Is coaching overrated?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You tell us. We went 8-8 last year and our 2nd and 3rd tier free agents are being signed to big time deals. Seems like people want our talent.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Nope.
Nope
Hell nah
200.gif

cowboyec

Reaction score
i knew that whole ANYBODY BUT GARRETT wasn't really a thing.

i for one EMBRACE this McCarthy Era...with both arms.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Game day coaching is massively overrated for most coaches. Though there are exceptions, Belichick being the most obvious of them.

In general, coaching is hugely important. But most of the impact happens the other six days of the week.
Game day coaching was extremely important for the last 3 teams that won Superbowl: Reed, Belicheat, and especially Philly’s coach made smart in game decisions throughout those
Superbowls.

You were a huge Garrett fan, so I can see you saying in game coaching is not very important. Garrett cost us a game or 2 every year with his lame in game coaching/non coaching! With Garrett we never really had hope of winning a Super Bowl. We do now!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Game day coaching was extremely important for the last 3 teams that won Superbowl: Reed, Belicheat, and especially Philly’s coach made smart in game decisions throughout those
Superbowls.

You were a huge Garrett fan, so I can see you saying in game coaching is not very important. Garrett cost us a game or 2 every year with his lame in game coaching/non coaching! With Garrett we never really had hope of winning a Super Bowl. We do now!

Agree to disagree. When you win a Superbowl, your coach has done everything right by definition. But Andy Reid has forever been “a really good coach who couldn’t win in the playoffs.” He won this year because he now has the best QB in the league.

Pederson is a solid coach who likes to go for it on 4th downs, nothing more. He’s not a special game day coach the way Belichick is, and Howie Roseman was the wizard behind their championship.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Game day coaching is massively overrated for most coaches. Though there are exceptions, Belichick being the most obvious of them.

In general, coaching is hugely important. But most of the impact happens the other six days of the week.
It was rocket science for Garrett

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we are going to find out this year with Bellichik and Brady split.
Mcarthy not getting any help from free agency from Cowboys front office. He cannot make chicken salad out of chicken ship.
You can NOT make that determination based on 1 year.

Look at the 49ers and Rams getting to the Super Bowl in recent years. Neither of those teams had over-whelming talent. Both had previous years with more talented rosters but worse results with different coaching staffs.

The Pats have had many strong defensive seasons with average overall defensive talent.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Not really, if you look at the team’s performance, but I know it was really fun for you guys to pretend it was, so who am I to argue?
Lol, yea, his halftime adjustments normally entailed stop doing what was working in the first half but continue doing what wasn't.

mardwin

Reaction score
Romo with a real coach would have been something special.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we are going to find out this year with Bellichik and Brady split.
Mcarthy not getting any help from free agency from Cowboys front office. He cannot make chicken salad out of chicken ship.
With the talent levels across the league being relatively close (especially compared to college FB) good coaching in the NFL is at an absolute premium. Sadly our owner has never seemed to fully appreciate this truth.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Overrated? OP, is this coaching staff rated at all before it's done anything? Give them a chance to do something before you so willingly tear them down. :rolleyes:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol, yea, his halftime adjustments normally entailed stop doing what was working in the first half but continue doing what wasn't.

Teams don’t really make halftime adjustments. They’re adjusting throughout the game between plays and series now.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Teams don’t really make halftime adjustments. They’re adjusting throughout the game between plays and series now.
He sucked at doing that too.....and you're wrong about about halftime adjustments, you see it every game.