Is Dak better than Romo?

kskboys

Reaction score
Which throw specifically?
Dak can make all the throws. Once again, this is an NFL term strictly denoting the ability to make any throw pertaining to a normal NFL O. Anyone who says he cannot is simply not familiar w/ the term, or not very good at analyzing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Well first off Tony Romo is the best passer in Cowboy history so he has Dak on that .
Dak is a more durable QB and his availability helps the team , Tony not so much

Tony dated some of the hottest girls of any QB so he has Dak on that so far
Dak is the best rushing QB in Cowboy history and his being a duel threat makes him a real handful for defenses. Tony rarely ran past the line of scrimmage

Although Tony didnt rush the ball he was very elusive in the pocket early in his career and extended plays with this skill . Dak is not as elusive but much stronger and is not easily taken down also extending plays . So that one is a toss up

Tony Romo was one heck of a tough guy playing with a punctured lung and constant back pain . Dak has yet to have to play through that kind of pain
That said Dak looks far better conditioned than Romo ever was .

I really get the feeling the whole team would walk through the fire for Dak where with Tony there did not seem that level of dedication have to give Dak the edge in leadership .
I feel both players worked hard on perfecting their game but I have to say Dak seems a bit more grounded at a young age while Tony was a bit star struck till he got married.

All that said who is better will have to wait till Daks career is over , if he has any luck in the world he wont be hamstrung forever with the horrible coaching that wasted Tonys career .I know I am happy with Dak as our QB he represents our franchise well and feel we were very lucky to get him in the 4th round as we really did no preparation for the end of Tonys career . He has given us good value and improved his game every year excited to see him fully mature and take us to a SB
Staubach was the best passer in Cowboys history. It's really not close.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
I always felt that we had a chance with Romo regardless of the deficit. Dak is great with a lead but I get very nervous when we get behind with him. I think Romo played at a higher level than Dak has thus far, and before this year it wasn't even close. Dak's quantum leap from last year to this year has made a believer out of me. If he can continue to build off of this improvement I can envision him surpassing Tony in the very near future.

I have very high hopes for Dakota and love the kid, but he's not quite at Romo's level just yet. Finally, both Dak and Romo are light years ahead of Danny White. I have to laugh whenever I see either of them compared unfavorably to No Danny, No!

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
As I’ve said for some time now, Romo, Witten, Ware and all the “Star” players from the 00s til 2015 will be the poster children of the darkest days in Cowboys history.

* and they’re the only Cowboys to get a Cowboys coach fired in mid season because they quit

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Dak finishes better...late game give me Dak. But Tony a more natural QB,Dak has work for everything. Dak’s one area he struggles most right now....red zone. He gets that figured out ..then he’s a load to beat.

gmb1

Reaction score
It's not a fair comparison. Romo started at 26 all the way to his late 30s. Time will tell.........

Roger will always be favorite even though he was way before my time. :)

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Is he now better than Romo and if not, will he get there?

Lets remember that Romo finally started in his 4th year in the league.

Can only compare with Romo's 1st 4 years as a starter. Dak is better than that Romo who was erratic with his int's.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I was one of the biggest Romosexuals around and felt that we stuck with Dak in 2016 to the detriment of the team, but my goodness. Dak has made such HUGE strides and there's no question he's more of a leader of men that Tony ever was.

Romo was definitely more of a wizard moving around the pocket and making things happen when the play broke down. And that release was so damn lightning quick. Overall though? I'd put them about even at this point and I feel like Dak is still making huge leaps.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I thought I've heard the criticism and gripes pointed more on how Romo performed in the playoff appearances rather than Super bowl appearances, how did Romo himself perform when it was
clutch crunch time and all the stakes were on the line. How did he play and perform himself in those playoff situations,?

Keep in mind, that we've seen even hall of famers like Dan Fouts, Dan Marino and Warren Moon that didn't get Super Bowl rings which two of the aforementioned didn't even
get to a SB appearance, but yet remembered and celebrated as among the very best QB's that have ever played the game.

IMO I still think Romo will get into the NFL Hall of Fame, because he was an exciting player that happened to have played his career for the Dallas Cowboys, America’s team: the most popular team in sports history period.
.. If he played for the NY Jets, instead, I think it would be a totally different story, and not even thought about as a HOF.
There are many more deserving players that played for the Dallas Cowboys, America's Team that haven't made it in. Your logic flew out the window.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
If you look at what either has accomplished by the age of 26 and/or 4th year in the league, Dak wins hands down.

