Is Belichick the Head Coach next year?

Will Bill Belichick be coaching the Cowboys next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Belichick would never take take the job without being given full autonomy over the team, the draft, cuts, free-agent signings, and would want Jerry to stay out of news conferences, out of the locker room, and off the practice field.
In other words, the answer is, "no."
I dont agree, he said already he didnt want full control. Jerry would still be GM and have his say in draft and fa signs etc.
Jerry would have to give up some things and bill would too.

shabazz

Reaction score
Belichick was on McAfee and stated he is studying game film for the draft for their upcoming draft, so he's obviously staying in his routine, but I believe there's a strong possibility that he and Jerry already have a gentleman's agreement for 2025 and this "non-signing" of Dak has Bills fingerprints all over it.

The 2024 seasons results will be by design and the Jerry is getting the roster leaner and streamlined for BBs coronation.

Look, say what you want about Belichick GMs ability waning BUT the man still knows more about defensive football than any coach alive. If you're tired of the lunatics running the asylum, no consequences, and a defense getting run on, BB may be the answer.

Are there negatives associated with BB though? Of course.

phildadon86

Reaction score
From what I am seeing. A source close to BB said he would only coach the Cowboys. Take that for whats its worth. It was reported on ESPN.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bill Belechick is 72. He has certainly been one of the greatest HCs ever. BUT….He hasn’t won a playoff game in 5 years. Like the great Tom Landry (one of Bill Bs heroes) Belechick’s time is up. Tom Landry was 64 when his time with the Cowboys ended. Hiring Bill B would be a step backward.

Besides all that, I don’t think JJ would ever agree to hire BB anyway. Even when he hired Parcells and appeared to back off some, it didn’t last.

Wanting a has been HC who is an all time great but whose time is up is very emblematic of this sad culture. We as fans are grasping at any straws that might bring hope. A move to Bill B would be false hope and frankly a step backward not forward.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Does anybody really think the owner with the ego bigger than AT&T stadium, would even take the slightest chance on hiring Belicheat, have him turn the team around, has playoff success, and take the credit for it? Sorry cant see it, just not in Jerry's DNA. Jerry loves his retreads but I don't think he will hire this one.
That's exactly why Prime will never be the Cowboys coach.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Jerry was running the team maybe but he wouldn't have success here, it would just be for the money. Stephen runs things now and I doubt stephen is onboard with a belachik signing.

tm1119

Reaction score
The better question is do we want Belichick? Look at the state of the roster be left in New England. Look at their draft picks. Look at the free agents they signed.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That was not what was described:

Parcells described a committee approach which he was a part of. It is the same thing they do today.
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1259564
I’m aware of the ‘Jerry being the hero’ with the Ware situation, but BP was handling player personnel for the most part while was here.

Yes, Jerry made two moves that Parcells didn’t agree with and they each turned out well. That probably fueled the situation we are still paying for.

Outside of 2005, Parcells’ drafts were awful. His strength was getting every ounce out of the players he had on hand, not selecting them.

I’m not sure of our point here, but when BP was HC, I certainly recall hearing most of the PCs with an understanding of who was in charge. Makes sense since Jerry didn’t at all like it, and once the roster was built, and a new QB was groomed, he couldn’t wait to say ‘thanks, I’ll take it from here,’ and they have been following his football isn’t first lead ever since.

Still, I have mixed feelings on it. I didn’t like that BP had to wait two years to install the 34 because Jerry had just extended Zimmer. I also thought he would have had that 2007 team better prepared for that Giants game, but then again….they probably don’t even get there without TO.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The better question is do we want Belichick? Look at the state of the roster be left in New England. Look at their draft picks. Look at the free agents they signed.
Super Bowl Rings Math wins

shabazz

Reaction score
. We as fans are grasping at any straws that might bring hope. A move to Bill B would be false hope and frankly a step backward not forward.
But the question isn't " who do we want" it's " will BB be the next HC" so we have to answer it through the eyes of Jerry Jones.

JERRY has watched the Patriots dynasty from its inception and as far as Belichicks age, 72 years old doesn't seem old to an 81 year old. Jerry believes that he is on top of his game as an 81 year old GM so would he think that a HC that's 10 years younger would be incompetent?

We have to view these things from the eyes of an 80 year old that doesn't see age as an impediment........what he DOES SEE is a HC that brings consequences and order to an organization that has had NEITHER.

Just food for thought

Creeper

Reaction score
I think all things point to Belichick in Dallas next year, but I still struggle to see it happen.

