Interesting Tony Romo nugget

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I miss Romo as if he were family. He was exciting to watch. He was a tough gunslinger who deserved a ring. Sadly, he didn't have a ring kind of caliber team around him. That's just my opinion. No debate needed.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Excuses excuses. Doesn't take away the fact that those were terrible throws that cost the game.

Its a hoot The guys had so many heartbreaking moments Mike and Mike have compiled a video. Why do we never see these type Videos on Tom Brady , Rodgers or Brees Just Romo

He must be a special player to be this great in some peoples minds but carry all this negative baggage . Don't get me wrong Tony made some great plays in his time that made us feel good for a time .

But when it came time to disappoint the Cowboys fan base nobody did it like Tony . You were just left with the whole off season to stew and be ticked off . Only thing worse than Tonys exploits were the Catch , Jackie Smiths drop and the end of the Ice Bowl IMO

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I like Tony. He was exciting, But his time here was also infuriating. At times I loved him and other times I hated his play. It's just the way I'll remember him. He was a good QB. My main problem is people that put him up with the all time greats. He kept us competitive but at the end of the day we won 2 playoff games with him as QB. Many things were responsible for that but Tony also didn't elevate his play in many of those games.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I like Tony. He was exciting, But his time here was also infuriating. At times I loved him and other times I hated his play. It's just the way I'll remember him. He was a good QB. My main problem is people that put him up with the all time greats. He kept us competitive but at the end of the day we won 2 playoff games with him as QB. Many things were responsible for that but Tony also didn't elevate his play in many of those games.

Excellent Post ,Exciting but infuriating that sums it up pretty well

Blake

Reaction score
Its a hoot The guys had so many heartbreaking moments Mike and Mike have compiled a video. Why do we never see these type Videos on Tom Brady , Rodgers or Brees Just Romo

He must be a special player to be this great in some peoples minds but carry all this negative baggage . Don't get me wrong Tony made some great plays in his time that made us feel good for a time .

But when it came time to disappoint the Cowboys fan base nobody did it like Tony . You were just left with the whole off season to stew and be ticked off . Only thing worse than Tonys exploits were the Catch , Jackie Smiths drop and the end of the Ice Bowl IMO

Yea, Tony certainly had his moments. I do ponder, if the Cowboy's weren't being terribly mismanaged, would the wannabe from Wisconsin ever have gotten his shot to begin with? Surely, there would have been better competitors on the QB roster for Tony to have to wade through. Guy was a temporary stopgap and nothing more.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
And 10 years from now is anyone really going to remember all his exciting comebacks? QBs make their reputation in the playoffs and he doesn't have any there. Roger and Troy will always be remember for their playoff runs. I loved Danny White but he is hardly remembered today. The only thing that might keep Tony's memory alive for future Cowboy fans is he's on TV. That's how I remember Dandy Don because I was too young to see him play.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Yea, Tony certainly had his moments. I do ponder, if the Cowboy's weren't being terribly mismanaged, would the wannabe from Wisconsin ever have gotten his shot to begin with? Surely, there would have been better competitors on the QB roster for Tony to have to wade through. Guy was a temporary stopgap and nothing more.
Yep another one of Jerrys pet projects . Try to get 1st round play from an undrafted guy sure to make Jerry look like a genius except he came up small too many times

Blackrain

Reaction score
And 10 years from now is anyone really going to remember all his exciting comebacks? QBs make their reputation in the playoffs and he doesn't have any there. Roger and Troy will always be remember for their playoff runs. I loved Danny White but he is hardly remembered today. The only thing that might keep Tony's memory alive for future Cowboy fans is he's on TV. That's how I remember Dandy Don because I was too young to see him play.

Yea I saw more of Don with Howard Cosell than the Cowboys . Funny thing I really like Tony as a commentator and watch all the games he works . I think he will have a long career in broadcasting .
Its really a shame but his mistakes were far more memorable than his successes and its how he will be remembered as unjust as that may be

jay94

Reaction score
Yea I saw more of Don with Howard Cosell than the Cowboys . Funny thing I really like Tony as a commentator and watch all the games he works . I think he will have a long career in broadcasting .
Its really a shame but his mistakes were far more memorable than his successes and its how he will be remembered as unjust as that may be

What wasn't said here, all the greatness he showed to make his mistakes memorable, for most the fans I wish he never played for this franchise just so we could be our own Cleveland, worst fans of America.....

Blackrain

Reaction score
What wasn't said here, all the greatness he showed to make his mistakes memorable, for most the fans I wish he never played for this franchise just so we could be our own Cleveland, worst fans of America.....

All the greatness he showed to make his mistakes memorable , Yep like I have always said Tony was like the cow that gave a full bucket of milk then kicked it over . LOL

Honestly it would have been good to finish like Cleveland one year and draft an elite QB . Finishing 8-8 all those years no matter who was responsible was the worst thing that could have happened . Not good enough to make the tournament and not bad enough to draft well . NFL Purgatory at its finest .