Playoffs, Dak wins that.

Career winning percentage, Dak wins that.

Dak's present season is on pace to better Romo's best statistical season throughout his whole career.

Higher ceiling? Dak.

Who's probably going to end up with the hotter wife? Romo.

I'm a huge Romo fan but health permitting Dak looks to be the better player now and most likely have the better overall career.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
For those completely dismissing Romo:

Dak Ranking for rating: 8th (this year), 14th (last year), 18th, 3rd
Romo: 1st (2014), 8th, 10th, 4th, 8th, 8th, 5th, 5th

Romo was consistently among the top 10 in QB's in the NFL. He finished top 5 in half the seasons he qualified. Dak isn't even there now.

What kills me the most about Romo is that he got the blame for the loss regardless of how bad the O line or the defense played. That isn't the case with Dak at all. I will say this though, maybe now that people ARE realizing just how awful the defense is, something will get done about it. Even when the defense ranks well, I probably haven't trusted them to get a stop for 25 years.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Can only compare with Romo's 1st 4 years as a starter. Dak is better than that Romo who was erratic with his int's.

It all boils down to preference in game style. Romo very similar to Rivers. Can make all the throws, but... Way to loose with the ball

Just watching those highlights from last night brought back so many memories. Without all the forced turnovers are the Chargers in better position to win that game?

I would imagine so. But of course the River's fans will simply say they would not be in that position without him (sound familiar).

Not to mention the similarities between the Chargers and Cowboys over the years. Can look great against lesser teams but as soon as they play another club with talent. Oh boy

Just too hard to win that way imo. Also just plain too aggravating of a playstyle.

Dak watched the growth of Romo and took note of the things he didn't like and applied that to his game. Romo got much better here eventually unlike Rivers, but Dak as long as he continued to grow.. It was apparent Dak was going to ultimately outshine.

Something specific like utilizing your check-downs. (They there and provided for a reason).

JMech

Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking about those games where the Cowboys had a big lead and Romo threw 3 INTs to give the lead back. Thanks for reminding me, Dak protects the ball better too.

Okay a Romo hater. I just had to clear that up. Thanks for the confirmation.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dak can make all the throws. Once again, this is an NFL term strictly denoting the ability to make any throw pertaining to a normal NFL O. Anyone who says he cannot is simply not familiar w/ the term, or not very good at analyzing.
The reason I asked is because there are some fans who blame him for everything, like the amazing Gallup catch. Fans came undone at gametime, but he said he ran the wrong route.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
On the football field, he’s absolutely better. Physically, mentally, & as a leader. Dak has surpassed Romo.

Bagging budding starlets and maximizing the glam of being the Cowboys starting QB, Romo has every Cowboy QB beat throughout the history of the franchise by a mile.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
By that measure, Dak is erratic with his TDs. Romo’s first four years as a starter are easily better than Dak’s. The trolls on this site have never heard of the concept of adjusting stats for era. Requires thinking and math.

Swagger

Reaction score
It all boils down to preference in game style. Romo very similar to Rivers. Can make all the throws, but... Way to loose with the ball

Just watching those highlights from last night brought back so many memories. Without all the forced turnovers are the Chargers in better position to win that game?

I would imagine so. But of course the River's fans will simply say they would not be in that position without him (sound familiar).

Not to mention the similarities between the Chargers and Cowboys over the years. Can look great against lesser teams but as soon as they play another club with talent. Oh boy

Just too hard to win that way imo. Also just plain too aggravating of a playstyle.

Dak watched the growth of Romo and took note of the things he didn't like and applied that to his game. Romo got much better here eventually unlike Rivers, but Dak as long as he continued to grow.. It was apparent Dak was going to ultimately outshine.

Something specific like utilizing your check-downs. (They there and provided for a reason).

Regardless of who prefers which QB a huge factor is that Prescott has always had a strong running game since being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Romo did for some years but not for all. That is a massive point really for any QB. E.g. This season the Patriots are really struggling with their running game and Brady looks as though he's 80 years old standing in the pocket. Last season he looked just fine because...weird they had a strong running game.

I'm not getting in to the argument of who is better as we will all have our view but the running game is a big factor when looked at objectively.

quickccc

Reaction score
There are many more deserving players that played for the Dallas Cowboys, America's Team that haven't made it in. Your logic flew out the window.

depends upon who you personally deem as " deserving". that may be bias based and simply be in the eyes of the beholder.