Is Dak’s accuracy related to too much muscle?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
i remember Irvin talking about Aikman’s accuracy saying that if he ran the route blindfolded and out up his hands he was confident the ball would hit his hands, that’s how accurately and with anticipation Aikman threw it. And they’re comparing him to a guy who can barely hit the broadside of a barn LOL

I remember that story. I have read tons of books about the Cowboys.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I will say it again for the reading impaired. When his mechanics are straight Dak throws the ball as well as anyone as evidence in how well he threw it before he jacked up his calf. Once that happened and he was not able to put in the work to keep his mechanics tight his performance fell off. Whether the injury bothered him physically the latter half of the season or just mentally, the results speak for themselves. We know Dak goes out to Cali and works with Tom House at QB school every summer. When he came back from that this year it enabled him to start the season absolutely on fire. I predict that if he stays away from injury this year he will play the entire season that way..

FTWayne

Reaction score
just put it this way, he will never be invited to dancing with the stars with two left gimp feet.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Six years in to a pro career you should be tweaking and fine tuning your mechanics, not working on fundamentals and reverting back to horrible when the pressure is on.

Normally I would agree with your but we know Dak's back story. He was not well schooled as a passer in high school or in college. So he came into the league several years behind in that regard. So to me it's no surprise that he needs to work harder to stay sharp with mechanics than a lot of guys. And as long as he doesn't suffer any injury setback that keeps him from doing that I think he will continue to improve. Maybe he'll never look as smooth and natural at it as some other guys.. Who cares? If the ball gets to where it's supposed to be before the defender can make a play on it I honestly don't care what it looks like leaving his hand. I am reminded of Jamaal Wilkes' quirky *** jumpshot from the corner. That thing looked like something you'd see on the playground.. Yet it would seemingly always go through the hoops barely touching the net on the way down. Early in his career they had tried to "correct" his shooting form.. eventually the Lakers told him to just shoot it the way you always have..

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Six years in to a pro career you should be tweaking and fine tuning your mechanics, not working on fundamentals and reverting back to horrible when the pressure is on.
At this point Dak is who he is skills wise. Only his biggest fans don't understand that. This is the case for most pros after this much time in the league starting with few exceptions.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He reminds me of mcnabb. Maybe he could pass from more angles with less weight. I also think cooper needs to drop 10 pounds.
Daks muscle mass wouldn't matter unless he just ballooned up. I've been preaching this for years. DAK isn't a natural thrower of the football.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Normally I would agree with your but we know Dak's back story. He was not well schooled as a passer in high school or in college. So he came into the league several years behind in that regard. So to me it's no surprise that he needs to work harder to stay sharp with mechanics than a lot of guys. And as long as he doesn't suffer any injury setback that keeps him from doing that I think he will continue to improve. Maybe he'll never look as smooth and natural at it as some other guys.. Who cares? If the ball gets to where it's supposed to be before the defender can make a play on it I honestly don't care what it looks like leaving his hand. I am reminded of Jamaal Wilkes' quirky *** jumpshot from the corner. That thing looked like something you'd see on the playground.. Yet it would seemingly always go through the hoops barely touching the net on the way down. Early in his career they had tried to "correct" his shooting form.. eventually the Lakers told him to just shoot it the way you always have..
Come on Ronnie! You of all people should know that if your not a natural thrower of the football and you need to work so hard on your mechanics. Those mechanics are going to be the first thing to break down under pressure.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Exactly! It's like that in every sport. There are some soccer players that just have that IT ability when it comes to scoring. There are tennis players that have a great forehand that other players practice all their lives and can't get. There are a lot of baseball players that can throw 90 mph but can't control it and that's why they aren't pitchers. Dak slid threw the cracks with marginal throwing ability.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly! It's like that in every sport. There are some soccer players that just have that IT ability when it comes to scoring. There are tennis players that have a great forehand that other players practice all their lives and can't get. There are a lot of baseball players that can throw 90 mph but can't control it and that's why they aren't pitchers. Dak slid threw the cracks with marginal throwing ability.
Its not possible to "slide through the cracks" for 6 years....That's the silliest thing i've heard.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
I personally would Dak to drop some weight along with cooper. Coopers speed and burst was amazing before going up to 225. Dak would be quicker in the pocket. He can run but he does t have great quickness. Romo ran a 5.0 but was one of the quickest in the pocket. Dak ran 4.78 10 pounds ago. The nfl is about burst and stop & start ability.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Its not possible to "slide through the cracks" for 6 years....That's the silliest thing i've heard.
Sure he did! Nobody wanted him in the draft and Dallas took him by virtue of default after trying to get anyone from Connor Cook to that kid that went to Denver. Daks arm talent is backup talent and that's why he needs so many playmakers around him. Remember Dallas saying he was a major project and would need a lot of work just to be a backup.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure he did! Nobody wanted him in the draft and Dallas took him by virtue of default after trying to get anyone from Connor Cook to that kid that went to Denver. Daks arm talent is backup talent and that's why he needs so many playmakers around him. Remember Dallas saying he was a major project and would need a lot of work just to be a backup.
Nobody wanted Antonio Brown or Tom Brady or Tony Romo either. You guys have to stop trying to use draft status to determine how good or bad someone is. Its silly. Jamarcus Russell was the 1st pick in the draft so that means he was the best prospect in the league that year? Stop it.

And that's CRAP. He was never a work in progress to be a backup. Because when Romo went down what did they do? They didn't go get a backup for Romo they made Dak the backup. So let's cut it out.

Make no mistake....Dak's season was a disappointment somewhat but it was because of how well he played to start the season. He's the one set the bar. This narrative you're trying to create is silly and childish.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mahomes needs some muscle huh

last 6 drives

PUNT
PUNT
INT= 8 points
runs around on 3rd down takes huge sack punt
sack fumble nearly lost 3 points
int nearly ,then an INT in ot

all Mahomes need more proof its team game?

why no choke talk what bad half of football for an elite qb

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Tiger was not as good after he bulked up. He still played well at first, but he started to decline.

Precision at high level sports is hard. I am assuming achieving it with different body types would be very hard.

Dak is not playing golf. Brady and p manning maintained high accuracy because of their systems and qb management.

Dak will never be one of the top accuracy qbs, but he can manage his game better. Dak and Moore need to hit check downs to pollard or zeke a lot more than they do. High perventage passes like slants, and use those and the Run game to open deeper passes.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Come on Ronnie! You of all people should know that if your not a natural thrower of the football and you need to work so hard on your mechanics. Those mechanics are going to be the first thing to break down under pressure.

Well the first thing I would think is that maybe not have the guy under pressure all the damn time. Every QB who has ever lived and who will ever live is not as good when being knocked on his arse repeatedly. That's just the way it is.. No matter how tough a guy is, eventually his body will instinctively start to change things up to protect itself. The guy won't even know he's doing it most of the time.. but they all do .. The second thing is Dak's mechanics at the start of the season were absolutely on point. And he had to escape plenty of pressure in those early games .. The difference was his confidence.. He was less confident about what he was doing after coming back from the injury.. Where was the source of this loss of confidence? In his calf? In his shoulder? In his line? In his receivers? In Kellen Moore? Only he knows for sure.. But I am not willing to just say "oh the league figured him out" or "well he can only beat bad teams" or any of that other simpleton-speak.

Watching the games yesterday and really all through the playoffs you see the recurring theme that good defenses make good QBs look bad. The key is looking less bad than your defense makes the other guy. Some of the greatest QBs in the history of the game were made to look bad by good defenses this postseason.. So spare me the "Dak doesn't put up great numbers against good defenses.." Nobody does.. that's why they call them good defenses. The key going forward for Dak and Dallas is to get a defense that is able to make the other guy look more bad than Dak looks against their defense. Dak, when healthy.. is plenty good enough to get us to the promised land. But neither he nor any other QB can do it alone.. no matter how many times softheads tell us "Great QBs figure it out.." A lot of great QBs will be figuring out what to eat from their couch as they watch the Super Bowl on TV in a couple of weeks.

I'm not sitting here telling anybody Dak doesn't need to keep getting better.. He absolutely does. With any luck he will keep doing just that until he's Brady's age. As long as a QB's body holds up I absolutely expect them to keep getting better each year. And because the league is trying desperately not to let QBs get hit, more and more of them are going to be sticking around to age 40. At least the good ones .. So that means Cowboys fans are likely to be watching Dak QB our team in the year 2032. So those who really just can't stand him should just go ahead and find another team. Otherwise they're looking at 10+ more years of misery. Because when he wins they will be miserable because he is proving them wrong and when he loses they will be miserable because their team lost. That's no way to go through life..

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Mahomes needs some muscle huh last 6 drives PUNT PUNT INT= 8 points
runs around on 3rd down takes huge sack punt
sack fumble nearly lost 3 points
int nearly ,then an INT in ot
all Mahomes need more proof its team game?why no choke talk what bad half of football an elite qb
:hammer:
I can't believe how inconceivably putrid, how shockingly abysmal Mahomes was with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. It was just so unnecessary. Mahomes was frenetic in the pocket. He created a pass rush by standing still and/or running in circles, looking like someone who simply had no idea what he was doing.

He got a second chance after throwing what should have been a pick-six in overtime. He threw an actual pick on the very next play. He faced a first-and-goal from the Cincinnati 1-yard line before halftime and didn’t get any points. He faced a first-and-goal at the Cincinnati 5-yard line at the end of regulation; he lost 20 yards on sacks and would have lost the game right there if not for Joe Thuney’s outstanding fumble recovery.

This was one of the worst plays in NFL history, given the circumstances: Talk about an overpaid QB. I'd be livid as a KC fan. o_O