Is coaching overrated?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You go back and watch the Atlanta game. Our backup LT was getting beat like a drum on every play. Garrett and Linehan made no adjustments( TE chipping, back chipping, etc) until the 4th quarter when the game was over. They let 1 player destroy our offense. Garrett should have been fired right after that game.
They didn’t do a good job adjusting in that situation. Assuming there was a better answer.

I’d also argue our backup did an awful job and Dak didn’t help the situation either.

It was a horrid sequence . But one game or even a couple bad games or calls shouldn’t define a career. Anymore than a fumble on a snap or an interception to end a season should define a career.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’re fixing to find out how great Belichick is or if it becomes more like with the Browns.

Bill is the greatest defensive guru of this era but it’s been a perfect storm with Brady. Greatest HC/ QB of all time.

My hunch is the Dynasty in New England is over.

And it’s probably over for Brady too. I guess he wanted another 30 million before he has his legs taken from under him. Some guys just don’t know when to walk away.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Lol, yea, his halftime adjustments normally entailed stop doing what was working in the first half but continue doing what wasn't.

That was just about the only kind of in-game adjustments he made.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Remember how Garrett adjusted during the Atlanta game when a journey man DE sacked Dak 61/2 times, and single handedly wrecked that game for our offense. Oh that’s right, he adjusted late in the 4th quarter when the game was over and Dak was shell shocked.

Dumbest coaching ever, well besides the time he iced his own kicker.

Garrett was a clapping Buffon on the sidelines and lasted 10 years because he is Jerry’s stepson.

Oh that was DEFINITELY one of his highlights!!

aria

Reaction score
Reality check incoming! JG took a lot of blame and this roster has been completely over rated IMO. Can’t wait to see the excuses when MM doesn’t have a HOF QB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought he was your favorite coach because of the way you stuck up for him ALL the time. Who is your favorite coach?

Cowboys coach? Probably Landry, because of his innovations. Then Jimmy.

The only reason I stick up for JG so much is because so much of the criticism of him was off-base. There were reasons to be critical of him, all along though.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You go back and watch the Atlanta game. Our backup LT was getting beat like a drum on every play. Garrett and Linehan made no adjustments( TE chipping, back chipping, etc) until the 4th quarter when the game was over. They let 1 player destroy our offense. Garrett should have been fired right after that game.

With ya Cap! That was one of the most sickening displays of coaching stupidity I have ever seen.
Chaz Green was a swinging door at LT, and it was a contest to see whose performance was worse, Chaz Green's or Jason Garrett's.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
They didn’t do a good job adjusting in that situation. Assuming there was a better answer.

I’d also argue our backup did an awful job and Dak didn’t help the situation either.

It was a horrid sequence . But one game or even a couple bad games or calls shouldn’t define a career. Anymore than a fumble on a snap or an interception to end a season should define a career.

"They didn't do a good job adjusting in that situation"?? Chaz Green stunk, Dak was getting killed, and Garrett was utterly BLIND!
There was absolutely no excuse whatsoever for Garrett's performance.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"They didn't do a good job adjusting in that situation"?? Chaz Green stunk, Dak was getting killed, and Garrett was utterly BLIND!
I think we all would agree.
What would you have done differently assuming there was a solution ?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I think we all would agree.
What would you have done differently assuming there was a solution ?
If course there was a solution. Are you kidding me? When we had Charles Hailey other teams used to chip him all game long. I remember one play specifically. A TE chipped him right at the snap, then the back and tackle mauled him for the rest of the play. Chipping is not complicated and your TE or back can still be a viable receiver after the chip.

There were many things Garrett could have done SO one player would not have ruined our offense and caused Dak to be shell shocked for basically the rest of the season.

Like I said Garrett should have been fired after this game. Dumbest coaching ever!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
There was absolutely no excuse whatsoever for Garrett's performance.
Exactly!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
With ya Cap! That was one of the most sickening displays of coaching stupidity I have ever seen.
Chaz Green was a swinging door at LT, and it was a contest to see whose performance was worse, Chaz Green's or Jason Garrett's.
I would say Green’s performance was one of the worst displays of offensive tackle play in NFL history AND Garrett’s coaching performance was the WORST! I was yelling at the TV the whole friggin game, “ help Green “, but it never came until the game was basically over.

During the heat of the game some fans, dumb fans, might have given Garrett a pass during the 1st half, but when there were no adjustments at halftime it was completely inexcusable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If course there was a solution. Are you kidding me? When we had Charles Hailey other teams used to chip him all game long. I remember one play specifically. A TE chipped him right at the snap, then the back and tackle mauled him for the rest of the play. Chipping is not complicated and your TE or back can still be a viable receiver after the chip.

There were many things Garrett could have done SO one player would not have ruined our offense and caused Dak to be shell shocked for basically the rest of the season.

Like I said Garrett should have been fired after this game. Dumbest coaching ever!
You really believe we had any chance of winning that game ?