Is Brandin Cooks worth $10 million?

ICP

Reaction score
I'd say easily and with the holes at LB, OL, and other areas they might as well be happy to pay him and hope he and Dak are more in sync to start the season

zekecowboy

Reaction score
it was really just rhetorical....I wouldn't have extended him coming off an injury and trading Cooper instead of extending him was a massive mistake by this organization..
Jerry's ego got in the way. It was a tremendous mistake. Getting a 5th rounder for Cooper was like Cleveland stealing him from Dallas.

Reactions: CWR

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I think so, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we need to reevaluate what big money is in the NFL these days. Moving on from Cooks only saves you $4M. Zach Ertz on the tail end of his career just signed a deal for up to $5M. Probably a lot more upside in keeping Cooks and hoping he improves going into year 2 in this system rather than having an extra $4M to spend on lower tier free agents.
I think there’s more upside for Cooks as he really seemed to get going in the second half of season. I’d like him to return.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yes. 10 million is relatively cheap by today’s standards. Plus he is good veteran to have…

blueblood70

Reaction score
All of these accolades and early playoff exit. It's almost like once real football begins in the playoffs, we learn real quick who has been the pretenders for the majority of the season.
And yet I said what I said,

it's all true and by the way you can knock the quarterback all you want dudes were dropping passes, not getting open, running wrong routes, they weren't blocking, there was no run game ,there was no defense. hmm right knock the qb...typical casual fan remarks.​
This was an entire team but you chose to knock one player, you tried to sideswipe it and just throw it in there trying to be cute, it's not cute because it's not true...​
You can't play quarterback by yourself our team has had many games in the playoffs over the last two decades where Tony Romo and Prescott has had no help whatsoever and yet this place seems to think that they should win games by themselves...​
This last game let's just stay there, I don't care how well Prescott & the offense would have played, it would have been a total shootout and they probably would have lost anyway. that d was bad series 1 to the last snap. ie like the other 5 losses and the win with Seatle..just bad d...​
so you're saying your expectations from the quarterback in a playoff game against playoff caliber teams when the rest of the team don't show up you should try really hard to win 40 to 38 even though you have no help?? hmm causl fan take..​
because that's exactly what it would have took but you look over at Lamar Jackson and his team gave up three points in the first game they gave up seventeen points in the first half but they pitched the damn shut out in the second-half and they lost that game..... you show me games like that that Prescott loses when they have the top offensive rushing team and the top defense and then they give the accolades to MVP to the quarterback they can't score more than 10 points and we're talking about Prescott that dude makes money too and he's only won two games in his playoff career...​

Let's just stick with this last playoff series for the entire NFL, go look around look at those defenses, they all played well in the big moments, they made stops let's stick with the lions and 49ers game started out exactly the same right got down big in the first half same as the Dallas Cowboys but they didn't blame their offense, they didn't claim they were tired, they didn't give up their defense made enough stops in the second-half to allow their team their offense to get going and catch up and win that game..​
ours gave up 21 straight points out of halftime and all you can remember is Prescott you're saying he can't throw the football and look who's throwing to them and yet they had a career year I'm still right even if we just keep the regular season involved you're talking about Brandon cooks not eating not getting targeted and maybe not catching the ball because of who is quarterback is even though the quarterback was one of the best quarterbacks in the league this year you had to take your shot and now I'm taking mine that is a clown show type take on team football and that is why some of us in here have to be the voice of reason sometimes and you're ridiculous in making that statement so I'm saying it again....​

Loso86

Reaction score
The guys had a terrific career but after a down year in 22 the Texans decided to move on. While relatively cheap for a guy putting up 1000+ yards i'm not sure he's that guy anymore and or maybe not the best fit for what Dak likes in a receiver. Maybe his role will grow in his second year here what do yall think?

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
REC
Total receptions
YDS
Receiving yards
AVG
Receiving yards per reception
LNG
Longest reception
TD
Receiving touchdowns
YDS
Rushing yards
AVG
Average yards per carry
2023Cowboys5465712.2378357.0
2022Texans5769912.344373.5
When targeted like he was the second half yes he makes plays. Waaaaaay more than 13

ghst187

Reaction score
10m for Cooks is honestly a bargain and no brainer to keep. He’s a legit #2. Gallup is also a no-brainer cut as not even close to worth it. At this point, a draft pick or UDFA or Cedrick Wilson would be a vastly cheaper option for the same production

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10m for Cooks is honestly a bargain and no brainer to keep. He’s a legit #2. Gallup is also a no-brainer cut as not even close to worth it. At this point, a draft pick or UDFA or Cedrick Wilson would be a vastly cheaper option for the same production
I'm interesting in how much Wilson will be looking for.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The guys had a terrific career but after a down year in 22 the Texans decided to move on. While relatively cheap for a guy putting up 1000+ yards i'm not sure he's that guy anymore and or maybe not the best fit for what Dak likes in a receiver. Maybe his role will grow in his second year here what do yall think?