Maybe when you have a gambler as an owner who squanders your draft picks to fuel his addiction and a gambler at QB that makes bad decisions at the very worst of times leaving you frustrated for over 20 yrs it makes the fan base a little less tolerant at this point than it should be .

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
All the greatness he showed to make his mistakes memorable , Yep like I have always said Tony was like the cow that gave a full bucket of milk then kicked it over . LOL

Honestly it would have been good to finish like Cleveland one year and draft an elite QB . Finishing 8-8 all those years no matter who was responsible was the worst thing that could have happened . Not good enough to make the tournament and not bad enough to draft well . NFL Purgatory at its finest .

Maybe when you have a gambler as an owner who squanders your draft picks to fuel his addiction and a gambler at QB that makes bad decisions at the very worst of times leaving you frustrated for over 20 yrs it makes the fan base a little less tolerant at this point than it should be .
Losing to each of your biggest rivals three years straight in a win and go home game is about as bad as it gets. Still can't get over that.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Losing to each of your biggest rivals three years straight in a win and go home game is about as bad as it gets. Still can't get over that.
Yes It was a tough pill to swallow . I mean ok if it happened once but three yr in a row hard to feel there was much Greatness on display there but heck Im old and probably a lousy fan at this point cause I have seen enough mediocrity from this team in the Romo era to due me a lifetime .

Im excited for a new different style of play that revolves more on beating your opponent into submission and is less dependent on one guy throwing jump balls and hoping we come down with it . But hey that's just my twisted view at this point. I have see enough gambling from this franchise in all facets of the game .
Lets run the Rock not turn the ball over keep our mistakes to a minimum , stay healthy and win by attrition for a change .

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

And there's the catch 22 of your statement (bolded part) We had an elite QB and he was the reason we were going 8-8 those seasons instead of going 3-13, 4-12 etc because those were the kind of teams we were putting on the field in those 3 years

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Looking at Dak McNabb throw the ball makes me miss #9 even more
McNabb got to the SB, how long since Dallas has? Prescott, Romo, Carter, Bledsoe, Hutchinson, Moore, etc. etc. etc.

Some would kill just to get to the SB, though for me to get there and lose is worse than not getting close...

Blackrain

Reaction score
And there's the catch 22 of your statement (bolded part) We had an elite QB and he was the reason we were going 8-8 those seasons instead of going 3-13, 4-12 etc because those were the kind of teams we were putting on the field in those 3 years

We have a different opinion of Tony . I believe he was a good QB but not Elite . Tony was not Brady, Brees , Rodgers or Manning . Those were Elite QBs . Tony IMO was in the next tier of QBs that needed more of a team around them to be successful. Also his decision making was not on par with the Elite

I feel his gunslinger nature is why we didn't make the playoffs some of those yrs and if we had tanked and gone 3-13 we could have drafted a really good Qb that would have had time to learn and have been a finished product by the time Tonys back gave out because it seems many are not willing to have much patients with a guy whos not a turn key player when he takes over the position .

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
We have a different opinion of Tony . I believe he was a good QB but not Elite . Tony was not Brady, Brees , Rodgers or Manning . Those were Elite QBs . Tony IMO was in the next tier of QBs that needed more of a team around them to be successful. Also his decision making was not on par with the Elite

I feel his gunslinger nature is why we didn't make the playoffs some of those yrs and if we had tanked and gone 3-13 we could have drafted a really good Qb that would have had time to learn and have been a finished product by the time Tonys back gave out because it seems many are not willing to have much patients with a guy whos not a turn key player when he takes over the position .

That's a fair statement my only point was we were only 8-8 those seasons because of Tony without him we were easily 3-13 or 4-12 teams, especially in 2011 and 2012, by 2013 i think the team started to turn a corner

Kevinicus

Reaction score
On a side note:

Look at these two QBs:

QB A - 2666/4070 (65.5%), 32,344 YDS, 7.9 YPA, 208 (5.1%) TDs, 128 (3.1%) Ints, 93.7 Passer Rating
QB B - 2829/4335 (65.3%), 34,183 YDS, 7.9 YPA, 248 (5.7%) TDs, 117 (2.7%) Ints, 97.1 Passer Rating

One of these QBs is a Hall of Famer, the other likely has no shot the way things currently stand.

For those who don't understand the team concept and care about such things, the record for QB A was 67-49 (.577) and for QB B 78-49 (.614)

DFWJC

Reaction score

Dallas records with Romo starting the majority of the games
9-7
13-3
9-7
11-5
8-8
8-8
8-8 (8-7 with Romo)
12-4 (12-3)

0 losing seasons
5 winning seasons (4 playoff years)
3 .500 seasons