Video: Interview with George Iloka

fivetwos

Reaction score
I somewhat feel bad for Kris Richard. He gets blamed but he had to try to adapt a back-7 scheme to fit with an outdated DL scheme because Marinelli wouldn't change.

The Rams exposed the scheme in the 2018 season playoff game and Richard was scrambling to offset the DL weakness vs zone running teams without changing the #1 problem was was the DL scheme/assignments.
It all goes back to who in the heck put that staff together?

Why weren't they all on the same page?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wade never should have been a Head Coach anywhere. He has a been an excellent NFL DC but he just didn't have the personality to be a Head Coach.

It didn't matter what Jerry did with regards to Wade. He (Wade) had failed in other attempts to be an Head Coach.

He was terrible at player discipline and he could not handle the media.
Jerry wanted someone he could walk all over.

He always did. He just thought Garrett was someone who he could walk on yet was so "smart" that he could win also.

He seriously always wanted to be the coach, and would never accept the idea that he could never do it.

Now theres people on here that berate me and insist he has turned the corner and learned his lesson.

I personally prefer to see it first.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Lack of experience? He was the head coach for 10 years! He didn’t have the right stuff to be the coach and he squandered a lot of talent while enriching his pockets. Sounds like a thief!
That's Jerry's fault for giving it to him.

He thought he had his own hand picked Tom Landry who would allow him to address the team at halftime with his dumb credit card stories etc....

Kind of like many of us who watch youtube videos of an UDFA and think he is going to save the franchise.

Garrett was awful, and he sold Jerry a bridge that he was more than happy to buy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
-

Nolan's past defenses used a lot of 2-deep Safety as the base. Each Safety can move up to the line "in the box" based on specific offensive alignments on his side but the base was 2-deep.

Nolan offset playing 7 in the box by using alignments/personnel that were stronger vs the run.
- A 4 man DL plus a small DE playing LB and lined up on the line just outside the DL was basically a 5 man DL.
- A 3-4 with both OLBs being the size of a RDE in the Marinelli's scheme was also a bigger front than just a 4 man DL.
- Occasionally he would play a 3-4 with smaller personnel in place of a Nickel defense vs 3 WRs. Again, bigger front than Nickel where the Nickel CB is one of the front 7.

As Iloka stated, in 2-deep both Safeties can be similar with neither being a true SS.

I've reviewed some Vikings games, primarily reviewing the free agent DE Griffen.
- I noticed that the scheme was a big part of getting pressure.
- They would sometimes have Griffen aligned tight with a LB just outside of him.
- Other times Griffen would align wide with a LB up near the line just inside of him.
- It wasn't anything extreme but just enough that OLinemen didn't know until after the snap exactly who was rushing or who was going inside/outside.

I like the concepts in theory as compared to the Marinelli basic concept:
- Marinelli: Small front 7 plus SS in the box to stop the run.
- Nolan/Edwards: Big front 7 to stop the run. Keep both Safeties back for better pass defense on intermediate/long routes.

RBs on pass routes might be a weakness in theory with both Safeties back.
Press man on the outside WRs should actually be better for limiting quick throws to those WRs.
- I think one reason Nolan played a 3-4 look at times that was often really a 4-3 with 1 DE standing-up, was that the stand-up DE (OLB) was in a good position to move out to cut off RBs in the flat.

I do like the concept of each Safety making decisions based on his side of the field as compared to a single FS often having to decide if he was going to help right or left and often ending up either wrong or delayed.

I think the linebackers we have should be a big help against the RBs. Ideally, if you are going to have both safeties playing back, you need to have some linebackers underneath who can cover some ground. Both LVE and Smith can do that and Lee is savvy about coverage mainly only having trouble when he has to turn and run with whoever he's covering. Not saying our linebackers have been great in coverage,but they have the skillset to fill the underneath gaps and undercut routes.

RS12

Reaction score
What an absolute cluster. Has it ever been determined who came up with this arrangement? Were they trying to recreate the Wade/Jason dysfunction days?

Why can't the local reporters actually do some legwork instead of just being PC note-takers and puff piece writers?
Because the unwashed will pay for premium content. And the "premium content" only comes to lap dogs.

RS12

Reaction score
Jerry was apparently "comfortable" with other teams knowing what's coming.

817Gill

Reaction score
So assuming Chido moves to S, does Woods move to a backup or utility role?
I think Chido would be more of a nickel S/CB as opposed to the starting S. Woods has good range and now that he’s only going to be playing half the field as opposed to single high, he should be even better.

