Is coaching overrated?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mcarthy not getting any help from free agency from Cowboys front office. He cannot make chicken salad out of chicken ship.
Is coaching overrated? Didn't the Cowboys just replace Garrett only 2 months ago???

McCarthy not getting any help??? WHAT??? It's March 17th!!! Overreaction time I guess.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We just saw 2 of the very best Xs and Os guys in the Super Bowl...

Of course it’s important.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I think we are going to find out this year with Bellichik and Brady split.
Mcarthy not getting any help from free agency from Cowboys front office. He cannot make chicken salad out of chicken ship.

You must've not lived through Switzer, Gaily, Campo, Wade ,Garrett to ask that question >.>

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think we are going to find out this year with Bellichik and Brady split.

ask Atlanta fans what they think about Nolan and his coaching.

8)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Game day coaching is massively overrated for most coaches. Though there are exceptions, Belichick being the most obvious of them.

In general, coaching is hugely important. But most of the impact happens the other six days of the week.
Right!

Talent wins on Game Day with few exceptions.
We call them upsets.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Agree to disagree. When you win a Superbowl, your coach has done everything right by definition. But Andy Reid has forever been “a really good coach who couldn’t win in the playoffs.” He won this year because he now has the best QB in the league.

Pederson is a solid coach who likes to go for it on 4th downs, nothing more. He’s not a special game day coach the way Belichick is, and Howie Roseman was the wizard behind their championship.
And why did your favorite coach, Garrett, with very talented teams, never come close to their success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And why did your favorite coach, Garrett, with very talented teams, never come close to their success.
For one he wasn’t a great coach. And the talent was over hyped. I thought they came very close to their success on several occasions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I answered that up above. Or in a very recent post you can find in my history. The same answer I always give to that question.

And Garrett wasn’t my favorite coach, for the record. That’s the kind of exaggeration people have to drag out when they don’t have a counter argument that can stand on merit.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He sucked at doing that too.....and you're wrong about about halftime adjustments, you see it every game.
Remember how Garrett adjusted during the Atlanta game when a journey man DE sacked Dak 61/2 times, and single handedly wrecked that game for our offense. Oh that’s right, he adjusted late in the 4th quarter when the game was over and Dak was shell shocked.

Dumbest coaching ever, well besides the time he iced his own kicker.

Garrett was a clapping Buffon on the sidelines and lasted 10 years because he is Jerry’s stepson.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I answered that up above. Or in a very recent post you can find in my history. The same answer I always give to that question.

And Garrett wasn’t my favorite coach, for the record. That’s the kind of exaggeration people have to drag out when they don’t have a counter argument that can stand on merit.
It’s just another attempt to discredit or belittle you as their argument weakens or challenged.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

I thought he was your favorite coach because of the way you stuck up for him ALL the time. Who is your favorite coach?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Remember how Garrett adjusted during the Atlanta game when a journey man DE sacked Dak 61/2 times, and single handedly wrecked that game for our offense. Oh that’s right, he adjusted late in the 4th quarter when the game was over and Dak was shell shocked.

Dumbest coaching ever, well besides the time he iced his own kicker.

Garrett was a clapping Buffon on the sidelines and lasted 10 years because he is Jerry’s stepson.
Those are the same trolling type points we saw on Romo’s fumbling bumbling antics.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My favorite Cowboy coaches were Tom and Jimmy who both struggled early and late in their careers when they didn’t have as much talent.

Ask any HC what separates great teams from average and poor teams.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
It’s just another attempt to discredit or belittle you as their argument weakens or challenged.
I don’t mean to belittle anyone, but Garrett never came close taking advantage of the talent he had. At least a couple times they should have made it to the NFC Championship game with the talent they had, IF they had an above average coach. Garrett was mediocre at best. Mr. 8-8. Mr. beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams, especially in big late season games.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Those are the same trolling type points we saw on Romo’s fumbling bumbling antics.
You go back and watch the Atlanta game. Our backup LT was getting beat like a drum on every play. Garrett and Linehan made no adjustments( TE chipping, back chipping, etc) until the 4th quarter when the game was over. They let 1 player destroy our offense. Garrett should have been fired right after that game.

cern

Reaction score
This is a trick question, is it not. Of course coaching matters. Ludicrous to think otherwise.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t mean to belittle anyone, but Garrett never came close taking advantage of the talent he had. At least a couple times they should have made it to the NFC Championship game with the talent they had, IF they had an above average coach. Garrett was mediocre at best. Mr. 8-8. Mr. beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams, especially in big late season games.
They came very close to reaching a championship game on a couple of occasions.

Beating bad teams and losing to good teams clearly represents we weren’t as good as the better teams time and time again. Which IMO speaks more about an over hyped talent than poor coaching.

It’s purely a speculative point of view that we should have advanced further. Yes, we had an excellent opportunity. No doubt.

Much like Landry had great opportunities to go to 10 or more Super Bowls. And with much more tainted teams. Many good teams simply aren’t good enough as they lose to better teams.