iPhone 4

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3445159 said:
You're right, I'm not a mobile phone expert. Though considering how small mobile phones are these days, there isn't many places it could go. Placing it where you hold the phone would be an absolute no, no as it would be impeded on all sides. (three sides from your hand, and the fourth by your head when you are talking on it)

The only thing I heard about not putting them on top anymore is when they actually used to visibly stick out on top of the phone.
From what I've read, it has to do with FCC regulations, which cause companies to put antennas in the bottom of the phone nowadays.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3445162 said:
Yeah same here, I take extremely good care of all my gear. I don't see any reason to not slap a case on your phone, there is such a wide selection there is bound to be one that not only looks good but protects well without making your device overly bulky.
You can take extremely good care of your phone without having big rubber case on it. I had my iPhone 3G for two years without a case and it looked damn near pristine. Same with my wife's iPhone 3G. Hers has a minor crack across the top, though, because she accidentally threw it about 20 yards in Cowboys stadium when she was cheering and it landed on concrete.

Cases on the iPhone are unnecessary, unless you're using it as a nerf football.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3445166 said:
From what I've read, it has to do with FCC regulations, which cause companies to put antennas in the bottom of the phone nowadays.

This is an interesting article on this subject:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20008909-501465.html

Doesn't look like the FCC regulates where an antenna can be, they regulate how much radiation a body can absorb from a phone.

Companies used to get around this with pull-up or stub antennas but now they moved them to the bottom of phones to keep them further away from the body.

Apple moved their antennas to the sides of the phone, hence the problem with reception being more prevelant with the iPhone 4 when you wrap your hands around it as opposed to other phones where the antenna is harder to cover since its on the bottom.

I just tried this myself by wrapping my hands around the bottom of my iPhone 3G and the bars began to drop in exactly the same fashion as we've seen with the iPhone 4 when you touch the sides.

theogt;3445170 said:
You can take extremely good care of your phone without having big rubber case on it. I had my iPhone 3G for two years without a case and it looked damn near pristine. Same with my wife's iPhone 3G. Hers has a minor crack across the top, though, because she accidentally threw it about 20 yards in Cowboys stadium when she was cheering and it landed on concrete.

Cases on the iPhone are unnecessary, unless you're using it as a nerf football.

I didn't say anything about a big rubber case, there are plenty of svelt cases out there in all sorts of materials. I get that you don't want to use a case, that doesn't make them unneccessary. They've saved plenty a phone, and not just iPhones.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3445178 said:
This is an interesting article on this subject:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20008909-501465.html

Doesn't look like the FCC regulates where an antenna can be, they regulate how much radiation a body can absorb from a phone.

Companies used to get around this with pull-up or stub antennas but now they moved them to the bottom of phones to keep them further away from the body.

Apple moved their antennas to the sides of the phone, hence the problem with reception being more prevelant with the iPhone 4 when you wrap your hands around it as opposed to other phones where the antenna is harder to cover since its on the bottom.
Yup, that's why I worded it as FCC regulations "caused" companies to move antennas to the bottom of cell phones, rather than they "require" antennas to move to the bottom.

Another article from a guy that works on cell phone antennas:

Just about every cell phone in current production has the antenna located at the bottom. This insures that the radiating portion of the antenna is furthest from the head. Apple was not the first to locate the antenna on the bottom, and certainly won't be the last. The problem is that humans have their hands below their ears, so the most natural position for the hand is covering the antenna. This can't be a good design decision, can it? How can we be stuck with this conundrum? It's the FCC's fault.

The Count said:
I just tried this myself by wrapping my hands around the bottom of my iPhone 3G and the bars began to drop in exactly the same fashion as we've seen with the iPhone 4 when you touch the sides.
Interesting. I've read people able to do this on the 3G, but you never know on the internet (particularly with fanboys, who could be full of it). I couldn't get it to work with my wife's 3G running iOS 3.x. I've since upgraded hers to iOS 4.0 but haven't tried to see if it causes the bars to decrease. Many reports say that the upgrade to 4.0 will cause a 3G to exhibit the symptom when it didn't before the upgrade. I'll try it with her 3G running iOS 4 this evening.

I didn't say anything about a big rubber case, there are plenty of svelt cases out there in all sorts of materials. I get that you don't want to use a case, that doesn't make them unneccessary. They've saved plenty a phone, and not just iPhones.
The only thing I'd consider is the ultra-thin clear protectors. But the only risk that even remotely worries me is the shattering glass and I'm not sure those thin protectors would prevent that.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm running iOS 4 on my 3G for what that's worth, never tried it before the upgrade.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
TheCount;3445185 said:
I'm running iOS 4 on my 3G for what that's worth, never tried it before the upgrade.

