Is a team wrong to use the Franchise Tag?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Money does not go from the Dallas Cowboys to Dak Prescott’s bank account(s) next year “if he walks”. The team could release him right now and never pay him another dime. All the guaranteed money on his current deal has long since been paid to him. The cap issues in deference to Dak’s current contract is entirely about how the Cowboys chose to account for the monies paid to Dak. While most teams operate similarly with their big player contracts the Cowboys’ cap dilemma is of their own doing.
AGAINST THE CAPPPPPPPPPP

Read

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Is it really though? Is a few million really worth letting one of the best players in football walk? The answer is a resounding no.

If you don't want to pony up the cash, just grow a pair and trade the player for a war chest of picks instead of sour the relationship, slap a tag on him, absorb a monster cap hit, and lose the player the next offseason.

You should either trade him, or sign him. It's a simple as that. A one year tag in a lame duck season where you really don't seem all that interested in winning would be stupid.
sour the relationship? Why is it a player can hold out and not sour any relationship? But if the team doesnt just bend over for the players demands, that is somehow souring the relationship?

Grow a pair and trade the player? Or how bout shrivel your pair and fold to the players demands?
Or grow a pair and tell the player I got you this year, next year and th eyear after? Then s the Corleone family once said.... it is just business.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
sour the relationship? Why is it a player can hold out and not sour any relationship? But if the team doesnt just bend over for the players demands, that is somehow souring the relationship?

Grow a pair and trade the player? Or how bout shrivel your pair and fold to the players demands?
Or grow a pair and tell the player I got you this year, next year and th eyear after? Then s the Corleone family once said.... it is just business.
Say what you want, but to let Ceedee walk without getting anything in return would be stupid.

Too expensive? Just do what the chiefs did with Tyreek.

If you don't want to sign him and don't like the price he's demanding, just trade him and get back a 1st + more.

Tagging him just delays the inevitable and you are in this exact situation again next year, but odds are the player won't even want to play ball with you again.

Oh sorry, I forgot this is not a competent NFL front office. This is probably too much to ask.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Say what you want, but to let Ceedee walk without getting anything in return would be stupid.

If you don't want to sign him and don't like the price he's demanding, just trade him and get back a 1st + more.

Tagging him just delays the inevitable and you are in this exact situation again next year, but odds are the player won't even want to play ball with you again.

Oh sorry, I forgot this is not a competent NFL front office. This is probably too much to ask.
Sounds good from a fan, you do realize in the real world IE as TRYE FO and Onwership of real team,

they'll go through something like Brandon Ayuk, have three different instances so far in this off season where the trade was imminent and then it wasn't and it was imminent and then it wasn't and then it was imminent and then it wasn't?

It's not a perfect situation but the franchise tag would force another team to give us specific value and make it real.

It's one of those things you use as a way to get things going quick because once you put a franchise tag on someone it kind of speeds things up if not it's an alert just like Brandon ,right now they're going through this in San Francisco it's just weird everyday it says it's close ie little wrinkle to iron out and then all of a sudden maybe Washington is going to trade for him now..ughh like the rumors are just spread but if he was on the tag I think it would be a lot more real for both sides to get it done quicker.

blueblood70

Reaction score

:hammer: It still doesn't seem to sit with people that he's under contract for $1 million a game to play football but he didn't like it so he held out and most of us were OK with him demanding more money but when he turns down $33 million this now shifts from supporting the player to this player is greedy he's not compromising he's holding the team hostage he doesn't even show up at least these other players around the NFL most of them are hold in like jamar chase and Brandon I you came in at least hung around their teammates they're in the locker room they're using the facilities they're attending the preseason games when you have a player like lamb who just shuts all his stuff off on social media about the Dallas Cowboys and act like he's on his way out and he can care less about his teammates or the fan base..

You damn straight it's gonna sour the relationship because I'm already starting to turn on the guy. I'm starting to remember as a Longhorns fan why I hated this guy to begin with that's right because he's from Oklahoma but we became a cowboy I gave him all my support but he's turning down a large contract that would make him the second highest paid non quarterback in the league the second wide receiver pay in the league Trayvon diggs didn't do this why do you think we love Trayvon you know when he talks to the media he talks softly he seems to be humble he took a top five deals it was #4 we didn't go through all this holdout stuff you know why because him and his agent made it easy they took big time money but they didn't ask for the world and wouldn't compromise... And a year later he's still top five in money it didn't change much over a year.

