Is Brandin Cooks worth $10 million?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The guys had a terrific career but after a down year in 22 the Texans decided to move on. While relatively cheap for a guy putting up 1000+ yards i'm not sure he's that guy anymore and or maybe not the best fit for what Dak likes in a receiver. Maybe his role will grow in his second year here what do yall think?

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
REC
Total receptions
YDS
Receiving yards
AVG
Receiving yards per reception
LNG
Longest reception
TD
Receiving touchdowns
YDS
Rushing yards
AVG
Average yards per carry
2023Cowboys5465712.2378357.0
2022Texans5769912.344373.5

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Depends on the cap situation as a whole and the strategy this team seeks. I wouldn't mind paying him 10m for the year with these numbers if they can also bring in other high tier FAs. But if keeping Dak on his current contract and eating up his big salary this year in order to move on sooner means we cant afford it then bye bye Cooks.

What I wanna see is a wholesome strategy by the FO and the HC for the next year or couple of years and not this "getting some has beens late in the season to fill holes" crap.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They got him going late but I mean with Lamb and Ferguson his role cant grow.

He’s interesting. All I heard about was his speed and he’s still fast but I didn’t see game breaker speed.

However, he plays like he’s 6’6. Didn’t expect that. Plus him and Dak were money in the red zone. He’s still a good player. We need him. Would be nice if he was our 3rd best receiver though.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes because the Dallas Cowboys simply don't target their number two very often it took six games into the season for them to open up the offense and I believe he can give you 8 to 900 yards you do realize the top receivers are making 20 to $30 million put that in perspective that means you're #2 is well worth $10 million and I believe he can have more but his eight touchdowns he made some key plays I say yes first of all don't use the Texans he was injured a little bit that year but he also was playing with a bunch of scrubs at quarterback and again our new system and our play caller play super conservative and didn't open up the offense until like after the loss in San Francisco....

So he can give us more I mean $10 million is pretty average for your number two that can put out that type of production I mean all I can expect is about 600 to 900 yards from your #2 when you have a number one that got 1700 yards set Cowboys records I mean there isn't a lot left for the next guys on the team.. I feel like if CD lamb maybe has a 1400 yard season now the ball gets spread around a little more this year second year in this new offense and hopefully it gets expanded some that we will see closer to 900 yards from Brandon cooks....

Creeper

Reaction score
$10 million is not a lot of money these days, but it depends on how they use him. His size limits what he can do now, I think. They need someone to get open when teams take Lamb out of the game or if Lamb and Dak can't get on the same page. I think they need a consistent possession type receiver with a bit more size that Cooks. That's supposed to be Gallup I think but he has not been as good as expected.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Is that really a question lol? He’s so far gone any saving might have to be a new team. Hate how his career has gone after injury but he just seems to not be there mentally.
it was really just rhetorical....I wouldn't have extended him coming off an injury and trading Cooper instead of extending him was a massive mistake by this organization..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think so, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we need to reevaluate what big money is in the NFL these days. Moving on from Cooks only saves you $4M. Zach Ertz on the tail end of his career just signed a deal for up to $5M. Probably a lot more upside in keeping Cooks and hoping he improves going into year 2 in this system rather than having an extra $4M to spend on lower tier free agents.

kumizi

Reaction score
Cowboys don’t have anything at receiver other than Lamb and Cooks. So he’ll probably stick. But yea I agree he’s at the tail end of his career. People kept quoting how many 1000 yard seasons he’s had when we got him like that’s relevant at his age.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The guys had a terrific career but after a down year in 22 the Texans decided to move on. While relatively cheap for a guy putting up 1000+ yards i'm not sure he's that guy anymore and or maybe not the best fit for what Dak likes in a receiver. Maybe his role will grow in his second year here what do yall think?

