ready to play in the pros than Carp _ he started his rookie year, and this is was even with the transition from DE to OLB, on the STRONGSIDE no less.

Lawson and Ware would have brought a ton of speed to the LB corps, which is not very fast (outside of Ware)_even with the Phillips weight loss program.

Even Spencer, who would have very good speed for a DE, is below average for a OLB.
I agree with the rest, but I don't agree that Spencer has below average speed for a 3-4 OLB. A 4.7 is very good for a guy with his size and strength.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Id like to just see him on the field.

We heard the same things last year but when he got on the field he made plays in the biggest game of the season.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1753440 said:
One last thing .... Parcells wanted pass rushers on both sides, just like Wade.

no, Parcells wanted OLBs who could play the run and cover more than they rushed

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1754314 said:
no, Parcells wanted OLBs who could play the run and cover more than they rushed

Yep, that's why he moved Ellis to be his starting strong side OLB, because of his phenomenal coverage abilities. And that's how Lawrence Taylor revolutionized the OLB position ... because of his coverage skills.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1754317 said:
Yep, that's why he moved Ellis to be his starting strong side OLB, because of his phenomenal coverage abilities. And that's how Lawrence Taylor revolutionized the OLB position ... because of his coverage skills.

"I only ask them to rush the passer 30% of the time"

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1753440 said:
I think the entire organization (Parcells, Wade, Ireland Stewart, Jerry, the scouting department) on down was just completely caught off guard at how soft Carpenter is. Carpenter is the epitome of the looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. A 6'4" 247 lbs. hairy, white LB from the Big X, son of a former tough as nails professional football player shouldn't be this soft. I'll never forget watching him play last year in a preseason game against the Vikings and watching him get driven 10 yards straight backwards on every play late in the 4th quarter by undrafted free agent training camp fodder. One play it was a no-name guard, then it was a no-name center, then it was a no-name fullback... guys who would be out of the league by Wednesday of that week just took turns on him. He cowered at the point of contact.

The Cowboys thought they were getting a Vrabel, because he had the exact same resume. Vrabel plays inside and outisde for the Patriots. Donnie Edwards played ILB last year for Wade at 225, and he's currently playing OLB in Herm Edwards Tampa 2 4-3. Tedi Bruschi was an undersized defense end in college. James Farrior is probably the best ILB in football, IMHO, was a weakside outside linebacker at Virigina. Those guys would be good anywhere, because they're good football players. Bobby Carpenter isn't, so he really can't play either position. I mean, Carpenter looks like a JAG on special teams.

One last thing .... Parcells wanted pass rushers on both sides, just like Wade. Why do you think Parcells converted Ellis to OLB to start opposite Ware, and was steadfast that it would work in training camp while everyone else was crapping their pants worrying how Ellis was going to cover a RB out of the backfield (including Ellis)? It's kind of funny that drafting Carp was all Parcells doing, now. Revisionist history states that when Parcells supposedly wanted to draft Spears instead of Ware, the scouting department overruled him and saved the day. But the scouting department just played along when Parcells really wanted Carpenter? Maybe they were taking a nap in the draft room and didn't know our pick was up, and sneaky Parcells tip toed over to the phone and made the pick. All I know is that Ireland never had anything to do with a bad pick, it was all Parcells, and the entire board knew this a bad fit even though 95% of you were standing on your chairs and clapping when the pick was made.
Wanted Manny Lawson, but wasn't overly disappointed when we went w/ Carpenter. He just seemed to have all the pedigree to have an outstanding NFL career. It's just so sad to see him rot on the bench save for ST.....

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
BAT;1754146 said:

i dissagree with that, i think our front seven is among the fastest in the league,

Bradie James has done alot to help this and Akin has always been a fast Linebacker i believe.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
J.Jones21;1754683 said:
i dissagree with that, i think our front seven is among the fastest in the league,

Bradie James has done alot to help this and Akin has always been a fast Linebacker i believe.
Akin is pretty slow actually, and Lawson is hands down the fastest 3-4 OLB in the league.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
joseephuss;1753599 said:
When he does see action especially in this pre-season, he did not look like the same player from those two games. Of course the guys in front of him on the depth chart are playing well and really limiting his opportunities. That is a good thing no matter how you look at it.

That is what was particularly alarming. He didn't even look like a first round choice playing against fodder.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
5mics;1754513 said:
Wanted Manny Lawson, but wasn't overly disappointed when we went w/ Carpenter. He just seemed to have all the pedigree to have an outstanding NFL career. It's just so sad to see him rot on the bench save for ST.....

The great Lawson/Carpenter debates aside, Lawson isn't exactly outstanding either. This might be a case of both players getting overinflated because they played a position of need for us.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander;1754703 said:
The great Lawson/Carpenter debates aside, Lawson isn't exactly outstanding either. This might be a case of both players getting overinflated because they played a position of need for us.
Hard to say whether he is or not, considering he went down very early this year. He did look pretty good in his limited role when actually playing 3-4 OLB. He had beefed up to close to 260 pounds, and it appeared as though he hadn't lost much in terms of speed. He looked like a Ware clone, actually, in terms of athleticism and size at that weight.

But had we known Ellis was going to pan out, yeah, we probably shouldn't have had such a narrow focus. Oh well, hindsight just happens to be 20/20.