Is Dak Playing Better Due to The Threat That Is Trey Lance?

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Why on earth would Jerry give up a 4th rd pick just to dump him after the year? Dak has no clue about what the plans are/were for Trey, and Trey is of no immediate to Dak the way he is playing. Trey will be the backup next year, plain and simple...assuming Dak extends, Trey will be the backup until he can get some playing time because right now his value is less that what the Cowboys paid for him
I think the thought was 1) get him playing time in preseason and garbage time next year and flip him for a higher pick (assuming he plays like a first rounder) 2) have a backup QB with higher upside than Rush in the event of injury and trade Rush to get back a draft pick to partially offset the 4th given up.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Multiple reasons why Dak is playing better and none of it has to do with Lance. MM and Dak seem to be on the same page is probably the number 1 reason. I think it’s the fact that Dak is an 8 year veteran. The great quarterbacks for the most part played at their best after 30 if they stay away from injuries.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Nope.

Broke his ankle.
I live 80 miles from where the Niners play. I watch every niner game....yea, he broke his ankle, and he was also GRABAGE. At no time was he ever playing at a high level. His last game with the niners was preseason.... and he looked like a HS QB and that is what put the nail in his coffin as far as staying or going.

So many people dismiss Purdy and say he is only good because of all the weapons he has. All of those "Weapons," were on the roster when Lance was starting,...... and he never came close to playing at Purdy's level.

He is now a Cowboy and because I am an actual fan of this team, I hope that Lance turns it around and becomes a true game changing QB. Ill be SHOCKED if he ever becomes an actual player in Dallas.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
And when do you think he will get playing time or even practice time? The only playing time he is getting is on the scout team.
next season, whole point of why I say there is no point trading him in the off season

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Lance wants an opportunity to start. He will never get that in Dallas. We are not going to pick up his 5th year option. So at the end of next year he will be a free agent and will want to go to a ****** team with an opportunity to start.

End of story.
You don't know what Jerry will do with his contract, just like you don't know (safe to assume he will though) what he will do with Dak's. Also, great for Trey to want a chance to start somewhere, but what team on earth is going to hand him the keys when he hasn't played football in the NFL? He isn't a vet, and in theory a young team would be the one to take a chance on him and they will draft one next year. Unless Jerry gets a comp pick in the 3rd round, there would be no reason to give up a 4th for him, just to turn around and not extend.

risco

Reaction score
Dak is playing his best ball ever and what is interesting about that? Trey Lance is on the roster. I have a suspicion that Trey Lance is playing well in training camp and is putting pressure on Dak. What if this is why we signed Lance? To up Dak’s game? I have some opinions on Jerry, but what if this was his master plan all along? We now have a starting qb and a backup who is good enough to start.

A bit of a conspiracy theory but anybody else jumping on board?
Could it be that Dak now has better coaching for the first time in his career.....?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the thought was 1) get him playing time in preseason and garbage time next year and flip him for a higher pick (assuming he plays like a first rounder) 2) have a backup QB with higher upside than Rush in the event of injury and trade Rush to get back a draft pick to partially offset the 4th given up.
No one in the league would pay peanuts for Rush whomis 30, never was.any good. Why would anyone in their right mind trade anything for a QB with zero upside

Now if we can.flip Lance for a 3rd rounder. Then fine

b0xZZ

Reaction score
Training camp is after the season and right before next season. I’ll send you a schedule. And we will see how Lance does. Until then keep reaching
What's a reach about that observation? Is it a coincidence Dak started playing with urgency after the Lance trade? I don't think it is. Dak has been in the league 8 years, the light bulb didn't just suddenly go on, he felt the heat.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nathan-Fillion-reaction-gif.gif
Yup.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is playing his best ball ever and what is interesting about that? Trey Lance is on the roster. I have a suspicion that Trey Lance is playing well in training camp and is putting pressure on Dak. What if this is why we signed Lance? To up Dak’s game? I have some opinions on Jerry, but what if this was his master plan all along? We now have a starting qb and a backup who is good enough to start.

A bit of a conspiracy theory but anybody else jumping on board?
Uh, no. If that were the case, he would have played at this level long before now. Dak has had his struggles, but he is red hot lately. If he screws the pooch, it will not be in fear of Lance.
Crack kills. Just sayin'.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Simply playing better because the ball is coming out a lot faster and we've started using Lamb more effectively.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What's a reach about that observation? Is it a coincidence Dak started playing with urgency after the Lance trade? I don't think it is. Dak has been in the league 8 years, the light bulb didn't just suddenly go on, he felt the heat.
I think you’re right. It’s also why Sam Darnold started playing better so he could secure the QB2 position behind Purdy. And Purdy, knowing Trey Lance was on the roster, discovered how to play quarterback in the NFL. Trey Lance is why Prescott and Purdy are in the MVP conversation. Neither would be playing as well, but for him. Lance should be worth at least a third round draft pick just to go turn on “the light bulb” for other NFL quarterbacks. Maybe a second. What do you think? A 2nd or a 3rd?

conner01

Reaction score
Dak has been playing good every year but one and coming off an injury that year. Fans just don’t see it because they don’t look. No one in the front office thinks Lance is taking daks job lol and Dak knows he’s getting a huge contract and about a 99% chance it’s in dallas
The best hope for Lance is he can beat out rush and be the backup. I think that was the plan when they got him all along.