Is Dak better than Romo?

quickccc

Reaction score
Dak can make all the throws. Once again, this is an NFL term strictly denoting the ability to make any throw pertaining to a normal NFL O.
Anyone who says he cannot is simply not familiar w/ the term, or not very good at analyzing.

Not quite, Dak has always had problems throwing the end zone fade pass and never mastered it, even with previous OC spending way too much time trying to force him to perfect it.
instead of sticking to what throws he does best.

Notice how in all these past 10 games, we don't resort to that jump ball end zone fade pass, but rather stick to the throws Dak feels the most comfortable with.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
depends upon who you personally deem as " deserving". that may be bias based and simply be in the eyes of the beholder.
Let's just start with Chuck Howley, Everson Walls, Too Tall, and Harvey Martin.

I think you can admit the fact they played for America's Team has 0 to do with enshrinement at this point.

Creeper

Reaction score
Okay a Romo hater. I just had to clear that up. Thanks for the confirmation.

I don't hate Romo. I like Romo a lot. I think he was a very good QB. But he was not a great QB and he was not worth the money Jerry gave him. I don't think Romo elevated the players around him, and I do not think he was a particularly good leader on the field. He never learned to throw the ball away. He took a lot of sacks he didn't have to take and he would make inexplicable throws to covered receivers for bad INTs at the worst moments in games. He had great moments too but on the whole he was a mix of good and bad.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not quite, Dak has always had problems throwing the end zone fade pass and never mastered it, even with previous OC spending way too much time trying to force him to perfect it.

Notice how in all these past 10 games, we don't resort to that jump ball end zone fade pass, but rather stick to the throws Dak feels the most comfortable with.
That's not what it means. If a QB can make all the throws, it simply means he has the ability to make all the throws. Romo could make all the throws, but he was terrible on crosses and slants.

quickccc

Reaction score
That season is pretty close to what Dak is doing now. Romo completed 66.3 percent of his passes; Dak is completing 67.7. Romo threw 31 TD passes; Dak has thrown 21. Romo threw 10 interceptions; Dak has thrown 9.

Dak has a slightly better average per pass (8.8 to 8.0) and we can't discount his 193 yards rushing and 3 TDs.

I think Romo is a Hall-of-Fame-caliber quarterback who won't get there because his team wasn't good enough, but what Dak is accomplishing this year is very comparable to 2011 Romo.

I give Romo the edge because I think his interception numbers are going to be lower unless Prescott only throws one the remainder of the season. However, Prescott's TD passes and yardage look like they will end up higher than Romo's, which mitigates the interception numbers.

I could say the same thing about Warren Moon,.. his team wasn't good enough either ... but he is in the Hall of Fame.

even though Moon was never a league MVP, his team never came close to a Super Bowl appearance, his team rode his back as they were exclusively
a very pass heavy team in that run and shoot system, and always found a way to falter and wither up like a leave in the few playoff appearances they did make because
he was mistake prone and killed his team's chances to come back, and he wasn't a clutch, 2 minute comeback QB.

But Moon played in a fancy, exotic passing system that gave him vast passing stats and numbers, and gave the viewing football audiences an exciting brand and style of entertainment
for a subtle amount of years. Apparently that was good enough to get him in the Hall of Fame in the mind of the panel voters.

quickccc

Reaction score
That's not what it means. If a QB can make all the throws, it simply means he has the ability to make all the throws. Romo could make all the throws, but he was terrible on crosses and slants.

All throws means "all" throws, and it's not as simple as you're making it out to be. And that shouldn't be seen as a knock on Dak, as every QB has plus and minuses.

Aikman wasn't counted on to make jump ball fade passes either even with a prolific high jumper like Alvin Harper here.,
and why have to resort to that, when you had Irvin and his slants and outs, ditto Novacek, Kelvin Martin's slots and all doing what they do best in the red zone
that can equally get you the very same results in scoring TDs their own way.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I could say the same thing about Warren Moon,.. his team wasn't good enough either ... but he is in the Hall of Fame.

even though Moon was never a league MVP, his team never came close to a Super Bowl appearance, his team rode his back as they were exclusively
a very pass heavy team in that run and shoot system, and always found a way to falter and wither up like a leave in the few playoff appearances they did make because
he was mistake prone and killed his team's chances to come back, and he wasn't a clutch, 2 minute comeback QB.

But Moon played in a fancy, exotic passing system that gave him vast passing stats and numbers, and gave the viewing football audiences an exciting brand and style of entertainment
for a subtle amount of years. Apparently that was good enough to get him in the Hall of Fame in the mind of the panel voters.

Yes, Moon is in the hall because of longevity as much as anything. He played 23 years and his CFL team won five Grey Cups, He set multiple passing records. He also was a nine-time Pro Bowler.

