Is a team wrong to use the Franchise Tag?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You missed the entire point. The idea behind Minshew was to not pay 50M a year, but get to the same round of the playoffs.
No, you are missing the point.

Dallas is paying Dak $40-something million next year against the cap if he walks. So you're spending $50 milliion cap dollars on Minshew.

Flamma

Reaction score

Dallas is paying Dak $40-something million next year against the cap if he walks. So you're spending $50 milliion cap dollars on Minshew.
Well yeah, for one year. What difference does it make when we get bounced in the first round? I'm basically talking about post Dak cap hits. If they get rid of Dak, he's a 40M cap hit in 2025 no matter what. I'm just saying you can get the same production in regard to playoffs with a lesser paid QB going forward. They don't need to pay 60M for an early exit in the playoffs.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Well yeah, for one year. What difference does it make when we get bounced in the first round? I'm basically talking about post Dak cap hits. If they get rid of Dak, he's a 40M cap hit in 2025 no matter what. I'm just saying you can get the same production in regard to playoffs with a lesser paid QB going forward. They don't need to pay 60M for an early exit in the playoffs.
Ok so then the long-term plan is just constantly have bad QB play? lol.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Do you want Dak at 60M a year and a first round out? Or a lesser QB being paid much less and a first round out? Dak is only a difference maker in the regular season win total. But not a difference maker in the playoffs. Why pay more for the same results? If your only goal is to make the playoffs, hell, Tampa made the playoffs last year. They at least won a playoff game.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Do you want Dak at 60M a year and a first round out? Or a lesser QB being paid much less and a first round out? Dak is only a difference maker in the regular season win total. But not a difference maker in the playoffs. Why pay more for the same results? If your only goal is to make the playoffs, hell, Tampa made the playoffs last year. They at least won a playoff game.
Dak gives you a chance to contend, like it or not. Too many people confuse "hasn't" with "can't." I mean by your logic, the only QB that any team should pay is Mahomes.

What is your goal? Just be bad for an indefinite number of years?

Chasing6

Reaction score

Dallas is not paying Dak $40M next year. Dak was already paid that money. Our great GM Jethro kicked the can down the road by restructuring his contract to pay players like Gallup.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If a player is asking for more than they are worth, or asking for things like a no trade clause, or player demanding a 3 year deal... yea, those are all reasons to not get a deal done.
Is it really though? Is a few million really worth letting one of the best players in football walk? The answer is a resounding no.

If you don't want to pony up the cash, just grow a pair and trade the player for a war chest of picks instead of sour the relationship, slap a tag on him, absorb a monster cap hit, and lose the player the next offseason.

You should either trade him, or sign him. It's a simple as that. A one year tag in a lame duck season where you really don't seem all that interested in winning would be stupid.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Wrong. He has a void year and a $40m cap hit.
A cap hit is not a payment to Dak.

Dak's base salary in 2025 is zero that is why he is a FA. Signing bonuses get paid up front and can be spread out over time. Same for restructuring contracts. A void year is a way to kick the cap hit down the road.

If he was still being paid he would still be on the roster for 2025.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
People that think Garder Minshew is even remotely close to the same kind of player as Dak are just being dishonest. The "he gets you to the same round" argument is just a total strawman. Dan Marino won the same number of Superbowls as Ryan Fitzpatrick. By this logic they are the same.

You don't have to love the guy, trust me, I'm not enamored with his play sometimes, but to pretend that any bum off the street gets you 12 wins a year is just stupid.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well I don't mind them using the franchise tag because it's there and they should use it but in this case they need to get all their superstars signed without using the tag because A tag would workout better to use on a guy like bland who I'm not sure we can afford but if we could keep his service as an extra year or two using the tag that would benefit the Cowboys and that would be a good use of it in my opinion...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well I don't mind them using the franchise tag because it's there and they should use it but in this case they need to get all their superstars signed without using the tag because A tag would workout better to use on a guy like bland who I'm not sure we can afford but if we could keep his service as an extra year or two using the tag that would benefit the Cowboys and that would be a good use of it in my opinion...
How does using the tag on a player that is not going to average top 5 pay make sense?

So I am asking for $20M a year and you say no, I am going to tag you for $25M?

What player is supposed to be upset with that?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
A cap hit is not a payment to Dak.

Dak's base salary in 2025 is zero that is why he is a FA. Signing bonuses get paid up front and can be spread out over time. Same for restructuring contracts. A void year is a way to kick the cap hit down the road.

If he was still being paid he would still be on the roster for 2025.
I didn't say he was being paid $40m cash. I said he has a $40m cap hit....

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

Money does not go from the Dallas Cowboys to Dak Prescott’s bank account(s) next year “if he walks”. The team could release him right now and never pay him another dime. All the guaranteed money on his current deal has long since been paid to him. The cap issues in deference to Dak’s current contract is entirely about how the Cowboys chose to account for the monies paid to Dak. While most teams operate similarly with their big player contracts the Cowboys’ cap dilemma is of their own doing.