Is Cobb an upgrade over Beasley?

DFWJC

Reaction score
What do you guys think?
At 1 year for 5mil guarnatted vs 4 years for 29 mil (14.5 mil guaranteed)?
Yes

For the exact same money---which is irrelevant because its not---then maybe not given health, etc.

Doesn't matter.
The value to the team is better with Cobb at his current price.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that at their peak Cobb was the better player. It's unfortunate that Cobb peaked so quickly, while Beasley developed later on.

Beasley is the better player currently by a comfortable margin though is what is being relayed.

Cobb is still more versatile from what I've seen. He is bigger (big enough to play outside to some extent). Beasley was great in his short area but he was limited which would limit the offense if they want to be more creative and less predictable.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Cobb is still more versatile from what I've seen. He is bigger (big enough to play outside to some extent). Beasley was great in his short area but he was limited which would limit the offense if they want to be more creative and less predictable.

Bingo! You just nailed it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Oh, woe is us that we would only get 50 catches from our Slot WR when Beasley averaged 45 catches a season for his career.

His last contract was 40 Million for 4 years and we are getting for 5, I'm fine with one last season of 50 catches that is nothing like his career highs.

I have a hard time believing his legs are dead at 29 years old. Chances are he was playing hurt. With the hamstring issue.

If the hamstring heals. He is fine.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing his legs are dead at 29 years old. Chances are he was playing hurt. With the hamstring issue.

If the hamstring heals. He is fine.

It wasn't like Bease was injury free. He played hobbled for half the season. What bugged me about Beasley was his propensity for catching the ball, taking a few qick steps then ducking for cover. Not always but many times. I think Cobb is better at RAC and will take a hit

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

I keep seeing the versatility comment, but it really doesnt mean anything.

A few things:
1. Cobb played 89.2% of his snaps from the slot. He's not all that versatile. And just lining up on the outside doesnt mean you play on the outside effectively.
2. It doesnt matter if a player can hypothetically play inside and on the outside or not. Say Cobb goes to the outside on a play and Hurns comes in to play the slot. What have we gained? Absolutely nothing. There are still two outside receivers and one slot receiver and doesnt effect predictability whatsoever.

But none of this really has to do with the initial statement. Yes Cobb's peak was higher years and years ago, and yes he's a bigger body than Beasley. We did not upgrade as far as on the field play from Cobb to Beasley, Beasley is the better player currently by a good margin.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d rather have Beasley but both are borderline irrelevant.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep seeing the versatility comment, but it really doesnt mean anything.

A few things:
1. Cobb played 89.2% of his snaps from the slot. He's not all that versatile. And just lining up on the outside doesnt mean you play on the outside effectively.
2. It doesnt matter if a player can hypothetically play inside and on the outside or not. Say Cobb goes to the outside on a play and Hurns comes in to play the slot. What have we gained? Absolutely nothing. There are still two outside receivers and one slot receiver and doesnt effect predictability whatsoever.

But none of this really has to do with the initial statement. Yes Cobb's peak was higher years and years ago, and yes he's a bigger body than Beasley. We did not upgrade as far as on the field play from Cobb to Beasley, Beasley is the better player currently by a good margin.

No, it's not because he can play outside per se.

It's because they have a player in the slot with outside WR ability. That allows Cobb to be used differently from the slot than how Beasley is used from the slot.

There is no proof either way as to which player will be better in 2019.

Beasley has a higher probability of staying healthy which is the reason he got paid a bit more.

GMO415

Reaction score
Beasley is better.
giphy.gif