Is Brandin Cooks worth $10 million?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Look at how the offense functioned before and after he showed up. Statistics don't tell the whole story. His presence takes pressure off of Lamb and allows him to do what he did this season. If the plan is to dump his salary, the team better have a strong replacement plan. Otherwise there will be virtual riots when our $60m QB struggles again. We've already played this game.
He was added in the offseason and played 16 games for the Cowboys so i'm not sure what you mean by before and after he got here comment. If you are alluding to the trash offensive performance the 1st 5 games, that was McCarthy's trash-coast offensive style. Then he finally opened things up and they played much better the rest of the year mostly.

jwitten82

Reaction score
They got him going late but I mean with Lamb and Ferguson his role cant grow.

He’s interesting. All I heard about was his speed and he’s still fast but I didn’t see game breaker speed.

However, he plays like he’s 6’6. Didn’t expect that. Plus him and Dak were money in the red zone. He’s still a good player. We need him. Would be nice if he was our 3rd best receiver though.
Money in the Red zone? In what world, he had 6 tds in the red zone, good but not money

stiletto

Reaction score
Cooks was worth it the second half of the season, I'd be willing to give him another year. Gallup on the other hand has not been worth any part of his contract. Total bust which is sad. I liked Gallup but that knee killed his career. He was never the same guy.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think so, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we need to reevaluate what big money is in the NFL these days. Moving on from Cooks only saves you $4M. Zach Ertz on the tail end of his career just signed a deal for up to $5M. Probably a lot more upside in keeping Cooks and hoping he improves going into year 2 in this system rather than having an extra $4M to spend on lower tier free agents.
OTC says they'd save 8million this year as a june 1st cut. Wouldn't be worth cutting to only save 4million to that I agree.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Cooks was worth it the second half of the season, I'd be willing to give him another year. Gallup on the other hand has not been worth any part of his contract. Total bust which is sad. I liked Gallup but that knee killed his career. He was never the same guy.
People are really overrating his second half. So to answer this thread question, no I don't think he's worth it. Cooks had two great games against the the Giants and Washington, after that his next best game was 5 catches for 60 yards, and the rest of the season he never caught more than 4 passes or never had 50 or more receiving yards after

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
it was really just rhetorical....I wouldn't have extended him coming off an injury and trading Cooper instead of extending him was a massive mistake by this organization..
I mean I’ve argued it all year. At the time I had no issue I thought he’d return to form. Also had no issue moving away from Cooper who just like the rest of the team didn’t show up in big games. Think the right move was to leave both Coop and Gallup alone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
People are really overrating his second half. So to answer this thread question, no I don't think he's worth it. Cooks had two great games against the the Giants and Washington, after that his next best game was 5 catches for 60 yards, and the rest of the season he never caught more than 4 passes or never had 50 or more receiving yards after
His lack of plays made didn’t seem to be a reflection of him though. Gallup I can say that. Cooks made plays when he was called upon.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I mean I’ve argued it all year. At the time I had no issue I thought he’d return to form. Also had no issue moving away from Cooper who just like the rest of the team didn’t show up in big games. Think the right move was to leave both Coop and Gallup alone.
Exactly,

I can get on board with that point of view..

everyone here that thinks it was a mistake cutting a $22 million player are the hypocrites in here saying that that kind of production by cooks has a #2 is it worth 10 million that is what Amari Cooper was on the way to Dewey he was going to be the number 2 because CD lamb was on the come up on a rookie contract he was going to be the number one guy and you can't pay $22 million for number two production but you can pay $10 million for number two production... thats coops 2021 numbers id say we can get thast from Cooks and for 40% of coops salary..​
The problem is teams usually don't cut two of what they think are productive players at the same position in the same year or even on the same side of the ball.. They chose to save money on the salary cap and get a fifth round pick and let's not all argue that either because the reason we got Brandon cooks and Gilmore the same reasons that Hawkins and dalvin cook end up on the street for no draft picks is because that's what happens to veterans sometimes with bigger contracts they either get low picks for them or they get cut off the team....​

That whole theory we got robbed is nonsense we would have had to eat some of his contract to get a better draft pick that's just the business of the NFL and amari Cooper is better off in Cleveland as the number one because he can put up good numbers as the primary target but that would have been a waste like it was his last year here..

The writing was on the wall and at very least we got a fifth round pick and save salary cap money, they took on his whole cap hit which by the way Hopkins got outright released, Thomas being outright released, so in that instance we got the better deal we saved money and got a fifth, a fifth round picks better than nothing.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
His base salary is 8 million for 1 year. Definitely worth it. Stop including money that has already been spent. Eye on the prize people.

John813

Reaction score
I think if they want to keep him they'll extend him on a short deal for additional savings.
He's 31, coming off an "down" year.

If cut, there's only 4mil in savings, if they want to designate it as a pre-June 1st deal.
And with Gallup being ***, would make sense to keep a veteran who has shown he can make some plays when the ball goes his way.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I think if they want to keep him they'll extend him on a short deal for additional savings.
He's 31, coming off an "down" year.
Yes god forbid we pay for his salary in this years cap. We are all in after all. Gotta take full advantage of prime Dak. Dead money gobble gobble.

aikemirv

Reaction score
He is easily worth 10 million in todays WR money. The questions is could you hit on a 3rd-4th rounder in the draft and replace him.