iPhone 4

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You lucky *******s that have your iPhones already may want to check this out:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2095662

iPhone 4 cases for $3.50 to $4.50, seems like we'll all be needing a barrier to keep from touching the sides with our bare hands.

At worst it's a stop gap while you wait for all the other case makers to release the better quality covers.

I'd rather this than 30 bucks for that stupid Apple bumper. They really should have included in the iPhone box since the issue with touching the sides was obviously already known about. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a law suit. It's a bit immoral to release a product with a known issue like this and then charge 30 bucks for a solution, isn't it?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I've been testing mine quite a bit. I can replicate the signal meter reducing to a no signal reading almost every time that I place my hand over the two pieces of metal on the left side. However, it doesn't actually affect my call quality or my bandwidth. In some cases my bandwidth actually increased when I did this and my signal meter was down to no bars.

It's really odd. I think they'll just update the software so that the signal meter isn't so sensitive to this type of interference and no one will ever notice.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Going to wait on OtterBox to release another Commuter TL case for the iPhone 4. But those are a good stop-gap. Not sure about the site though.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
theogt;3442964 said:
I've been testing mine quite a bit. I can replicate the signal meter reducing to a no signal reading almost every time that I place my hand over the two pieces of metal on the left side. However, it doesn't actually affect my call quality or my bandwidth. In some cases my bandwidth actually increased when I did this and my signal meter was down to no bars.

It's really odd. I think they'll just update the software so that the signal meter isn't so sensitive to this type of interference and no one will ever notice.

Yeah I dropped a call in my apartment today that my 3GS would have never dropped, but my guess is the massive amounts of bandwidth being pushed, especially with today being the official release day.

kapolani

Reaction score
I can't replicate the signal degradation bug, but I did discover my own.

Sometime when I select my photos it's bugged out and will stay on one photo - I can't swipe to view others. I think it has something to do with fast-switching. If I 'kill' the process from the double click bar it will then behave normally.

Put some HD videos on the phone. The screen is beautiful.

Good stuff.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
kapolani;3443177 said:
I can't replicate the signal degradation bug, but I did discover my own.

Sometime when I select my photos it's bugged out and will stay on one photo - I can't swipe to view others. I think it has something to do with fast-switching. If I 'kill' the process from the double click bar it will then behave normally.

Put some HD videos on the phone. The screen is beautiful.

Good stuff.

Yeah, all the whining about the signal bug, and I couldn't replicate it either.

That article originated on Gizmodo.com, though, which is the biggest Apple-hating site on the web. They banned me for criticizing one of their articles.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
casmith07;3443862 said:
Yeah, all the whining about the signal bug, and I couldn't replicate it either.

That article originated on Gizmodo.com, though, which is the biggest Apple-hating site on the web. They banned me for criticizing one of their articles.

lol, well Gizmodo used to be the exact opposite, the biggest Apple Loving site in the world.

Then they did whatever deal they did to get that iPhone early, and now Apple puts them in the dark so they hate Apple.

Don't worry, soon they'll start kissing *** again to get back in Apple's good graces.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
casmith07;3444244 said:
Haha. I'll take it. They're perfectionists...they're not going to force people to buy a case to fix reception.

From what I understand the bars dropping wasn't actually effecting reception. Chances are the "fix" is just cosmetic to stop people from freaking out rather than changing any supposed reception issues.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3444252 said:
From what I understand the bars dropping wasn't actually effecting reception. Chances are the "fix" is just cosmetic to stop people from freaking out rather than changing any supposed reception issues.
It does affect reception in certain cases -- particularly when the phone already has very poor reception. Luckily from everything I've read, while it is a hardware issue (obviously), there is a true software fix -- not just a cosmetic fix.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'll be happy when Otterbox releases their line of cases. New Commuter case looks great.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I've never understood putting a case on a phone. It basically makes the design of the phone irrelevant and often they make them too bulky and thick and more difficult to carry in your pocket.

kapolani

Reaction score
theogt;3444284 said:
It does affect reception in certain cases -- particularly when the phone already has very poor reception. Luckily from everything I've read, while it is a hardware issue (obviously), there is a true software fix -- not just a cosmetic fix.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a hardware issue.

I can see something like the code not enabling the receiver to change frequencies. When at low signal switch to a different frequency to get a stronger signal.

Other phones exhibit this same type of behavior (holding the phone).

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
kapolani;3444324 said:

I can see something like the code not enabling the receiver to change frequencies. When at low signal switch to a different frequency to get a stronger signal.

Apparently it's a baseband issue along with a hardware issue, but it's not restricted only to the iPhone. If you take any old phone and cover up the antenna, you'll see a drop in signal.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;3444309 said:
I've never understood putting a case on a phone. It basically makes the design of the phone irrelevant and often they make them too bulky and thick and more difficult to carry in your pocket.
Every phone I've had, I've dropped. The case prevents the phone from breaking apart on impact.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
kapolani;3444324 said:

It's certainly a hardware issue, but there may be a software workaround.

kapolani

Reaction score
theogt;3444333 said:
It's certainly a hardware issue, but there may be a software workaround.

I'm not saying hardware isn't involved. I'm stating that you could have perfect hardware with defective software and have the same problems.

So, it's not necessarily a hardware problem.

I model weapon systems in real time. I work on simulations that allow our pilots to train jamming and counter jamming techniques.