So I'm all for a player holding out and demanding money because he wants to accelerate the process and have some future guarantees but whenever the ownership says OK we'll give you the second most money in the league that's not a quarterback and then you turn it down it changes people's perception of the player... I don't care about what the language is and the details of the contract is it sounds like a really good deal and he's being greedy in my opinion wanting to be higher than Justin Jefferson when I sat and watched tyree kill just take 30 million DJ Moore take 27.5 million the league average is 31 million the Cowboys are paying you more than the average top five..

That's what changed it for me now maybe it will be smart for lambs agents to specify show us a copy of the contractor the parts that you believe the fans would then support you because right now I have changed I went from not having a side but being OK with the holdout too it's two weeks before game one and he turned down big time money and they're blaming the ownership for not getting the deal done no the player didn't sign it he has a big deal in place..

Reid1boys

Reaction score

I wish we had real football people running things... like the Giants.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wish we had real football people running things... like the Giants.
If you want me to pretend that Jerry has done a bang up job, I’m just not going to.

The Giants have won two Superbowls in the last 16 seasons by the way.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
every blind squirrel can find a nut. The giants have had a total of 11 winning seasons since 1994. The cowboys have 17 in that span.

It sucks not winning the SB, but I would trade places with that sorry team. Even one of the years they got lucky and won it, they were 7-7 after 14 games and calling for their coach to be fired.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
every blind squirrel can find a nut. The giants have had a total of 11 winning seasons since 1994. The cowboys have 17 in that span.

It sucks not winning the SB, but I would trade places with that sorry team. Even one of the years they got lucky and won it, they were 7-7 after 14 games and calling for their coach to be fired.
Yeah I get it, the Giants are not a model for front office greatness, but even they could build two winners.

Jerry has had more than enough time to build a modern era Super Bowl team and just has never been able to come particularly close to delivering.

Hopefully the Cowboys find the nut eventually.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak gives you a chance to contend, like it or not. Too many people confuse "hasn't" with "can't." I mean by your logic, the only QB that any team should pay is Mahomes.

What is your goal? Just be bad for an indefinite number of years?
No, he doesn't. We aren't the Eagles, Rams, or 49ers. The Cowboys don't put the necessary talent around their QB to get to a SB. The Cowboys, unlike the teams I mentioned, need an elite QB to go far into the playoffs.

Besides that, we have the Dak choke effect. I don't know if that's a mental issue or not.

Chasing6

Reaction score

He can't walk. He is under contract and will be tagged.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He can't walk. He is under contract and will be tagged.
I know that. I’m talking about after the tag. Why tag a player for a single season, take a huge cap hit, and likely watch him walk away next season?

It makes no sense. You either sign him or trade him now because it’s unlikely you’ll be able to sign him after the tag year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Who said anything about letting him walk. If you played hardball and made him play this last year of his rookie deal with no extension. Then followed that up with slapping the tag on him, I suspect Lamb would get more serious about this thing called negotiating and we would have a deal. But when the player thinks they can just demand an amount that the team must acquiesce to, this is why these long holdouts happen. And now we are hearing Chase expects 40 million per season? this is laughable.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I know that. I’m talking about after the tag. Why tag a player for a single season, take a huge cap hit, and likely watch him walk away next season?

It makes no sense. You either sign him or trade him now because it’s unlikely you’ll be able to sign him after the tag year.
how many top players have you seen get tagged and then eventually walk away to another team? Ive seen Bell and cousins. Worked well for cousins, not so well for Bell... but that is two players that I could think of. Teams need to start using the tools at their disposal to help in these "Negotiations."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah I get it, the Giants are not a model for front office greatness, but even they could build two winners.

Jerry has had more than enough time to build a modern era Super Bowl team and just has never been able to come particularly close to delivering.

Hopefully the Cowboys find the nut eventually.
There are some greater examples out there the Cowboys can aspire too. And at least these other franchises have an opportunity to finally get it right .

Those arguing that hanging around the rim without more playoff success are pandering to our owners agendas.

And if your argument is these other successful models to follow all hover around an Elite QB then why hasn’t our ownership been more pursuant of an Elite QB instead of content with less than Elite QB’s like Romo and Prescott.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
how many top players have you seen get tagged and then eventually walk away to another team? Ive seen Bell and cousins. Worked well for cousins, not so well for Bell... but that is two players that I could think of. Teams need to start using the tools at their disposal to help in these "Negotiations."
Von Miller and Brees couple others which come to mind.

But there are many others like Shultz we probably aren’t as familiar. We’d have to go thru each seasons Franchise Tag players and research.

On the average looking back a few years they’re only 5-10 players in the league placed on Franchise Tag.

Id guess it’s less than players who end up staying or eventually resigning. And it’s very rare for QB’s to bolt after being tagged. Brees and Cousins only Franchise caliber QB’s I’m aware of.