Is Dak worth more than Foles 4 yr 88 million?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He belongs to the group below Brady at about 17-19 million a year range along with tannehill and bortles.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with you.

But some fans are simply seeing stupid numbers and calling that "going rate", because it's much easier than actually think about things too much.

But the fact is that if you look at that list, few, if any of the names at the top are giving their teams the proper return on investment.

We can start with the top 6, all of whom watched the playoffs from home. If some dummies want to chalk that up as coincidence? Feel free, I can't do your thinking for you. But to blindly want to jump into that same mess? That's just beyond dumb.

And take 4 of those top 6 guys and note that their teams are irrelevant, non-contenders who haven't competed for championships for years, and certainly not after overpaying these quarterbacks. The Vikings, 49'ers, Lions and Raiders have been the role models for what not to do and yet, some people want to now follow their lead?
Well done.

I'm OK w/ extending Dak to see what we have, but breaking the bank on him would simply be foolish

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
He got a four-year deal worth reportedly 88 million base with easily made incentives bring it up to 102 million with roughly 50 million guaranteed.

Will DAK get that? Of course he will. Jerry knows what he's getting with Prescott both the good, and the bad. Jaguars don't know what they're getting with Foles other than what they see on tape, and what they've learned from coach DeFilippo who had him in Philly.

I think Prescott not only will get more, but a lot more. Prescott's agent probably view Foles contract as chump change.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you.

But some fans are simply seeing stupid numbers and calling that "going rate", because it's much easier than actually think about things too much.

But the fact is that if you look at that list, few, if any of the names at the top are giving their teams the proper return on investment.

We can start with the top 6, all of whom watched the playoffs from home. If some dummies want to chalk that up as coincidence? Feel free, I can't do your thinking for you. But to blindly want to jump into that same mess? That's just beyond dumb.

And take 4 of those top 6 guys and note that their teams are irrelevant, non-contenders who haven't competed for championships for years, and certainly not after overpaying these quarterbacks. The Vikings, 49'ers, Lions and Raiders have been the role models for what not to do and yet, some people want to now follow their lead?
Very good post, stash.

The "wait and see" crowd seems to be in the minority here with Prescott and part of the overvalue that Booger sees with him is that they scored on a 4th rounder and missing on Lynch and Cook will get conveniently forgotten. This is an ego bump deal. "Look at what I did".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very good post, stash.

The "wait and see" crowd seems to be in the minority here with Prescott and part of the overvalue that Booger sees with him is that they scored on a 4th rounder and missing on Lynch and Cook will get conveniently forgotten. This is an ego bump deal. "Look at that I did".

Exactly right.

An ignorant "told ya so" deal when the fact is that their first and second choices in that draft were wrong. Abysmally wrong.

And they'll act that way at the inevitable press conference too, like they think they got one over on the rest of the league, when, in fact, they'll be the idiots.

Again.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Very good post, stash.

The "wait and see" crowd seems to be in the minority here with Prescott and part of the overvalue that Booger sees with him is that they scored on a 4th rounder and missing on Lynch and Cook will get conveniently forgotten. This is an ego bump deal. "Look at what I did".
Make him play out his rookie deal. Then decide.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Possibly. However, now's the time. If we wait, in all likelihood it will just get worse. I just hope this FO can recognize it as such.
Yep

If our intent is to sign him then why wait. Surely we aren’t waiting on another season which could certainly drive up the price ??

Now, if he didn’t accept this kind of offer then there could problems moving forward . My point is I just can’t see him refusing this type of offer.

If he turns out to be much greater then we can renegotiate in a couple years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Make him play out his rookie deal. Then decide.
IDK, man, if we could get him for around 22 mil for 4 years it would be perfect. Dak is still progressing as a QB, and a deal such as that will allow us to continue the evaluation. He's only going to get more expensive. If you make him play out his rook deal, as you're suggesting, then the price will jump up to 30 mil. Is that what you'd prefer?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
IDK, man, if we could get him for around 22 mil for 4 years it would be perfect. Dak is still progressing as a QB, and a deal such as that will allow us to continue the evaluation. He's only going to get more expensive. If you make him play out his rook deal, as you're suggesting, then the price will jump up to 30 mil. Is that what you'd prefer?

Ksk, we aren't getting him for $22MAAV even if it was a 30 year contract, do not get excited about it. It's not even a remote possibility.
You're correct that his figure looks more like $30M than it does $22M.

LittleD

Reaction score

Foles is clearly a better and more accomplished QB than Dak. Dak should get about 17mil avg for a 4yr deal at best.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It could get even harrrier than that if we had to Franchise Tag him.

If we aren’t sold on him now then we should be looking beyond Dak. But every indication is we want Dak.

If that’s the case then I don’t see any reason to wait. As you said it will only drive the price up plus muddy the waters.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO

Look at the numbers. Where does he fall on this list?

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

The market isn’t stagnant. You have to understand salaries on this list are not representative of where each player’s value would be in today’s market. It is only representative of the market as it was at the time each player signed his last contract and where he fit into the market at that time.

Salaries go up every year. Look at Foles. This list shows Foles at $14.5 MM/year and now, a year later, he is at $22 million per year. What did Garappolo do to become the 4th highest paid QB, earning more than Brees, Roethlesberger and many others.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ksk, we aren't getting him for $22MAAV even if it was a 30 year contract, do not get excited about it. It's not even a remote possibility.
You're correct that his figure looks more like $30M than it does $22M.

And that's why you let him play out his rookie deal and then tag him for that $30 million in 2020. I get another year at a huge discount rather than jumping to overpay him "$30 million" a year before I have to.

BigD_95

Reaction score
As in unrestricted FA, I’m also not sure.

However, in the parallel universe of Jerryland, and even with a year left on his rookie deal, Dak might surpass Foles’ deal.

might? I would bet the ranch its way more than what Foles got.