Combining his NFL and CFL stats, Moon's numbers are nearly unmatched in professional football annals: 5,357 completions in 9,205 attempts for 70,553 yards and 435 touchdowns. Even if his Canadian Football League statistics are discounted, Moon's NFL career numbers are still exceptional: 3,988 completions for 49,325 yards, 291 touchdown passes, 1,736 yards rushing, and 22 rushing touchdowns.[22] Warren Moon also held individual NFL lifetime records for most fumbles recovered (56) and most fumbles made (162), but this was surpassed by Brett Favre in 2010.[23] Moon was in the top five all-time when he retired for passing yards, passing touchdowns, pass attempts, and pass completions.[24]

Romo's numbers showed he belonged among his peers, but he wasn't setting league records, etc., to overcome the lack of playoff success. I do think he has a chance at the hall as a sports broadcaster if he sticks with that long enough.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak isn't better than Romo just yet, he will be, if his development continues at it's current rate. I'd say he's as good already, though. Of course, the Romo fans will take umbrage to that assessment and that's OK, seeing as it's just one man's opinion. I do believe his arm is stronger, though! ;)

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

What passes specifically? What fades has he had problems with?

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, Moon is in the hall because of longevity as much as anything. He played 23 years and his CFL team won five Grey Cups, He set multiple passing records. He also was a nine-time Pro Bowler.

Romo's numbers showed he belonged among his peers, but he wasn't setting league records, etc., to overcome the lack of playoff success. I do think he has a chance at the hall as a sports broadcaster if he sticks with that long enough.

Had Moon continued to play his entire career in the Canadian League, he would have never been recognized as an Hall of Famer in the NFL.
Even the NFL insist it's the " Pro Football " Hall of Fame.
He easily made his impact as a HOF candidate by what he did in the NFL ,..in that exotic run and shoot passing offense.

kskboys

Reaction score
All throws means "all" throws, and it's not as simple as you're making it out to be. And that shouldn't be seen as a knock on Dak, as every QB has plus and minuses.

Aikman wasn't counted on to make jump ball fade passes either even with a prolific high jumper like Alvin Harper here.,
and why have to resort to that, when you had Irvin and his slants and outs, ditto Novacek, Kelvin Martin's slots and all doing what they do best in the red zone
that can equally get you the very same results in scoring TDs their own way.
But, it is. "Making all the throws" is an NFL term the scouts use to denote what a QB is capable of. What you're refering to is strengths/weaknesses of a QB. Dak is capable of making an end zone throw, but he's not all that good at it. Romo could throw slants and crosses, but he wasn't all that good at it.

Mostly, when using this term, the scouts are actually referring mostly to being capable of throwing 20-30 yard bullets, though the term is all inclusive.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Dak is better then Romo because Dak always lines up. But to be fair to both quarterbacks. It's hard being coach. Play defense and over coming poor game management and schemes yet still win. I'd love to see Dak under a regime that knows what the hell they are doing.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
This might anger people but at this point in Dak's career, I'd trust him more to win a game than Romo. I was a big Romo fan and loved the guy. Was a big defender here. A lot of that was because he was forced to basically put up record second half numbers to win games for us while Red was training on the job. But I still winced every time he scrambled and let one fly and never trusted him in playoff situations. Dak does have issues but he seems to have hit a point where he takes care of the ball better and honestly he has a drive. We are lucky considering what we were aiming for in that draft.

quickccc

Reaction score
What passes specifically? What fades has he had problems with?

Romo and Dez Bryant, who made the end zone jump ball fades look so easily and effortless and such a look -easy weapon, til it wasn't funny,

..Dez and Dak on the other hand had all kind of issues connecting together on that particular route combination, it was a certain touch and ball placement accuracy Romo mastered
that Dak hadn't come to yet.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo and Dez Bryant, who made the end zone jump ball fades look so easily and effortless and such a look -easy weapon, til it wasn't funny,

..Dez and Dak on the other hand had all kind of issues connecting together on that particular route combination, it was a certain touch and ball placement accuracy Romo mastered
that Dak hadn't come to yet.
Well there is the issue. We don't have Dez Bryant. But you didn't answer the question.

quickccc

Reaction score
Let's just start with Chuck Howley, Everson Walls, Too Tall, and Harvey Martin.

I think you can admit the fact they played for America's Team has 0 to do with enshrinement at this point.

and as I suspected, deeming HOF'ers among Cowboys players, could be according to your own bias.
For instance, I haven't heard many astute football fans insisting Too Tall was a Hall of Famer, which he is not, ..and has never been listed as a semi finalist candidate for such among panelists.
But hey,, to each his own.

quickccc

Reaction score
Well there is the issue. We don't have Dez Bryant. But you didn't answer the question.

but we did , when Dak played here "with" Dez Bryant, Linehan forced it to become an issue.
So hypothetically, if Dez was still here, we should be still trying to force that jump fade til it kills us ?
And what question did I not answer ?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Had Moon continued to play his entire career in the Canadian League, he would have never been recognized as an Hall of Famer in the NFL.
Even the NFL insist it's the " Pro Football " Hall of Fame.
He easily made his impact as a HOF candidate by what he did in the NFL ,..in that exotic run and shoot passing offense.

I agree with that, but once he came over the NFL, his CFL career was recognized in the process of selecting him. Without the NFL, he wouldn't have made it. Without the CFL, he probably would have made it because of his prolific numbers despite the lack of playoff success. (Of course, without the CFL, he probably would have not made the NFL.)

408Cowboy

Reaction score
and as I suspected, deeming HOF'ers among Cowboys players, could be according to your own bias.
For instance, I haven't heard many astute football fans insisting Too Tall was a Hall of Famer, which he is not, ..and has never been listed as a semi finalist candidate for such among panelists.
But hey,, to each his own.
The fact you think playing for this specific team is helpful is idiotic.