iPhone 4

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3444284 said:
It does affect reception in certain cases -- particularly when the phone already has very poor reception. Luckily from everything I've read, while it is a hardware issue (obviously), there is a true software fix -- not just a cosmetic fix.

That'd be great if it's a real fix, I haven't gotten mine yet so to have it be a non issue when I get it in hand would be fantastic.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3444538 said:
That'd be great if it's a real fix, I haven't gotten mine yet so to have it be a non issue when I get it in hand would be fantastic.
Some hope....

Steve Jobs On iPhone 4: "There Is No Reception Issue. Stay Tuned."

We know that something is going on with the reception on our iPhone 4 devices and some of us are jumping through hoops to avoid any troubles, but according to Steve Jobs' latest email: There are no reception issues.

Gizmodo reader Mark recently wrote an email to Apple CEO Steve Jobs regarding his new iPhone 4 and some of the troubles he's experienced:

Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that this is the most amazing phone I've ever owned. FaceTime is incredible! Everything is fantastic except the reception issues I've been having.

My buddy has the same issue and he called AppleCare and was shipped a free bumper case. I called too, 2 hours and 3 dropped calls later, I was told that nobody is getting free bumpers. Which is strange because I saw my friends email confirmation showing he was getting a free one. I tried to get one on launch day but the store was sold out. Is there anything you or one of your executive escalations people can do? I love everything about the phone except my signal issues. I hope to hear back with good news.

Thanks for your time,

Mark
Steve replied:

There is no reception issue. Stay tuned.

This response contradicts both a statement by Apple and a prior email from Steve. Apple's statement confirmed that there are issues, but that it's due to how we hold our phones:

Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.

And Steve's prior email referenced this statement when he told a reader to "just avoid holding [his phone a particular] way".

Such confusing messages. I guess there's little left to do except listen to Steve and "stay tuned" for more news.

For reference, as with any other Jobs email, this one could be spoofed. Mark was kind enough to allow me to log into his webmail account to view the email personally, but even that does not guarantee validity.

http://gizmodo.com/5573680/steve-jobs-on-iphone-4-there-is-no-reception-issue--stay-tuned

Hoofbite

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3444332 said:
Every phone I've had, I've dropped. The case prevents the phone from breaking apart on impact.

Me as well. I always seem to put mine in my lap when in my car and then I get out of my car and the phone drops to the ground.

For anyone with any case, you should check out

www.bestskinsever.com

They are the exact same things as the Invisible Shield that sell for like 30 bucks at Best Buy.

I've gotten numerous of these and they work great.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
theogt;3444606 said:
Some hope....

Steve Jobs On iPhone 4: "There Is No Reception Issue. Stay Tuned."

We know that something is going on with the reception on our iPhone 4 devices and some of us are jumping through hoops to avoid any troubles, but according to Steve Jobs' latest email: There are no reception issues.

Gizmodo reader Mark recently wrote an email to Apple CEO Steve Jobs regarding his new iPhone 4 and some of the troubles he's experienced:

Steve replied:

This response contradicts both a statement by Apple and a prior email from Steve. Apple's statement confirmed that there are issues, but that it's due to how we hold our phones:

And Steve's prior email referenced this statement when he told a reader to "just avoid holding [his phone a particular] way".

Such confusing messages. I guess there's little left to do except listen to Steve and "stay tuned" for more news.

For reference, as with any other Jobs email, this one could be spoofed. Mark was kind enough to allow me to log into his webmail account to view the email personally, but even that does not guarantee validity.

http://gizmodo.com/5573680/steve-jobs-on-iphone-4-there-is-no-reception-issue--stay-tuned

I didn't know Jobs was Baghdad Bob :laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3444332 said:
Every phone I've had, I've dropped. The case prevents the phone from breaking apart on impact.
I've dropped every phone I've ever had as well (numerous times, of course). I've never had one break, though, in the 15 or so years of owning cells phones. I think they make phones look ugly and I'd rather risk the very small chance of having a phone break than walk around with a bulky, tacky looking phone case. Just a personal preference.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3444679 said:
I didn't know Jobs was Baghdad Bob :laugh2:
Given the "leaked" iOS 4.0.1, I think he's simply referring to the coming update, which would indicate it isn't a true "hardware problem." The guy certainly needs a filter on his e-mails, because he comes off as an ***-hole and an idiot.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3444688 said:
Given the "leaked" iOS 4.0.1, I think he's simply referring to the coming update, which would indicate it isn't a true "hardware problem." The guy certainly needs a filter on his e-mails, because he comes off as an ***-hole and an idiot.

I think he comes off that way because he is an *******. Far from an idiot though.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3444685 said:
I've dropped every phone I've ever had as well (numerous times, of course). I've never had one break, though, in the 15 or so years of owning cells phones. I think they make phones look ugly and I'd rather risk the very small chance of having a phone break than walk around with a bulky, tacky looking phone case. Just a personal preference.

The iPhone 4 will probably end that streak fir you if you decide to go sans case. A few have broken already including a review unit for Gizmodo.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;3445010 said:
The iPhone 4 will probably end that streak fir you if you decide to go sans case. A few have broken already including a review unit for Gizmodo.

They broke because the idiots dropped the phone multiple times trying to break it. I guess people should avoid buying real glasses to drink with or eyeglasses for that matter since they will all break it you hold them up high and drop them on asphalt several times. Oh and don't even think about buying a new LCD/LED/Plasma TV because they will likely break the first time they are dropped from a few feet off the ground.

.. and that's coming from someone who's not an iPhone fan.

-Reality

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Reality;3445020 said:
They broke because the idiots dropped the phone multiple times trying to break it. I guess people should avoid buying real glasses to drink with or eyeglasses for that matter since they will all break it you hold them up high and drop them on asphalt several times. Oh and don't even think about buying a new LCD/LED/Plasma TV because they will likely break the first time they are dropped from a few feet off the ground.

.. and that's coming from someone who's not an iPhone fan.

-Reality

I've seen that video and that wasn't by Gizmodo.

I guess Gizmodo had a tester running around New York testing the phone for service outages in the normal 3G spots and he dropped the phone while doing so. His account says that the phone fell and landed on the side before flopping over (or something like that). Any way, it was supposedly unintentional and the back glass broke.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would go without a case. I guess I'm a fan of keeping my high-priced goods in pristine condition. The first iPhone I had, I only had an invisible shield covering the whole thing. After about 6 months the back started to peel so I just took it off. The back got all scuffed and scraped really quickly. So, after I replaced it at the Apple store I bought an OtterBox and my new phone is damn near perfect.

I fully plan on buying another OtterBox. IMO, there isn't a better product out there.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;3445024 said:

I guess Gizmodo had a tester running around New York testing the phone for service outages in the normal 3G spots and he dropped the phone while doing so. His account says that the phone fell and landed on the side before flopping over (or something like that). Any way, it was supposedly unintentional and the back glass broke.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would go without a case. I guess I'm a fan of keeping my high-priced goods in pristine condition. The first iPhone I had, I only had an invisible shield covering the whole thing. After about 6 months the back started to peel so I just took it off. The back got all scuffed and scraped really quickly. So, after I replaced it at the Apple store I bought an OtterBox and my new phone is damn near perfect.

I fully plan on buying another OtterBox. IMO, there isn't a better product out there.
I agree that anyone buying an iPhone whether that be the newest one or an older model should have a case on it. I have an iPod Touch and the very first thing I did was buy a case for it. I hate the design of the new iPhones .. I think it was a huge step backwards IMO but the features of the iPhone 4 are quite impressive.

As much as I like my Ipod Touch, I have found it too small to use for anything beyond quick email checks and texting and it would have been too large to carry around to use as a phone had I gotten the iPhone instead. I guess that's why I'm quite happy with my normal non-smartphone cellphone and my iPad 3G.

-Reality

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3444685 said:

http://img695.*************/img695/2929/policestationcellphone.gif

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I agree, I think it is a no-brainer to buy a case for any touchscreen phone.

I actually have a mophie case, which I was able to get virtually for free.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
How exactly does software fix a hardware reception issue? Shock the hell out of you if you hold the phone wrong? :laugh2:

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;3445084 said:
How exactly does software fix a hardware reception issue? Shock the hell out of you if you hold the phone wrong? :laugh2:

Simple case:

A receiver can 'listen' to many different frequencies.