Career stats
Year
Year
Team
Team
REC
Total receptions
YDS
Receiving yards
AVG
Receiving yards per reception
LNG
Longest reception
TD
Receiving touchdowns
YDS
Rushing yards
AVG
Average yards per carry
2023Cowboys5465712.2378357.0
2022Texans5769912.344373.5
He's what somewhere around the 27th,28th highest paid receiver in the NFL? He got off to a slow start, but once he and Dak got on the same page he made good contributions. I think he can still be an 800+ yard receiver with enough targets, but last year he was really the 3rd option in the offense. Would say he's worth it, can't say the same for Gallup.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I know this is gonna end up on our site somehow and a bunch of Cowboys fans are gonna say we should have went after Jerry Judy I remember it at the trade deadline last year This is why you keep raining cooks they just gave a fifth and sixth round draft pick for a guy that's due around $6 million and he averages about 750 yards a year but he only has 11 total touchdowns and Four Seasons... Brandon cooks can get 750 yards if he's used from the first game to the last and he had eight touchdowns his first year in this offense that's just three off Jerry judy's career in four years that is why he's worth keeping please don't say Judy has a higher upside he is what he is he may be a little younger but I mean this is what you get for a #2...

RonWashington

Reaction score
Cooks is certainly worth it . Who breaks into the top 2 targets if you get rid of Cooks. Tolbert is still “ finding his way “ and Gallup is bigger salary cap hit . I want the Cooks and the Gilmores of this roster back in 24 .

Tyron Smith save your $ find his replacement in the draft put Tyler at LT a high pick at RT and “ Here we Go !! I’m available at the right price to advise this FO . I can fill the void Bob Ackles left .

Cowboys93

Reaction score
You keep him simply for the fact that the cowboys haven’t been able to actually develop a drafted WR (sans CeeDee) since Gallup. See a bunch of lower round dudes contributing around the league for a supposedly saturated position but not here at all lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cooks is certainly worth it . Who breaks into the top 2 targets if you get rid of Cooks. Tolbert is still “ finding his way “ and Gallup is bigger salary cap hit . I want the Cooks and the Gilmores of this roster back in 24 .

Tyron Smith save your $ find his replacement in the draft put Tyler at LT a high pick at RT and “ Here we Go !! I’m available at the right price to advise this FO . I can fill the void Bob Ackles left .
No, you're pretty much fired that's not working out they're not getting rid of Terrence steel he's gonna be fine after this offseason he got better and stronger every game last year and he'll be a lot better this year they're not eating that there is no high ticket right tackle

and while I'm moving on from tyron and possibly sliding out Tyler you have guys on this team in bath and Hoffman they're probably both gonna be starters on this team this year if Tyler be honest also walks you're forgetting about that so right now everything's in limbo we don't need to worry about the draft right now or what we need in the draft because free agency will be starting this week we'll find out who's available who's not who's gone who's staying we have none of that data right now so there's no way to to even figure out our needs at least for another 10 days probably...

In my opinion there's also other guys on this team that could be developed into a right or left tackle in Richards and they're also working hoping this year Wally stays healthy I mean you can't have Pro Bowl starters first team all pros and all five positions on the offensive line and I believe this place thinks that's how it works.... In my opinion Hoffman and bass or at least as good as Connor McGovern and Connor Williams and they seem to have settled in on other teams yet our fan base wanted to get rid of them as fast as possible...

Sort of stay up with the salary cap and whatnot I believe they're gonna try to develop one or both those guys and I think they both played pretty well in spot duty and if they just become solid players that's what you're looking for which I also found this on because I pointed this out during the year the games where both of them started in Arizona and then the last game we're baths and Hoffman were on the field it seemed like we ran the ball better those are some of the best run producing games we've had this year maybe they have a thicker body lower body more power I don't know they may need some more work but there are guys on this team they've been drafting players they brought in other players for this very reason they may not turn out to be pro bowlers but guys like Doug free who people didn't like around here and again Connor Williams Connor McGovern you can develop a solid group together along with a couple of the pro bowlers that are already on the team in Zach Martin and Tyler Smith..​
I'm not saying they won't draft a guy but they sure got a lot of young guys on this team they could develop with the right scheme and coaching and a better running back to fit this scheme that we settle on I think we're going to be fine everyone's taking this tyrone's leaving is and some of the change this is what teams have to go through...

In my opinion as far as the offense goes we don't have to make a lot of changes draft or free agency other than getting a better running back room we could have the pieces already here what I'm worried about is more on the defense we need some studs up the middle at defensive tackle and linebacker those would be the key three areas we need to be looking at in the coming weeks and the draft....

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

This

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Yes, the offense was designed around Lamb being the #1 target on most plays, which is why he played every position. To do that, you have to have another threat. That was Cooks. He was especially effective in the red zone. If we can muster any type run game threat this year, you will see that providing more opportunities for receivers not named Lamb.

Cmac

Reaction score
Gallup and Tolbert are two of the worst WRs in the NFL, on the roster largely because of the Cowboys investment in them and inability to understand sunk costs.
.....add the 5'8 WR running slants and over the middle routes instead of being a slot WR. Setting the offense and Dak up for more failure.