Interesting trade rumor via the Ranch

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Hope this isnt a repost, the guy at the ranch who posted it has about 200+ posts and is an "insider" so I don't think its just malicious garbage. Since were all waiting for the real deal to go on this one is a real good time killer just to dwell on until draft day.

DALLAS CLOSE TO TRADING OUT OF 18...DETAILS HERE!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all, I wouldn't post anything like this if it didn't have legs. A real good friend of mine,fellow cowboy supporter, and current NFL scout called me this morning with the following details:

Over the last 4 days, cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Coach Bill Parcells have been working hard on a potential trade involving the number 18 overall pick in this year's draft. My friend tells me that since last Friday morning, he can CONFIRM that the Cowboys have come into contact with the Buccaneers, Chiefs,Jets and the Jaguars about the possibility of swapping draft picks.

He then went on to tell me that a successful trade scenario is contingent on the likes of Santonio Holmes, Ernie Simms, and/or Manny Lawson being on the board at 18. He also went on to say that a friend of his that currently works as assistant public relations director for the Jacksonville Jaguars told him that if Florida State OLB Ernie Simms is still on the board at #18, then there is ALREADY a deal in place that would involve Dallas and Jacksonville exchanging Draft Picks.

Now I haven't been a fan of Trading out of 18, but I am slowly growing on to this idea. And I trust my friend's informations and take it as truth with little to no skepticism. Of course I don't expect you all to do the same, but as I said I wouldn't waste my time typing hot air. Over the last 2 months nearly a million posts have been dedicated to a trade scenario moving dallas out of the #18 spot........

You guys may finally get what you want.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I was almost scared to click on this being from the Ranch and all..........

TheHustler

Reaction score
If it involves the Jets and a player being at 18, it would have to be a trade down.....They have Denver's 29th right?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
This might fit into the scenario of the boys going after Thomas Howard from the article I posted today. Who knows, you don't work for ProFootballTalk do you?:)

I find it interesting, but they have a rumor of the day on the El Paso times Web Site that states the Jaguars will select Thomas Howard with the 28th pick in the draft. That could potentially be our pick if we did trade picks with the Jags.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think the Jacksonville and 18 pick has a lot of validity to it, because there was an article the other day about Del Rio's desperation for an impact OLB after missing out on the Lavar Sweepstakes, and Simms would be a great fit in his 4-3 persuit defense. The problem is that Simms will probably be long gone. The Cardinals are supposedly in love with him.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
what is the difference in point values and what would jack have to give up

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
what is the difference in point values and what would jack have to give up

It most likely would be No. 18 for Nos. 28 and 60. Green Bay and Miami made almost an identical trade in 1998 (No. 19 for Nos. 29 and 60).

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
OK, I have a feeling Wimbley is going to be gone by 18... Lawson will probably be there at 18, but if Lawson's gone and we trade with JAX, we may be in trouble (assuming we want to take an OLB). If we trade down that far, behind NE we may lose out on Carpenter too.

Of course, BP and JJ may be targeting some completely different position at 28.

RedLine

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
It most likely would be No. 18 for Nos. 28 and 60. Green Bay and Miami made almost an identical trade in 1998 (No. 19 for Nos. 29 and 60).

I would love to see that trade. We should be able to pick up two starters (depending on position) at 28 and 60.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

thanks a ton Adam

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
RedLine said:
I would love to see that trade. We should be able to pick up two starters (depending on position) at 28 and 60.

agreed that would give us 3 picks in the top 60..not bad

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If that were to happen, the question would become who are potential targets are at the lower end of the round.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I wonder what the odds are Carpenter is still on the board at 28. I think NE picks him up first.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
If this proposed trade does take place, and I'm not against it if we gain a 4th rounder, I'm inclined to agree that Lawson, Wimbley, and Carpenter will, in all likelihood, be gone by the time we would pick in what had been Jax spot. Should those three LBs be gone by then, it will be interesting to see which position Parcells will focus on when we pick in Jax's old spot.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
I wonder what the odds are Carpenter is still on the board at 28. I think NE picks him up first.

If we want Carpenter, we had better stick at 18 and take him.

This talk that he will be available late in the round is pure rubbish.

There are five legitimate first round linebackers and more teams that want them:

Wimberly
Lawson
Carpenter
Greenway
Sims

I am pretty convinced now there will be a run on the linebackers once Cleveland takes Wimberly or Lawson. I don't believe they will have change at Ngata or Bunkley. That leaves one LB for them. Then you have San Diego and San Francisco, New England right behind us that would probably take another if we don't plus Jacksonville later in the round. I also wouldn't rule out Philadelphia, Minnesota or Miami taking one ahead of us.

The only reasonable scenario with us trading down is that we have designs on another linebacker very late (Howard) or don't have designs on any at all and are looking for a defensive back.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
i think carpenter is gone by 28. this trade scenario seems to lean towards projected draft ratings of an OL in the late first. maybe waiting to draft a LB at 60. chris gocong? a liitle short, but he looked real good on film, and at the combine. not sure i like the move though. i think we need a starter at solb from the draft.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Kobe2jail, I agree with you, I don't think there is any way the Patriots will let Carpenter go past them if he is still on the board when they pick at 21.