Is Cobb an upgrade over Beasley?

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Doesn’t matter if the gameplan is dookie...Zeke and Cooper will be the only ones worth the money then.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cobb could end up being a big upgrade over Beasley if he's available for all 16 games in 2019. Cobb is bigger, faster and younger than Beasley. He's scored almost twice as many TD's as Beasley because he can break tackles and is a much better run after the catch receiver. Cobb can turn a short pass into a 50 yard TD. Even in a down season in 2018 where he only played in 9 games he had 9 catches for 142 yards against the Bears in the opener including a 75 yard TD. Granted he's played with Aaron Rodgers but in 2017 with Rodgers missing a bulk of that season, Cobb still put up 66 catches for almost 700 yards and 4 TD's. Beasley is quicker/shiftier but Cobb provides more big play potential. The 2018 season was a down year for him but it was a down year for the Packers and Cobb only played 9 games. Beasley was more coveted in free agency because he had a better year and was playing for a better team that made the playoffs, plus that great catch he made against the Giants in the season finale on 4th down helped elevate his stock.

I like Cobb's chances of having a more productive 2019 season for the Cowboys health permitting than I do Beasley having a real productive season with the Jets, having to endure the growing pains of a young QB. Cobb could very easily exceed Beasley's 2018 production with Cooper in the mix and Witten back in the fold, assuming he still has something left. Can't see how anyone can't like the signing of Cobb to go along with Cooper, Gallop, Witten and Zeke who put up a franchise record 77 receptions last season. Our receiving corp looks a hell of a lot better now than it did at this time last year. If Cobb can stay healthy he could end up being one of the better free agent signings the Cowboys have had in a while.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Cobb could end up being a big upgrade over Beasley if he's available for all 16 games in 2019. Cobb is bigger, faster and younger than Beasley. He's scored almost twice as many TD's as Beasley because he can break tackles and is a much better run after the catch receiver. Cobb can turn a short pass into a 50 yard TD. Even in a down season in 2018 where he only played in 9 games he had 9 catches for 142 yards against the Bears in the opener including a 75 yard TD. Granted he's played with Aaron Rodgers but in 2017 with Rodgers missing a bulk of that season, Cobb still put up 66 catches for almost 700 yards and 4 TD's. Beasley is quicker/shiftier but Cobb provides more big play potential. The 2018 season was a down year for him but it was a down year for the Packers and Cobb only played 9 games. Beasley was more coveted in free agency because he had a better year and was playing for a better team that made the playoffs, plus that great catch he made against the Giants in the season finale on 4th down helped elevate his stock.

I like Cobb's chances of having a more productive 2019 season for the Cowboys health permitting than I do Beasley having a real productive season with the Jets, having to endure the growing pains of a young QB. Cobb could very easily exceed Beasley's 2018 production with Cooper in the mix and Witten back in the fold, assuming he still has something left. Can't see how anyone can't like the signing of Cobb to go along with Cooper, Gallop, Witten and Zeke who put up a franchise record 77 receptions last season. Our receiving corp looks a hell of a lot better now than it did at this time last year. If Cobb can stay healthy he could end up being one of the better free agent signings the Cowboys have had in a while.

This, look I like Beas but let's not get it twisted that he was J. Edlinman all of a sudden here. For his price tag he is very replaceable.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This, look I like Beas but let's not get it twisted that he was J. Edlinman all of a sudden here. For his price tag he is very replaceable.

After Beasley's down year in 2017 in which he played 15 games most on this board were ready to move on from him. Had he been a FA after that season he wouldn't have got the money he did this year after bouncing back. Cobb had a down year last season but he only played in 9 games and still had a better season than Beasley did in 2017. Cobb had a huge game in the opener last season against the Bears. That may have been the only game in 2018 where he was 100% healthy. The guy is only 28 years old so I'm not buying this crap some are spewing here about him being washed up. With what we have at the skill positions he could make a sizable impact if he can stay healthy and Kellen Moore is worth anything as an OC.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cobb is an upgrade over Beasley but Dak is a downgrade from Aaron Rodgers so I don't think we are getting the slot WR numbers out of Cobb that we want to.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Average Yards of separation per route in 2018

Beasley 2.9
Cobb 2.9

Average yards after the catch 2018

Beasley 3.4
Cobb 6.5

Average targeted air yards 2018

Beasley 7.4
Cobb 8.2

Hadenough

Reaction score
There aren't 5 players in the league better at beating man coverage out of the slot than Beasley so, no, Cobb isn't an upgrade.

He might allow them to do some different things b/c he's more flexible though.
Bingo! This is a downgrade in talent. Yes Beasley probably isnt worth what he got paid but right now when you talk talent Beasley is better. Can you imagine Beasleys numbers if he played with Rodgers. Rodgers accuracy would make Beasley a serious deep threat. How many times have we seen Beasley beat his man deep only to be missed by Dak and Romo.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If you were to ask Brady and Belichick who they would rather have right now. I guarantee you they would look at each other and laugh and say Beasley hands down.
Beasley is good slot WR and he would be even better if he had a QB that put the ball in his hands without him having to break stride. If he guy can get open short then he surely can get open deep just run down field and make your move. He has 4.4 speed and gets open when he plays outside WR but the QB always seems to miss him because his catch radius is smaller than a big WR along with a QB who isnt very accurate. Dont ever think Beasley cant play outside!
People dont realize Cobb was a RB when drafted. He was more of a tweener / scat back.

Scotman

Reaction score
We are going to have a wet-behind-the-ears offensive coordinator. If you've ever watched someone step into a major leadership role the first time, you know the last thing they need is a prima donna in the ranks. Beasley was already being critical and talking about how things should be done. How would he react if our offensive doesn't come out humming? If he isn't getting targeted? I think for that reason alone you shouldn't overpay him to stay. WAY more than we need Cobb to be successful, we need Moore to be successful. We need to end the season with everyone clamoring over Moore...not Cobb. I think Beasley interferes with Moore's ability to assume this new role. Cobb doesn't and still provides a legitimate receiver if he's healthy.

So, give me Cobb.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Is there a bet opportunity here?
I say Cobb doesnt hit Beasley's 2018 production