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
REC
Total receptions
YDS
Receiving yards
AVG
Receiving yards per reception
LNG
Longest reception
TD
Receiving touchdowns
YDS
Rushing yards
AVG
Average yards per carry
2023Cowboys5465712.2378357.0
2022Texans5769912.344373.5
Look at how the offense functioned before and after he showed up. Statistics don't tell the whole story. His presence takes pressure off of Lamb and allows him to do what he did this season. If the plan is to dump his salary, the team better have a strong replacement plan. Otherwise there will be virtual riots when our $60m QB struggles again. We've already played this game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
$10 million is not a lot of money these days, but it depends on how they use him. His size limits what he can do now, I think. They need someone to get open when teams take Lamb out of the game or if Lamb and Dak can't get on the same page. I think they need a consistent possession type receiver with a bit more size that Cooks. That's supposed to be Gallup I think but he has not been as good as expected.
:hammer:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys don’t have anything at receiver other than Lamb and Cooks. So he’ll probably stick. But yea I agree he’s at the tail end of his career. People kept quoting how many 1000 yard seasons he’s had when we got him like that’s relevant at his age.
Actually you're looking at it with the wrong eye think about this look at his yards per catch his eight touchdowns that says he still has it they didn't target him in the first six games almost not existent they didn't start opening this whole offense up until after the 49er loss when they realized the defense and run game one could be very good they ran to the other side of the playbook and opened it up that's when cook started cooking pun intended look at his yards per catch and his touchdowns, that says he still has enough to get you 8-9 hundred yards from the backup spot those 1000 yard seasons came from being most of the time the number one target, think about it this way the main reason we got rid of amari Cooper was because $22 million for a guy that was gonna give you under 1000 yards a season being the number two target just didn't figure anymore but a guy like cooks does you pay a guy 10 million to get that 800 to 900 yards I mean what was amari Cooper's last year's output here? exactly... Just think about it just a little deeper then the 10 million fits the 22 million didn't fit to get 800 to 900 yards because you have to add in the fact that we also have Ferguson on the come up I mean you don't have that many balls to go around typically unless you have a wide open greatest show on turf offense and that's not what this is this is set up more like the triplets you're gonna go to your number ones at every level first and then the other guys just get the crumbs and there's nothing wrong with that.... I prefer to worry about the run game and getting that back in high gear then worried about who our #2 or #3 wide receivers are...

So now you have to keep perspective this man's had to go behind a guy who just had a career year that set Cowboys records from the receiver spot in CD Lamb with 1700 yards I mean how many receptions I don't even remember like 117 ??

I don't even remember but when you have a guy getting that many targets there's not a lot of else to go around.... And I doubt that's going to happen again this year,

so I'm assuming that there's gonna be a few hundred more yards go to the next guy and we will see around 800 to 900 yards from cooks and that's fully acceptable for $10 million... I mean if you look at the salary base that is what you would pay solid #2 cooks is a solid #2...

ShiningStar

Reaction score
unless its a young core player, doesnt matter what the player is worth, they should be cut on principle, BUT they should also take the opp to leave Dallas.

Dallas is screwing up two things right now, they should be looking at rebuilding right now, not winning, because they can only do one and winning isnt it.

Every FA should be seeking better pastures right now. Dallas is doing nothing by keeping you in this dumpster fire.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Or .... Are both Cooks and Gallup and both cap hits worth it. Or can they bring in another FA WR and draft one for lesser cost.

Also we could easily see both of them staying on renegotiated contracts. You know ... the ... we like ours guys ... approach.
I don't even think there's a 20% chance Michael Gallup stays far too much money even renegotiated because I believe if you give the same amount of targets to tolbert he can give you that same production... So having two guys under larger contracts worrying about your #3 I think it's the waste of resources,,,

there are only so many balls to go around and I think Brandon cooks has plenty to offer at that spot given CD lamb is gonna get so much of the targets and then you also have Ferguson and then the running back position there's just not that many balls to go around...

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
He showed flashes of being that guy. But until we get a run blocking line and a much better running-back who can run teams out of that zone, two high safety look that we saw all last season since we had no running game to get them out of it, I'm very surprised he put up those numbers, and surprised Lamb and Dak did too. I don't understand why the powers that be here can't see how bad we need a running game to take the load off Dak when a DC is smart enough to play to his weaknesses.