Is Dak better than Romo?

kskboys

Reaction score
but we did , when Dak played here "with" Dez Bryant, Linehan forced it to become an issue.
So hypothetically, if Dez was still here, we should be still trying to force that jump fade til it kills us ?
And what question did I not answer ?
That's pretty much all Dez was good for.

cern

Reaction score
dak worked out with his wr's during the offseason and before training camp. but not with dez who couldn't be bothered to stoop to such a thing.

Swagger

Reaction score
I would say that Prescott would be looked upon very differently and more favourably had Romo either retired on his own back (mind the pun) without effectively being forced out and had Romo been brought back in for the 2016 play offs.

There is so much resentment towards Prescott because Romo wasn't brought back in for those play offs.

I'm still disappointed that Romo wasn't brought back in as I just can't accept that a rookie QB would be a better option than Romo at that point in his career and with all of his experience of understanding defensive coverages etc.

Prescott was just playing etc so it was not his fault.

It's just a shame that the transition was carried out in the way it was.

Messy and in the end given that we ended up one and done, arguably unjustified with such a quality and experienced Vet QB waiting to play.

I genuinely think that's why people's views towards Prescott are so harsh.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
but we did , when Dak played here "with" Dez Bryant, Linehan forced it to become an issue.
So hypothetically, if Dez was still here, we should be still trying to force that jump fade til it kills us ?
And what question did I not answer ?
I asked for specific examples. This isn't very hard.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Romo was more like Sonny Jugensen. Dak is more like Billy Kilmer. For those of you who remember those 60s and 70s Commander teams, Jurgensen was a gunslinger who took a lot of chances, making some amazing miracle plays, but also getting burned by his risks in interceptions. Kilmer was a less flashy, but also less dangerous QB who was tough as nails and had some skills. Dak is somewhat like that, though Dak has better mobility, but not as good accuracy as Kilmer.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
and I gave specific answers with names and plays, that shouldn't be very hard either.
Not accurate. You never illustrated one single play. My whole point was that Prescott can throw dades well, maybe you just don't remember because they're not as frequent - I dunno. But he's thrown back shoulder fades, it's just a fact.

quickccc

Reaction score
dak worked out with his wr's during the offseason and before training camp. but not with dez who couldn't be bothered to stoop to such a thing.

I tend to believe what further helped Dak besides better coaching (ala Kitna, Moore, Sanjay) was the team being committed to bringing in far more dependable route runners as the
starters in Cooper, Gallup than what they previously had in Dez, TWill.

We know about Cooper's routes and dependability vs Dez in that area. And to think reported were we tried to pursue Chiefs Sammy Watkins around time Dez was cut.
but Gallup has been a monster upgrade over TWill .. til it's not funny. Far more consistent, dependable and night/day difference in pure playmaking ability

shabazz

Reaction score
In this forum, only one of these two Qb's can do this .......and it isn't Romo

6d4621be7e1325bc1404d47b200e0b8c.jpg

johneric8

Reaction score
I will give my two cents on your initial question. Dak is better and it's not even close. He is a better leader, as good as passer, but even better in regards to health and longevity. Lets not forget as great as Romo could be he was known as a chocker in big games. Romo would find the stupidest times to make mistakes, Dak simply doesn't do this.. Dak by a mile..

quickccc

Reaction score
Not accurate. You never illustrated one single play. My whole point was that Prescott can throw dades well, maybe you just don't remember because they're not as frequent - I dunno. But he's thrown back shoulder fades, it's just a fact.

not true at all.
I pointed out the issues Dak and Dez connecting on jump ball end zone fades.- what other passes could we be talking about,
but what I tend to think is folks don't want to hear that about Dak and taking it as a criticism of Dak.
it just wasn't his repetiore. Prescott has thrown a few successful, jump ball passes (ala Gallup TD in Seattle playoff0 but it wasn't near a regularity successful as when Romo/Dez.

JMech

Reaction score
I don't hate Romo. I like Romo a lot. I think he was a very good QB. But he was not a great QB and he was not worth the money Jerry gave him. I don't think Romo elevated the players around him, and I do not think he was a particularly good leader on the field. He never learned to throw the ball away. He took a lot of sacks he didn't have to take and he would make inexplicable throws to covered receivers for bad INTs at the worst moments in games. He had great moments too but on the whole he was a mix of good and bad.

So Romo never elevated a poor offensive line and marginal talent around him? Having an OC (Garrett) with the IQ of a chipmunk? This is the guy that had to draw up plays on the dirt and lead his team time after time to late game wins. Maybe he didnt throw the ball away enough, but he was a competitor and he wanted to win. So I guess you can hate him for wanting to win. His competitive spirit was never in doubt by anyone in the league and particularly by the players around him. Everyone has bad moments, but given what he was dealt, he did phenomenally for a guy that was a free agent.

Was he worth the money he was given........hell yeah. Who the heck would have QBed that team to the success they did have? And how did they do when he got hurt?

quickccc

Reaction score
That's pretty much all Dez was good for.

i'm not going to hate on Dez like that. A pity as he is one of the most impressive playmakers we've ever had here
in Cowboys history. Take the totality of his impact here as a Cowboy, when teams and opponents simply could
not match up with him physically and he overpowered, out-jumped and overwhelmed many a CBs he's faced.

Early on, he was actually a prolific playmaker as a punt returner, before the club decided he was just much too valuable
to risk in that area. When he got into his later years here and the body began to break down more, and he could not
separate and put together strings of good games, and he declined as a player, it was simply time to move on.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
not true at all.
I pointed out the issues Dak and Dez connecting on jump ball end zone fades.- what other passes could we be talking about,
but what I tend to think is folks don't want to hear that about Dak and taking it as a criticism of Dak.
it just wasn't his repetiore. Prescott has thrown a few successful, jump ball passes (ala Gallup TD in Seattle playoff0 but it wasn't near a regularity successful as when Romo/Dez.
YOU'VE NOT GIVEN ONE EXAMPLE. A specific play.

Cydios

Reaction score
It's not really apples and apples. Romo ran for his life without a front for years. 2014 was a good year to judge him

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I remember correctly, Romo was judged on Super Bowl appearances and wins. So to be fair, they both have achieved neither...
I like how you use the passive "was judged" as if others were doing it. And then you do it.

Others judge QBs on SB appearances and wins. That doesn't mean we have to, because it's a stupid thing to do and the people who do it are idiots. Romo wasn't a lesser QB because Murray got the ball stripped or because the OL imploded in '09.