An algorithm can be created to 'listen' to the strongest signal.

It could be as simple as not switching to a different freq upon signal degradation.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;3445106 said:
Simple case:

A receiver can 'listen' to many different frequencies.

An algorithm can be created to 'listen' to the strongest signal.

It could be as simple as not switching to a different freq upon signal degradation.

:confused: The signal is the problem in the first place. Holding the phone in a specific position blocks the frequency's path to the antenna. Using software to switch (or not) signals shouldn't improve the reception all that much if at all. The only way to do that would be to switch to a band (like microwaves) that isn't impeded by someones hand. (obviously not an option)

Granted higher frequencies are more susceptible to frequency blockage, but mobile frequencies are also very susceptible to blockage also. It is handled in most mobile phone by placing the antenna away from were the phone is held (read top) since a hand usually wraps around the phone blocking several different directions. Blocking a signal in one direction is okay since mobile towers usually exist in several directions with overlapping coverage. Software does allow that, but if a signal can't get through, software isn't going to fix that.

Obviously, I don't know the full story behind what is happening, but thus far it sounds more like a design flaw than a software issue. I find it laughable that Apple blames it's users rather than accepting blame for an obvious misstep.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3445010 said:
Doubtful. I've dropped it a couple times already.

Hoofbite;3445024 said:

I'd rather have a few scratches than a big, ugly case.

When I replaced my iPhone 4 yesterday due to a camera issue, the Genius bar guy took a screwdriver to the glass on the one I was turning in to test it out. He was digging into it pretty hard with the flat head screwdriver (it had a pretty pretty sharp end) and there wasn't a scratch to be seen.

In my opinion, this is the best looking phone I've ever seen. There's no way I'm going to make it look hideous with some rubber case.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3445126 said:
:confused: The signal is the problem in the first place. Holding the phone in a specific position blocks the frequency's path to the antenna. Using software to switch (or not) signals shouldn't improve the reception all that much if at all. The only way to do that would be to switch to a band (like microwaves) that isn't impeded by someones hand. (obviously not an option)

Granted higher frequencies are more susceptible to frequency blockage, but mobile frequencies are also very susceptible to blockage also. It is handled in most mobile phone by placing the antenna away from were the phone is held (read top) since a hand usually wraps around the phone blocking several different directions. Blocking a signal in one direction is okay since mobile towers usually exist in several directions with overlapping coverage. Software does allow that, but if a signal can't get through, software isn't going to fix that.

Obviously, I don't know the full story behind what is happening, but thus far it sounds more like a design flaw than a software issue. I find it laughable that Apple blames it's users rather than accepting blame for an obvious misstep.
From everything I've read, mobile phones do not put the antenna at the top anymore. I'm not going to speculate too much on if it's possible that there is a software fix or not, because I'm not really an expert on the issue. But it sounds like you're not either (though it probably won't stop you from acting like you know what you're talking about).

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3445150 said:
From everything I've read, mobile phones do not put the antenna at the top anymore. I'm not going to speculate too much on if it's possible that there is a software fix or not, because I'm not really an expert on the issue. But it sounds like you're not either (though it probably won't stop you from acting like you know what you're talking about).

You're right, I'm not a mobile phone expert. Though considering how small mobile phones are these days, there isn't many places it could go. Placing it where you hold the phone would be an absolute no, no as it would be impeded on all sides. (three sides from your hand, and the fourth by your head when you are talking on it)

The only thing I heard about not putting them on top anymore is when they actually used to visibly stick out on top of the phone.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3445024 said:
Personally, I don't know why anyone would go without a case. I guess I'm a fan of keeping my high-priced goods in pristine condition.

Yeah same here, I take extremely good care of all my gear. I don't see any reason to not slap a case on your phone, there is such a wide selection there is bound to be one that not only looks good but protects well without making your device overly bulky.

But it's a free country.

I often find that because Apple designs such beautiful hardware (the best hardware design in the business if you ask me), cosmetic imperfections like scratches and chips tend to bum me out.