The way Jerry is sitting on his hands leads me to believe he is not going all out to win this year. Does it mean he is setting up MM in the last year of his contract? Maybe. But why not fire MM this year and hire BB now (or 2 months ago) instead of waiting a year?

Then there is the Dak contract situation. I don't think BB wants to go through what he went through up in NE after Brady left. He is going to want a stable QB situation. He is 72 already and doesn't have time to find and develop a franchise QB. Belichick is going to want to take over a situation where he can win right away. Dallas without Dak, and possibly CeeDee is not that kind of situation. I also think he won't want to take over a team with CAP issues that prevents him from turning over the roster.

IMO, BB is washed up. I just don't know that he has enough left to start over.

75boyz

Reaction score
I am in the minority on this one— but I voted yes for these reasons:

1. I want it to happen so I am hoping it does lol… there may be some great younger coaches I would get on board with— but BB coming in after another failed season could potentially achieve the kind of reset this team needs, and we are in desperate need for the kind of football first attitude, discipline, and philosophy that he would bring

2. They have set MM up for failure as a lame duck this year— so JJ turning for comfort in the arms of the HC with the most SB wins in league history when it inevitably happens does 3 things: 1) energizes the franchise with hope, 2) empowers deep change within the franchise (if JJ and SJ give him the chance ala Parcells), and 3) is a “big dramatic splash” for JJ and would be a huge PR win going into 2025 following a disastrous 2024. What a way to rinse out the taste of failure— and hey— if BB can’t do it, JJ can at least say he tried his best by hiring the best for one last hurrah

3. BB wants to stick it to Kraft and turning the Cowboys from laughing stock to champions is exactly the kind of franchise transforming legacy that would undoubtedly cement Bill as the greatest HC in NFL history. That opportunity indeed might lure him to the bright lights in Big D. I don’t know how much he has left in his tank, but a rested and motivated BB might still have some juice

4. The fact the Cowboys are not spending money on key extensions at this point is possibly a sign that they are looking for macro roster change should this core group of players fail to deliver again. They appear to be delaying key decisions — are they doing that with a mind to make them next year with the input of a new HC? Maybe.

Probably will be wrong on this one— but it is an interesting potential HC change that would pique my interest in this team again
Great post.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Taking the "Should he be the coach" part out lets look at what Jerry would do...If this team has a bad season (5-8 wins would be bad to me) and the heat goes even higher on Jerry..then yeah he would do it for the press alone...

75boyz

Reaction score
Bill Belechick is 72. He has certainly been one of the greatest HCs ever. BUT….He hasn’t won a playoff game in 5 years. Like the great Tom Landry (one of Bill Bs heroes) Belechick’s time is up. Tom Landry was 64 when his time with the Cowboys ended. Hiring Bill B would be a step backward.

Besides all that, I don’t think JJ would ever agree to hire BB anyway. Even when he hired Parcells and appeared to back off some, it didn’t last.

Wanting a has been HC who is an all time great but whose time is up is very emblematic of this sad culture. We as fans are grasping at any straws that might bring hope. A move to Bill B would be false hope and frankly a step backward not forward.
Hawkeye19's post is a well thought out more optimistic opinion on supporting the BB hire.
Yours is the counter negative argument not supporting the hire.

Both plausible points of view imo.
Yours sounds more realistic as the team stands right now to me.

Personally, I'm kinda straddling the fence because the only way I see it working is with a home run hire at playcaller and a legit franchise QB running the offense in order to support the hire.

If we could pull off those 2 acquisitions I could envision success with the BB hire. Without it, it's a definite "no" as my vote.

So those 2 big IFs are where I'm at.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

I tend to agree with this, but i dont know how motivated BB and staff are to change the current narrative..on "Would" Jerry do it, if this season is a crash and burn..yeah he would for the press it would generate, he would sell the snot outta hiring "The best HC of all time"

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Belichick was on McAfee and stated he is studying game film for the draft for their upcoming draft, so he's obviously staying in his routine, but I believe there's a strong possibility that he and Jerry already have a gentleman's agreement for 2025 and this "non-signing" of Dak has Bills fingerprints all over it.

The 2024 seasons results will be by design and the Jerry is getting the roster leaner and streamlined for BBs coronation.

Look, say what you want about Belichick GMs ability waning BUT the man still knows more about defensive football than any coach alive. If you're tired of the lunatics running the asylum, no consequences, and a defense getting run on, BB may be the answer.

Are there negatives associated with BB though? Of course.
I don't think Belichick has any fingerprints on the Dallas roster. I thought Jimmy Johnson was giving input, though. Who is running that team?