Is Cobb an upgrade over Beasley?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Begs the question of why Cobb got 1/3 to 1/4 of the going rate, doesn't it?

Not really, the first guy that signs is always overpaid. The guy who finishes second in the Lottery makes dramatically less. Sammy Watkins got twice as much as Jordy Nelson last year but he isn't twice the WR. Watkins got 9 times as much as Cobb just did, it doesn't make him 9 times better.

I could dig it out, but the Giants overpaying Golden Tate doesn't make him four times the player. They did the same thing with Olivier Vernon and Nate Solder and those were horrible deals also.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score
Begs the question of why Cobb got 1/3 to 1/4 of the going rate, doesn't it?

BTW, I wanted to use an Anti-Mickey Spagnola thing and say "If he is so good, why is he underpaid". I couldn't quite come up with it though.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Just once, I'd love to see Austin come in as the single back, and then motion out to receiver and just fly down the field as fast as he can. I don't even care if he catches the ball or not, just to scare the crap out of a defense and show them
something other than the "same old, same old" we've been running for years.

That would be awesome. You could also put Austin in some kind of slot H Back position with Zeke in the backfield with five guys on the field that can kill you downfield.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really, the first guy that signs is always overpaid. The guy who finishes second in the Lottery makes dramatically less. Sammy Watkins got twice as much as Jordy Nelson last year but is half the WR. Watkins got 9 times as much as Cobb just did, it doesn't make him 9 times better.

I could dig it out, but the Giants overpaying Golden Tate doesn't make him four times the player. They did the same thing with Olivier Vernon and Nate Solder and those were horrible deals also.

Just wanted to say that I'm happy for your sake that the Cobb deal got done. You were obviously a big fan and proponent and must be happy about the deal. Glad for you and I hope it works out for everyone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be awesome. You could also put Austin in some kind of slot H Back position with Zeke in the backfield with five guys on the field that can kill you downfield.

Cobb brings that flexibility of lining up in the backfield as well. The Packers gave people fits using him there as well.

If I could get Duke Johnson or Ty Montgomery with their added flexibility? I could really give defenses something to think about.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What do you guys think?
yes, if healthy....both are good slot WRs, but Cobb maybe able to go outside and has been more effective. it gives the offense and OC more options with the same players on the field and moving them around. he is better in RAC than Beasley.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beasley has 28 punt returns over the last four seasons. If you count his fair catches as zero yards, his average punt return is four inches.

Oh I know, I'm just refuting people claiming that Cobb brings a lot there either. He hasn't done much in returns in four years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes, if healthy....both are good slot WRs, but Cobb maybe able to go outside and has been more effective. it gives the offense and OC more options with the same players on the field and moving them around. he is better in RAC than Beasley.

He definitely gives you more flexibility. Cobb can line up in the slot, outside, and even in the backfield. If Beasley is on the field, you know where he is and what he's doing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I'm happy for your sake that the Cobb deal got done. You were obviously a big fan and proponent and must be happy about the deal. Glad for you and I hope it works out for everyone.

Soooo.... you are saying that patience is... a good thing?

iu

Kaiser

Reaction score
If I could get Duke Johnson or Ty Montgomery with their added flexibility? I could really give defenses something to think about.

That is definitely what @AsthmaField has called for since day one.

I still think DT is the second round pick with TE probably the pick in the 3rd. But after that you could definitely take a specialty RB, along with a Safety and project OT.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is definitely what @AsthmaField has called for since day one.

I still think DT is the second round pick with TE probably the pick in the 3rd. But after that you could definitely take a specialty RB, along with a Safety and project OT.

I think safety has to be up a bit higher, especially if they fail to upgrade in free agency over Heath.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think safety has to be up a bit higher, especially if they fail to upgrade in free agency over Heath.

I could still see a safety at 58, but I think its pretty much a lock we sign a guy out of Berry or someone like Iloka.

EDIT - I listed Gaethers and the next thing I clicked on was that he had signed with the Colts.