X is a pure FS, would say a lot if Chido was good enough at it to take his spot.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
They should have canned this circus years ago. The Clapper never ever learnt how to tell time with this team. What does that say about a head coach?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Wade never should have been a Head Coach anywhere. He has a been an excellent NFL DC but he just didn't have the personality to be a Head Coach.

It didn't matter what Jerry did with regards to Wade. He (Wade) had failed in other attempts to be an Head Coach.

He was terrible at player discipline and he could not handle the media.

I think Wade would have probably failed again here, but the deck was stacked against him. Being allowed to pick his own OC could have developed and used Romo better too.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone is still upset Garrett is gone. The difference will show on the field when we adjust to every team and don’t just line up to beat the guy in front of you. Scheming people open

Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

It’s just like in the “season record projection” thread. We hear a lot about how the difference will show on the field. When it comes down to it, folks expect 8-8 to 10-6...just like we’ve been doing in recent years.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry wanted someone he could walk all over.

He always did. He just thought Garrett was someone who he could walk on yet was so "smart" that he could win also.

He seriously always wanted to be the coach, and would never accept the idea that he could never do it.

Now theres people on here that berate me and insist he has turned the corner and learned his lesson.

I personally prefer to see it first.

Two issues:
1. Jerry hired Wade because Wade was easy to control.
2. Wade did NOT fail because of Jerry inserting himself into coaching issues.
-- Wade failed because Jerry hired him to do a job that Wade had already proven that he could not handle (being a Head Coach).

Stephen Jones is obviously running the football operations now.
- The only requirement is to give Jerry first dibs at any camera or radio mic time and to update Jerry enough that he can pretend to know what it going on.

It is yet to be proven if Stephen Jones can get the job done, but it is very obvious that he is running the football operations.
- Dumping Garrett was the final proof that SJ is in control. Jerry would have re-signed Garrett.
- SJ was already doing all big contract negotiations (DLaw's agent only met Jerry once and that was at a photo shoot).
- SJ was already handling free agency his way (minimal spending).
- SJ was already running the draft (Martin over Manziel. No trade-up for QB Paxton Lynch, etc..).

Recap of things Jerry would NOT do if making decisions all on his own:
- Firing Garrett.
- Drafting an OL over Johnny Football.
- Not trading up for a QB that Jerry openly lamented not trading up for after that draft (Paxton Lynch).
- Not spending big in free agency in years when they have significant cap space.
- Cutting Dez before Dez had spent several years being mediocre to bad.
- Not offering Witten a mega-contract when Witten "retired" to go to ESPN.
- Letting Dak continue to start over Romo playing on a big contract.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
As a former DB myself years ago , the one thing I've always noticed is that Chido simply cannot play in the trail position............It doesn't matter what type of throw the QB makes , he's completely ineffective with his back to the ball...........If he played safety , that would eliminate a lot of that.......

HungryLion

Reaction score
So, wait. Richard wasn’t an amazing coach just because he yelled at everybody and fought with Eagles players in warmups? Because I was told that’s what we needed over and over and over again. It’s almost like the mob worked itself up and ran off in a direction regarding a coach with absolutely no idea whatsoever what it was talking about.

And now we’re in the part where we pretend that didn’t really happen and let’s just move on because it’s in the past. I feel like maybe we’ve seen this script before.

On a completely unrelated note: have you guys noticed how amazing Mike McCarthy is? It’s like night and day around here since he’s been hired. We signed those two veteran DTs whose names I recognize and then also got lucky in the draft. That’s what I’m talking about!

Who was the head coach that oversaw Richard and was his boss by the way? I’m drawing a blank.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
34:00

George Edwards and his blitzes packages in Minnesota. In terms of blitzing specifically, Minn always drew up blitzes so one man was rushing free, the Cowboys draw up blitzes that still emphasis the D-line winning. Said Edwards was a defensive genius and was Zimmer’s right hand man. (Played in Minnesota)

He is my pet Cat. I bet heavily he is DC in 18 months.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
As a former DB myself years ago , the one thing I've always noticed is that Chido simply cannot play in the trail position............It doesn't matter what type of throw the QB makes , he's completely ineffective with his back to the ball...........If he played safety , that would eliminate a lot of that.......

Chido is a glider. He shows very little effort out there. I can’t remember a high pick that has diverged more from his scouting report. Guy was supposed to be a dawg. In Dallas he has become a very lazy entitled player.