Is Cobb an upgrade over Beasley?

stinkface

Reaction score
Bease has a stop and go and change of direction skill that few can match. He also has great hands. He was also on the field almost all the time. If he had gone to the Patriots he would have put up 75 plus receptions.

PS. Unfortunately he has gone to a club who has an inaccurate QB and who plays games in the snow belt. He will most likely not play out his contract there and his numbers will be overall down as compared to here.

Techsass

Reaction score
I thought I would share longtime Journal Sentinel reporter for the Packers comments on Randall Cobb. Here is a snippet from todays article.

"
Cobb’s production waned over the last four seasons. His hands deserted him in 2015 (14 drops), he lost the ability to separate vertically and slot defenders were able to cover him much tighter than earlier when his quickness was world-class.

“His legs are dead,” an AFC personnel man said earlier in the month. “He doesn’t have the quickness or the explosion that he once had. He could still catch 40 or 50 (passes).”

As a Packer fan I can tell you I wanted the Packers to re-sign him but more out of sentimentality that production. His past two years have not been kind to him. Maybe Dallas will have a better training staff and can keep him healthy. I know that was such a big issue the past couple of years. The Packers need a slot receiver in the worse way so Packers letting him walk was more an indictment on not being able to count on him and when he played he was not as producive as he wants one.

But I hope he finds the magic again and gets healthy. He is such a good guy.
Ouch

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And wayyyyyyyy less explosive and worse route running

Explosive is not an appropriate description of Beasley, He’s quick, and can cut on a dime, but he is not remotely an explosive guy who blows past people or is a threat to take it to the house. Cobb has much more of that ability.

As for route running, Cobb may not be quite as good as Beasley, but he is considered a very good route runner, so the discrepancy is not nearly what you make it out to be.

The key for Cobb is health. He has not been as healthy in recent years as Beasley.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If healthy yes if not no. A big IF based on the last couple seasons. Had he not been coming off an injury plagued season with hamstring issues he’d have been paid more than cole.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Explosive is not an appropriate description of Beasley, He’s quick, and can cut on a dime, but he is not remotely an explosive guy who blows past people or is a threat to take it to the house. Cobb has much more of that ability.

As for route running, Cobb may not be quite as good as Beasley, but he is considered a very good route runner, so the discrepancy is not nearly what you make it out to be.

The key for Cobb is health. He has not been as healthy in recent years as Beasley.
Bursting out of cuts is explosiveness.
Taking it to the house is long speed.

As I said Beasley is much more explosive

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Randall Cobb 8/22/90 5-10 192
2018 Green Bay Packers 9 6 38 383 10.1 75T 2
2017 Green Bay Packers 15 14 66 653 9.9 46 4
2016 Green Bay Packers 13 10 60 610 10.2 47 4
2015 Green Bay Packers 16 15 79 829 10.5 53T 6
2014 Green Bay Packers 16 16 91 1,287 14.1 70T 1
2013 Green Bay Packers 6 4 31 433 14.0 48T 4
2012 Green Bay Packers 15 8 80 954 11.9 39T 8
2011 Green Bay Packers 15 0 25 375 15.0 61 1

Cole Beasley 4/26/89 5-8 180
2018 Dallas Cowboys 16 4 65 672 10.3 32T 3
2017 Dallas Cowboys 15 4 36 314 8.7 54 4
2016 Dallas Cowboys 16 6 75 833 11.1 47 5
2015 Dallas Cowboys 16 3 52 536 10.3 30 5
2014 Dallas Cowboys 16 2 37 420 11.4 45T
2013 Dallas Cowboys 14 3 39 368 9.4 23 2
2012 Dallas Cowboys 10 0 15 128 8.5 20 0

Looking at that I’ll take Cobb any day over Beas.

boysfaninMI

Reaction score

I think Cobb is more 'explosive' in terms of big plays and taking it to the house. But make no mistake, Cole was a matchup nightmare for many times. Damn waterbug between the 20's and he'll be missed IMO. But the Bills were being.......the BILLS and overpaid the crap outta him. Not much we could do there. I'd like to see another kid drafted in the later rounds or UFA to fill the depth. Plus, it might be insurance if/when Cobb gets hurt again. I like Cobb, but dislike his injuries. Then again, I do think we got the best of Cole's years in this league. He's gonna get punished in Buffalo's crappy O. Will see him on the injured list a few times next season too although I hope I'm wrong.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Good point. Doesn't matter that Cobb isn't that great outside IMO. He can take a CB away to cover him and Coop can wreak havoc in the slot 4-5 times per game hopefully.

