Is a team wrong to use the Franchise Tag?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Again , we can’t assume his production in NY would have been same in Pittsburgh. But we can measure the impact his departure on the Steelers.

And while it did loosen up Cap space did the Steelers use it effectively so the loss of his talent wasn’t as impactful.
We can't measure the impact of his departure, because he could have drastically underperformed. If he stayed, their is no guarantee he would have kept performing at the same level.

Proof

Reaction score
bingo.... math, its not complicated.
seems to be complicated for some of you. the tag this year is 21 mil. that's not taking into account all of the recent monster wr contracts that have since been signed. also you can't tag lamb this year. so at this point next years tag will be at least 31 million. jamarr chases new deal may add to that. so if you tag him, at best you're signing him for a fully guaranteed 31 mil, due immediately and any future negotiations against that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The union and the owners both agreed to terms on a franchise tag, when it can be used, and the amount a player is to be paid if the tag is used. The players and owners agreed, that taking the top 5 salaries at a position averaged out is fair for ALL players. This tag protects the players from a ridiculously low offer from a team and protects team from unreasonable demands from a player.

The most important part f this, is that both PLAYERS and owners agreed to this process.

So why is it that if a team uses the tag on a player that they are deemed as evil? In any union, the contract is simply the rules that both sides my pay by... so what is the problem here?

Why do so many of you view the owners as mistreating a player in someway if they use the tag?
The tag is an expensive tool to retain a player we would otherwise lose. I don't demonize the FO for using it.

Proof

Reaction score
Anywho, my biggest issue with the franchise tag is the rookie wage scale. I think there should only be one or the other. players salaries are already artificially suppressed coming into the league, and adding a mechanism to the end of it that hamstrings their negotiating power further is crummy in a league with such short careers to begin with.

Proof

Reaction score
The Steelers probably played that right. Bell was offered 5 years 75M. Sounds great on the surface. The sticking point, only his 10M dollar signing bonus was guaranteed. They could cut him at any time. Bell refusing made it look like he never intended to live up to that contract.
Ehh... I'd counter that he surmised it would be difficult to live up to it given the incredible usage they put on him.

Flamma

Reaction score
oh, but I want to give Lamb a 4 year extension, but hes demanding a no trade clause, and hes demaning no franchise tag... you giving that?
To be honest, I know the Cowboys aren't going anywhere this year. I trade Lamb and let Dak play the year out. Any QB like Minshew or Mayfield can get us to the playoffs and lose. I wouldn't pay that huge money for that. Pay Parsons, pay Bland, and retool. WRs aren't the hardest position to replace.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
To be honest, I know the Cowboys aren't going anywhere this year. I trade Lamb and let Dak play the year out. Any QB like Minshew or Mayfield can get us to the playoffs and lose. I wouldn't pay that huge money for that. Pay Parsons, pay Bland, and retool. WRs aren't the hardest position to replace.
How many teams have a CeeDee Lamb? Id argue less than half. Im not letting that walk.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We can't measure the impact of his departure, because he could have drastically underperformed. If he stayed, their is no guarantee he would have kept performing at the same level.
Yes but the fact he did leave we can measure the impact however indirectly it might be.

While it’s a speculative proposal we often measure the impact of losing key talents by the results of the team following his departure.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Anywho, my biggest issue with the franchise tag is the rookie wage scale. I think there should only be one or the other. players salaries are already artificially suppressed coming into the league, and adding a mechanism to the end of it that hamstrings their negotiating power further is crummy in a league with such short careers to begin with.
It's why they are all trying to extend with a year left. CD sitting out the 5th year is the just the flip side of the tag.

Franchise tag is virtually non-existent for players coming off their rookie deal, especially first rounders. It's hardly used at all, really.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes but the fact he did leave we can measure the impact however indirectly it might be.

While it’s a speculative proposal we often measure the impact of losing key talents by the results of the team following his departure.
Yes, and his departure to NY was horrendous.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yes, let's pay $50-something million cap dollars to have Gardner Minshew as our starter. Brilliant strategy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes, let's pay $50-something million cap dollars to have Gardner Minshew as our starter. Brilliant strategy.
Let's go QB committee.

Extend Trance, sign Fields and any other running QB. Pay them all $6M plus incentives. Let them run the ball, when they get hurt next man up.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Let's go QB committee.

Extend Trance, sign Fields and any other running QB. Pay them all $6M plus incentives. Let them run the ball, when they get hurt next man up.
I mean this is funny but you aren't getting them for $6m. You'd also be a terrible team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I mean this is funny but you aren't getting them for $6m. You'd also be a terrible team.
I was being sarcastic. I would not pay either one of them. You have to be a QB first, not an athlete trying be a QB.

Running around waiting for a WR to get open may appear to be exciting. However, that does not work in the NFL on a consistent basis.

If you can't throw with accuracy on a slant, or a 5 yard out, you are about useless as QB.

That is as about as equivalent to a MLB catcher not being able to throw the ball to the bag at 2nd base.

shabazz

Reaction score
Not that I'd want him here, but Minshew has as many playoff wins as our 55 million dollar man.

2-0.....Ain't that some ish.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, and his departure to NY was horrendous.
Yep , his career was never the same and the Steelers were impacted as well after Bells departure as they missed the playoffs two consecutive years after going 4 straight with Bell.

Flamma

Reaction score
You missed the entire point. The idea behind Minshew was to not pay 50M a year, but get to the same round of the playoffs.