Is Belichick the Head Coach next year?

Will Bill Belichick be coaching the Cowboys next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jerry did actually agree to butt out and let Parcells run things, and he kept his word ... for a while. He eventually just couldn't resist butting back in.
They had the agreement that Parcells would be the one to talk to the media. And it worked out until Parcells wanted to retire. He left and only has great things to say about both Joneses.

The entire time BP did not run things in the draft or free agency.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Jerry will hire the worst possible candidate - so either Zimmer or Campo in 2025.

StarLord

Reaction score
I voted no. I would be fine with yes.. honestly it all depends, him or Garrett? Of course BB.. as a for instance. I will say IF BB as head coach is the plan, then they just hire him as an advisor or whatever so he can start now.

Adreme

Reaction score
The only reason one votes no is because the Bills job to be very tempting with how Kraft is outright trying to sabotage him. When your former boss is trying to do that to you the possibility of joining the Bills and getting payback twice a year has to be irresistible .

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah I’m sure they are great friends.

Wait until Jerry insists on being privy to the gameplan then barfs out some of it to the media. Bill will love it.

Then we get to start over with a new coach yet again before all that long.

Maybe it’s similar to a Parcells situation ….’please point us in the right direction then we will let you know when we are done with you. Meanwhile you’ll get your win record and we can sell your resume to our fans, but we really don’t want you actually running things or taking any credit.’ It may be BBs only opportunity.

What actually needs to happen is to find the next McVay/LaFleur/Shanahan/McDermott. Jerrys last two attempts at that were Jason Garrett and Kellen Moore so I’m not holding my breath.

One of my pet peeves is that more than 100% of anything is not possible, but I’m about a million percent sure that Mike Zimmer is the next head coach of this team because first and foremost, Jerry has to be Jerry. Face of everything. Ruler of the world.

If Bill actually accepts Jerry being Jerry, he is here for the wrong reasons, but I guess we will have less pre snap penalties because he is such a hard ***. Please.

MS17

Reaction score
Someone posted here a few months ago that the first time Jerry and Stephen sit in on a coach's meeting, it won't end well. Trouble in Paradise.
Unless Bill has a personality transplant, no, he will not be working for Jerry. Just my .02

fivetwos

Reaction score
They had the agreement that Parcells would be the one to talk to the media. And it worked out until Parcells wanted to retire. He left and only has great things to say about both Joneses.

The entire time BP did not run things in the draft or free agency.
Yeah all those ex-Jets that were brought in initially were all about Jerry and his kid.

Did you not listen to the PCs around then or just don’t recall?

Explaining why Carpenter or Fasano were drafted, or why Peterman was cut for Proctor? Parcells ran the place while he was there.

Jerry overruled him on Owens yeah, but then suddenly once the roster was back into shape and BPs contract expired (sounds familiar as opposed to firing)….oh and the stayjum funding was approved, there was no more need for a strong minded head coach.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah all those ex-Jets that were brought in initially were all about Jerry and his kid.

Did you not listen to the PCs around then or just don’t recall?

Explaining why Carpenter or Fasano were drafted, or why Peterman was cut for Proctor? Parcells ran the place while he was there.

Jerry overruled him on Owens yeah, but then suddenly once the roster was back into shape and BPs contract expired (sounds familiar as opposed to firing)….oh and the stayjum funding was approved, there was no more need for a strong minded head coach.
I recall perfectly. And Jerry listened to his coach when making free agency decisions. BP just wasn't running it.

I recall the pressers discussing it at length when BP was overruled on Ware and on TO.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I recall perfectly. And Jerry listened to his coach when making free agency decisions. BP just wasn't running it.

I recall the pressers discussing it at length when BP was overruled on Ware and on TO.
Yep, those two. Jerry overruled him on both.

But he wasn’t running free agency and the draft.

If anything those were moments that made Jerry think he knows more than the great Parcells and he can do it on his own.

That’s gone well.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yep, those two. Jerry overruled him on both.

But he wasn’t running free agency and the draft.

If anything those were moments that made Jerry think he knows more than the great Parcells and he can do it on his own.

That’s gone well.
That was not what was described:

"DeMarcus was a defensive end at Troy," Parcells said to Peter King of The MMQB. "We were going to make him a linebacker. I'm not crazy about projections picked that high in the first round. I would rather have taken a lineman. But Jerry and them wanted to take him. Thank God they did."
Parcells described a committee approach which he was a part of. It is the same thing they do today.
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1259564

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I am in the minority on this one— but I voted yes for these reasons:

1. I want it to happen so I am hoping it does lol… there may be some great younger coaches I would get on board with— but BB coming in after another failed season could potentially achieve the kind of reset this team needs, and we are in desperate need for the kind of football first attitude, discipline, and philosophy that he would bring

2. They have set MM up for failure as a lame duck this year— so JJ turning for comfort in the arms of the HC with the most SB wins in league history when it inevitably happens does 3 things: 1) energizes the franchise with hope, 2) empowers deep change within the franchise (if JJ and SJ give him the chance ala Parcells), and 3) is a “big dramatic splash” for JJ and would be a huge PR win going into 2025 following a disastrous 2024. What a way to rinse out the taste of failure— and hey— if BB can’t do it, JJ can at least say he tried his best by hiring the best for one last hurrah

3. BB wants to stick it to Kraft and turning the Cowboys from laughing stock to champions is exactly the kind of franchise transforming legacy that would undoubtedly cement Bill as the greatest HC in NFL history. That opportunity indeed might lure him to the bright lights in Big D. I don’t know how much he has left in his tank, but a rested and motivated BB might still have some juice

4. The fact the Cowboys are not spending money on key extensions at this point is possibly a sign that they are looking for macro roster change should this core group of players fail to deliver again. They appear to be delaying key decisions — are they doing that with a mind to make them next year with the input of a new HC? Maybe.

Probably will be wrong on this one— but it is an interesting potential HC change that would pique my interest in this team again

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The way the Jones Boys are setting up McCarthy for failure, it certainly feels like a coaching change will happen. Why not hire the most successful Super Bowl-winning coach available?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Unless Belichick has Brady he won’t win and it’s been proven. McCarthy is the second HC Jerry has hired that has a SB win and we didn’t win anything with either coach. Parcells and McCarthy combined for one playoff win in Dallas. Just a waste of time hiring old worn out coaches.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
They said that about Parcells too and they were wrong.
Parcells admitted later that he took the job because he needed the money after his divorce (ex-wife took him to the cleaners).

Belicheck does not need Jerry's money, he has been paid like a king in New England.