Much rather have someone like him than someone that just stays in the slot, Heck even J. Elideman lines up wide sometimes, something the beas can't do.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Cobb got to play in an offense that was slot wr friendly. Gb used rub routes, pick plays, wr screens, bunch formations and had a qb w pinpoint accuracy. He may have better racs then #11 but hes not that versatile at playing outside. Lol. The Cowboys dont rotate wrs around like people are claiming so its irrelevant.

Beasely was a spot played role player used for moving the chains not for scoring points. He coulda caught 100 balls some years but he didnt get full time snaps.

Its a wash at best.

We should probably be more concerned about our 33 catch 2td a year #2 wr who wont come off the field as the #2wr or this entire te core of scrubs who only scored in 2 football games.

If any team can turn a te or slot wr into a scrub its the Dallas Cowboys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He doesn’t burst out of cuts, he just doesn’t lose speed when he makes cuts. Again, that’s quickness, not explosiveness. Explosivenessis would be an added burst - an extra gear. Beasley’s skill is making sharp cuts to temporarily gain separation, not kicking in an extra gear.

And, again, Cobb is not the poor route runner with no explosiveness that you want to portray. He is just a guy that had health problems last year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is there a bet opportunity here?
I say Cobb doesnt hit Beasley's 2018 production

I'm not saying Cobb will hit Beasley's 2018 production but I am saying he's very capable of hitting it and exceeding it depending on his health and if Kellen Moore proves to be a solid OC. The biggest concern with Cobb is injuries. He's had hamstring and concussion issues which can become chronic. If healthy he may not reach Beasley's total number of catches/targets from 2018 because we're much better at receiver than we were the first half of last season. Last year there was no Dez, Witten or Twill. We had two inexperienced TE's and a rookie WR in Gallop. Thompson and Hurns were busts at the #1 WR position, which prompted the trade for Cooper so we had to rely on Beasley a lot. He was Dak's safety valve. With Cooper having a full offseason with the team and Gallop entering his second season and with Witten back in the fold we're not going to have to rely on Cobb like we did Beasley last year.

Some here are saying Cobb won't produce because Dak isn't Aaron Rodgers but Dak doesn't have to be Aaron Rodgers for Cobb to have a productive season. Dak going into his 4th season should be better but a lot will come down to Kellen Moore as an OC. If he sucks as OC then even Cooper will have a tough time reaching the numbers he did last season. Our offense could get worse if the OC job proves too big for Moore. You have to figure the Cowboys will attempt to go down the field more to create more big plays in 2019. Cobb can create chunk plays with his run after catch ability. He can get behind defenders and run past them which is why his TD numbers are much bigger than Beasley's. As for Beasley, good luck with him producing the numbers he did last season in Buffalo with a young QB who wasn't very impressive last season.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He is definitely an upgrade over Beasley when healthy. Can do more than Beasley. Beasley wasn’t a deep threat and wasn’t a great blocker. Cobb can come in and provide us with both if he can stay healthy anddddd training camp hamstring here we come lol

Kaiser

Reaction score
PS. Unfortunately he has gone to a club who has an inaccurate QB and who plays games in the snow belt. He will most likely not play out his contract there and his numbers will be overall down as compared to here.

Exactly, that is proof he didn't want to return and proof the Cowboys didn't want him back.

I'm sure they would have taken him back if it was a TWill situation where he had no FA and came back cheap, but they made no serious attempt to sign him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He is definitely an upgrade over Beasley when healthy. Can do more than Beasley. Beasley wasn’t a deep threat and wasn’t a great blocker. Cobb can come in and provide us with both if he can stay healthy anddddd training camp hamstring here we come lol

He's definitely a downgrade, when he's healthy.