I think iOS 4 is running way slow on my 3G.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
http://gawker.com/5574781/an-iphone-class-action-suit-is-in-the-works

Saw this one coming from miles away, I'm sure Apple did as well and already had their lawyers preparing.

I think this will probably end with all phones coming with a bumper and those that got bumpers eligable for a rebate.

And to be honest, I think that should be the case anyway and Apple should take those steps on their own. I still find it a bit crazy they are selling those things for 30 bucks a pop.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any legal action taken so quickly (just days) after launch is simply to gain publicity for the plaintiff .. in this case a firm well known for class action lawsuits.

Next I'm sure they'll sue Google for inaccurate search results .. any large company with deep pockets that will generate a lot of free publicity will do ..

-Reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3445632 said:
http://gawker.com/5574781/an-iphone-class-action-suit-is-in-the-works

Saw this one coming from miles away, I'm sure Apple did as well and already had their lawyers preparing.

I think this will probably end with all phones coming with a bumper and those that got bumpers eligable for a rebate.

And to be honest, I think that should be the case anyway and Apple should take those steps on their own. I still find it a bit crazy they are selling those things for 30 bucks a pop.
Or they'll just update the software and fix the "issue." And, yes, this litigation is just a publicity stunt.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Reality;3445646 said:
Any legal action taken so quickly (just days) after launch is simply to gain publicity for the plaintiff .. in this case a firm well known for class action lawsuits.

Next I'm sure they'll sue Google for inaccurate search results .. any large company with deep pockets that will generate a lot of free publicity will do ..

-Reality

It's a class action suit, so it is filed by some law firm on behalf of the customers, happens all the time.

I doubt it's a publicity stunt, more of a money grab.

I remember getting a random check in the mail for like 30 bucks when some firm sued Epson because their printers were reporting no ink using cartridges that still had ink in them. I didn't have to do a thing, it was kind of strange.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;3445758 said:
It's a class action suit, so it is filed by some law firm on behalf of the customers, happens all the time.

I doubt it's a publicity stunt, more of a money grab.

I remember getting a random check in the mail for like 30 bucks when some firm sued Epson because their printers were reporting no ink using cartridges that still had ink in them. I didn't have to do a thing, it was kind of strange.

I am quite familiar with class action suits and most class action suits are filed prior to having a mass collection of plaintiffs (affected people) on board. Companies like this sit around waiting for any heavily media exposed complaints by a large number of people and they file a lawsuit knowing there will be some idiots out there willing to sign on and further validate their noble justification for filing the suit.

However, this case though has nothing to do with money because a class action suit filed days after launch has no chance of having any type of monetary restitution ordered by a judgement. Class action suits over faulty equipment only yield restitution or settlements when the products cause injury or when the company does not attempt to resolve the issues in a timely manner. Apple will have resolved the iPhone 4 problems either through software updates, replacement units or free recall/repairs long before any class action suit gets anywhere close to a judgement or settlement.

Most class action suits are about settlement offers .. this one is all about publicity, plain and simple.

-Reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not too shabby. I still prefer the metal exterior, though.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The bumpers actually don't look terrible. I'm considering trying a black one.

I just don't like the idea of my phone hitting the ground and cracking, because I'll inevitably drop it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
casmith07;3445855 said:

I just don't like the idea of my phone hitting the ground and cracking, because I'll inevitably drop it.

Me too *laughs*

I really liked the old iPhone design and hate that they changed it. Before it was a cool looking phone and now it looks more like every other touch-screen phone.

-Reality

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Reality;3445865 said:
Me too *laughs*

I really liked the old iPhone design and hate that they changed it. Before it was a cool looking phone and now it looks more like every other touch-screen phone.

-Reality
Such as?

There's not really anything close to this design.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3445816 said:
Yeah, that's not too shabby. I still prefer the metal exterior, though.

Yeah, I'm going white bumper as well, but they are sold out till mid July online. Gotta hit up the 5th Av store. I just got my email, my phone should be shipping in the next 24 hours! So stoked.

I get you though, I'm loving the industrial design of the phone and with the bumper off, all that detailing disappears, unfortunately.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
casmith07;3445855 said:

I've got the black and can post pics if you like.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3445875 said:
Yeah, I'm going white bumper as well, but they are sold out till mid July online. Gotta hit up the 5th Av store. I just got my email, my phone should be shipping in the next 24 hours! So stoked.

I get you though, I'm loving the industrial design of the phone and with the bumper off, all that detailing disappears, unfortunately.
The metal has a really nice feel in your hand, too. It feels more sturdy. The old iPhones feel so cheap and bulky now.