Is Dak Playing Better Due to The Threat That Is Trey Lance?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
No, Dak is playing better because our young players who were stars early on in their careers are starting to mature and evolve into even better players.

We may have to kick Dak's contract down the road. And at some point, we may have to bring in someone to legitimately challenge Dak. But the thing is, Dak is our QB.

Some of you are so reactionary that you can't see what's obvious to someone who would stop and actually think about it. Dak was always going to be our guy. Cooper Rush is always going to be the backup. Maybe Lance can supplant Rush, and I think that's what they want to see. But it'll be a long while before Lance supplants Dak when Dak is one of the best in the league.

That's why Lance makes so much sense. He's not a right now player. Everyone who has evaluated him, even those up close, can see his talent. They just don't have the time and patience to allow Lance to develop to his potential. They 9ers want to win now, and Lance was too costly to just be sitting around, since they are using their resources on winning now.

Flamma

Reaction score
A former 1st round pick with potential is a threat. No one here has seen how Lance is performing in practice, and Dak has upped his game since the acquisition. Who's to say there is no correlation.
Practice is nothing more than a warm up. It doesn't tell you anything. Not even preseason. Kenny Pickett and Daniel Jones looked good in preseason. If practice showed anything, Trent Green and Drew Bledsoe would not have been named starters over Kurt Warner and Tom Brady.

Chasing6

Reaction score
A former 1st round pick with potential is a threat. No one here has seen how Lance is performing in practice, and Dak has upped his game since the acquisition. Who's to say there is no correlation.
A former 1st round pick that had no business being drafted in the first round. We had a 4th round grade on him. If we had a 1st round grade on him I would agree with you.

The Niner trade to move up and grab him was one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL. John Lynch is lucky to still have a job thanks to Purdy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
McCarthy made changes to the offense and Dak started using his legs more.

It’s what has made him better.

When Dak stays in the pocket and just relies on arm talent he’s mediocre.

Primetime42

Reaction score
I am once again asking for people to pass certain tests before being allowed to start threads here

ghst187

Reaction score
Dak isn’t anything worse than a top 5 starter currently. He’s playing the best football of any QB in the league right now. He’s one of the leading contenders for MVP.
Yep, I was implying that even the most die hard Dak hater would HAVE to admit Dak is a top 20 guy. But yes I agree, not sure anyone is playing as well as him right now.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak is playing his best ball ever and what is interesting about that? Trey Lance is on the roster. I have a suspicion that Trey Lance is playing well in training camp and is putting pressure on Dak. What if this is why we signed Lance? To up Dak’s game? I have some opinions on Jerry, but what if this was his master plan all along? We now have a starting qb and a backup who is good enough to start.

A bit of a conspiracy theory but anybody else jumping on board?
I guess that is why Purdy is playing so well also, because Trey Lance pushed him. Same with Donald. He pushed Donald, so much that Lance lost his back up spot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yep, I was implying that even the most die hard Dak hater would HAVE to admit Dak is a top 20 guy. But yes I agree, not sure anyone is playing as well as him right now.
Hopefully his stellar play continues tomorrow night.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Trey Lance isn't a threat to any starter with a pulse. He's not good and has shown zero so far. Stop.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BsRxJLG.gif

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A former 1st round pick that had no business being drafted in the first round. We had a 4th round grade on him.
Not sure where you heard that. Jerry said they had a second round grade on him.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Do we need to work so hard to find excuses for Daks performance? Can we just say he’s a good QB in his own right?

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
A former 1st round pick that had no business being drafted in the first round. We had a 4th round grade on him. If we had a 1st round grade on him I would agree with you.

The Niner trade to move up and grab him was one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL. John Lynch is lucky to still have a job thanks to Purdy.
We had a 2 round grade on him according to Jerry.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Do we need to work so hard to find excuses for Daks performance? Can we just say he’s a good QB in his own right?
He has been a middle of the road QB for most of his career, now he is playing lights out, squeezing passes between double coverage? Even his rookie year he was game managing. He is lights out right now, and all that's being asked is how much of that is a byproduct of the Lance trade? It's foolish to dismiss that Dak could Perceive that as a wake up call that he could be replaced. Rather Lance is good or not is almost irrelevant, he is still young, and still has a high ceiling. Rather or not he turns out to be a bust or not, management traded for a legitimate prospect. Why wouldn't that light a fire under Dak's hind parts.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Maybe the OP is on to something. Maybe it's this competition thing with Trey Lance that brings out the best in other QBs, maybe it's what spurred Brock Purdy to work harder, be a better QB and now Dak. Pretty soon other teams are going to catch on and try to trade for Lance to motivate their own QB. The Carolina GM must be looking at this and think, it worked for the 9ers and Cowboys, we need us some Trey Lance to motivate Bryce Young. :muttley: