Is Dak Playing Better Due to The Threat That Is Trey Lance?

Chasing6

Reaction score
It still amazes me the 49ers gave up so much to draft a quarterback as raw as Lance. I think they overestimated their coaching staff's ability and thought they had the next face of the franchise.

I agree with all of your points, but all the physical talent San Fran loved is still there. In terms of arm and athletic ability Lance is way ahead of Rush. And Dallas doesn't need Lance to be "the guy", they just need him to be a better backup than Rush. I would give Lance every snap in all three preseason games next summer just to see if he can be that.
Playing QB is so much more than being great athlete and having a big arm. It takes a long time for a QB to develop and his development has been seriously delayed. He is way behind schedule. This was obvious to colleges based off of his playing time in HS and why he was not highly recruited. Then after just 1 year starting in college, he is even further behind.

For example Rush finished his high school career throwing for 7,248 passing yards (455-for-734, 62 percent), 80 passing touchdowns, 1,438 rushing yards and 27 rushing touchdowns.Then in college he threw another 1,648 passes, 13,000 yards and 90 TD's - starting 50 games.

Regardless of how athletic he his you can't make up for that lost time/experience getting minimal reps behind Dak and in pre-season. Lance has started less 25 games his entire career.

This is nothing against him. He needs to get experience by playing the game.

jaybird

Reaction score
Dak is playing his best ball ever and what is interesting about that? Trey Lance is on the roster. I have a suspicion that Trey Lance is playing well in training camp and is putting pressure on Dak. What if this is why we signed Lance? To up Dak’s game? I have some opinions on Jerry, but what if this was his master plan all along? We now have a starting qb and a backup who is good enough to start.

A bit of a conspiracy theory but anybody else jumping on board?
I nominate you for Silliest post of the year

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak is playing his best ball ever and what is interesting about that? Trey Lance is on the roster. I have a suspicion that Trey Lance is playing well in training camp and is putting pressure on Dak. What if this is why we signed Lance? To up Dak’s game? I have some opinions on Jerry, but what if this was his master plan all along? We now have a starting qb and a backup who is good enough to start.

I thinks it’s part pride, part contract year, part team, part crummy competition, part better OL play, part OC and part Dak was always pretty good.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why on earth would Jerry give up a 4th rd pick just to dump him after the year? Dak has no clue about what the plans are/were for Trey, and Trey is of no immediate to Dak the way he is playing. Trey will be the backup next year, plain and simple...assuming Dak extends, Trey will be the backup until he can get some playing time because right now his value is less that what the Cowboys paid for him
And when do you think he will get playing time or even practice time? The only playing time he is getting is on the scout team.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why on earth would Jerry give up a 4th rd pick just to dump him after the year? Dak has no clue about what the plans are/were for Trey, and Trey is of no immediate to Dak the way he is playing. Trey will be the backup next year, plain and simple...assuming Dak extends, Trey will be the backup until he can get some playing time because right now his value is less that what the Cowboys paid for him
Because he is Jerry and can do whatever the hell he wants to. Jerry is not going to fire Jerry.

ghst187

Reaction score
Lance doesn’t belong on an NFL roster right now…
At worst Dak is a top 20 starter.
Be all time dumb decision

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Last time we were talking about Dak like this Romo was breathing down his neck... so idk. Competition is good tho.
Romo wasn’t breathing down Dak’s neck, he was the starter and Dak was the backup. It was assumed when Dak took over for the injured Romo at the start of the 2016 season, that Romo would be back later in the season when he was healthy. That ended up not being the case due to Dak’s outstanding play. He never felt the pressure of Romo behind him, because he was replacing him due to injury. Dak never expected to end up winning the starting job that season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lance doesn’t belong on an NFL roster right now…
At worst Dak is a top 20 starter.
Be all time dumb decision
Dak isn’t anything worse than a top 5 starter currently. He’s playing the best football of any QB in the league right now. He’s one of the leading contenders for MVP.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When you trade a 4th round pick for a QB who was a top three selection that’s going to send a message to your starter. With Dak up for an extension soon, the Cowboys needed another option just in case he continued to regress. I’m sure the signing of Lance spurred Dak on some. However, the biggest reason he’s playing so well is the new offense and change in OC. A lot of changes were made during the off-season to help Dak and so far they’ve worked.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Dak is doing better because he is finally being coached by superior coaches…JG and KM are frauds.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I don't know if that is why lance was brought in. I think I read somewhere that Jerry got him because he says QB's are an important asset.

(but i really think it was to scare dak, but i bet dak is teaching him). Dak ain't scared of y'all.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
Why do people keep trying to bring Lance into the picture, I don’t get it. It’s already been said 2 million times that he’s the EMERGENCY backup.. He has no shot at playing.. I’m willing to assume the conversation between him and Jerry going like.. “You know you aren’t playing this season right” lol.. Dak is probably 100 percent certain he doesn’t have to look over his shoulder worrying about Lance.. after Rush is gone, that’s a different situation.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I don't know why a 3rd string QB would be a threat to Dak. We should wait until Lance is better than Cooper Rush before assuming anything.
A former 1st round pick with potential is a threat. No one here has seen how Lance is performing in practice, and Dak has upped his game since the acquisition. Who's to say there is no correlation.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

this is the dumbest crap ever. First of all, Trey isnt doing jack squat in TRAINING CAMP. And if you think a guy can actually play better because there is some threat behind him, you have clearly never played sports in your life.

Athletes always do their best... always, thats why they are athletes.

enough of this stupidity.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
A former 1st round pick with potential is a threat. No one here has seen how Lance is performing in practice, and Dak has upped his game since the acquisition. Who's to say there is no correlation.
Lance was absolute garbage for the niners... GARBAGE.