Is Dak worth more than Foles 4 yr 88 million?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
NO if they sign him to much bigger contract its paying a average player like great player which he is not

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think Dak would walk away if not offered more?
I hope he walks away and they have to wait until the next off season. It is crazy to re-sign him now when they have all of the options in 2020. They can tag him, tag and trade him or do the long term deal then. If it cost them more, so what? The cap in bouncing up 10M a season every season.

If his value jumps appreciably this season then what has happened? He has played better, that's all I am wanting to see. I want to see fewer QB 101 passes poorly thrown before I think he is the QB of the future.

But what if he slides? The options are still there as well as considering a different franchise QB through the draft.

I am neither Dakster or Dakater but I like keeping the options open and I still have little faith in this brain trust building a good enough team around Dak to get to the big dance and that is what it's going to take. That's my real hold back with him. It's not really as much about him as it is them.

One team has proven they know how to continually build around the QB and they have the best one to play the game. One team, that's it. All of these others with Tier 1's, what have they done? Rely on that Tier 1 a little too much? Hell, the Cowboys did that with a Tier 2, think they won't do that again? We are giving them too much credit for a partially built defense.

If I were a GM, I would have set limits by position and if a player goes beyond that, he plays elsewhere. The really good football men can get by with letting that slide on occasion but the Joneses have the habit of robbing Peter to pay Paul and have had too many Paul's on the team, we need more Peters!!!

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I agree with you.

But some fans are simply seeing stupid numbers and calling that "going rate", because it's much easier than actually thinking about things too much.

But the fact is that if you look at that list, few, if any of the names at the top are giving their teams the proper return on investment.

We can start with the top 6, all of whom watched the playoffs from home. If some dummies want to chalk that up as coincidence? Feel free, I can't do your thinking for you. But to blindly want to jump into that same mess? That's just beyond dumb.

And take 4 of those top 6 guys and note that their teams are irrelevant, non-contenders who haven't competed for championships for years, and certainly not after overpaying these quarterbacks. The Vikings, 49'ers, Lions and Raiders have been the role models for what not to do and yet, some people want to now follow their lead?

Man I love your logic , and you are correct obviously .. HOWEVER , whether we like it or not , whether we feel Dak is worth it to be paid like a top 10 franchise QB (more likely paid like top 5 fqb) or not .. that’s what is going to happen .. we will overpay because for Dak and his agent to take less is foolish . Jerry and Stephen are infatuated with Dak as many fans and NFL pundits are .. they have already laid their cards on the table and all but stated we are backing the brinks truck up for Dak .. so he will end up with a going rate top $$ contract .. period .. UNLESS , Dak pulls a Tom Brady ($$ wise ) and accepts less .. reports are he won’t .. so all of our huffing and puffing / screaming to the mountains etc .. will amount to notta !! Daks getting paid

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And that's why you let him play out his rookie deal and then tag him for that $30 million in 2020. I get another year at a huge discount rather than jumping to overpay him "$30 million" a year before I have to.
Does that mean we aren’t sold on Dak? So much uncertainty is attached to that decision. For Dak and the Cowboys future.

Again, I think it comes down to ; is Dak our guy for the near forceable future? If it is then now is the time to sign him .

The Cowboys have made every indication he is our guy. So why wait. Doesn’t make sense financially.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
And that's why you let him play out his rookie deal and then tag him for that $30 million in 2020. I get another year at a huge discount rather than jumping to overpay him "$30 million" a year before I have to.

I'd sign him now so that his hit is higher this year, and lower the rest of his contract.

Benefits the team over the life of the contract outside of year 1, compared to only benefitting this year. That's not even mentioning how much extra the market will have gone up at that point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Man I love your logic , and you are correct obviously .. HOWEVER , whether we like it or not , whether we feel Dak is worth it to be paid like a top 10 franchise QB (more likely paid like top 5 fqb) or not .. that’s what is going to happen .. we will overpay because for Dak and his agent to take less is foolish . Jerry and Stephen are infatuated with Dak as many fans and NFL pundits are .. they have already laid their cards on the table and all but stated we are backing the brinks truck up for Dak .. so he will end up with a going rate top $$ contract .. period .. UNLESS , Dak pulls a Tom Brady ($$ wise ) and accepts less .. reports are he won’t .. so all of our huffing and puffing / screaming to the mountains etc .. will amount to notta !! Daks getting paid
I agree . The key is how much.

I’d like to think Dak would feel more comfortable not having to play out his Rookie contract season to be rewarded that extension.

Stepping up to the plate now might influence Dak to take less than waiting plus the additional pressure and drama attached.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does that mean we aren’t sold on Dak? So much uncertainty is attached to that decision. For Dak and the Cowboys future.

Again, I think it comes down to ; is Dak our guy for the near forceable future? If it is then now is the time to sign him .

The Cowboys have made every indication he is our guy. So why wait. Doesn’t make sense financially.
That's the difference in them and the ones wanting to wait and see. They've seen enough and have even inflated him before the negotiation began. Those of us wanting to wait only have one play, he balks and decides to play out his contract year.

Is it just me but a HC and QB in a prove it year for both? That's Forum Gold right there, me buckos. Throw in the tagged DE and that's a posting party.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Another thing posters don't understand is that the risk with this would be marganinalized immensely given who we are signing/what position he plays.

You sign him long term and you want to move on after two years? Trade him for a nice draft pick to another team.

Dak is a legit franchise QB, they will always be in demand and will also fetch a good price. Hell Flacco hasnt been a franchise QB in years and HE GOT A 3RD!?!?!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Likely so. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy about what they do or approve of it. I'm not giving a prediction, I'm giving my opinion and what I think is in the team's overall best interests.

But some fans simply prefer to rubber stamp everything this team does, despite their exercise in futility for over 20 years. Not saying that's you so don't take it that way, but it's obvious that they're here.

movaughn88

Reaction score
I'm not even going to get into an argument of what he's worth. If I was Dak, would I take that contract? Absolutely not, not a snowball's chance in Hades.

If the Cowboys let him play out his rookie deal, then Franchise him for $30m in 2020, then we better have another QB lined up for the next year because he will be gone. Or be ready to match some chump team's offer (think teams like Raiders, Bills, Jags who are blowing money now) for WAY north of $30m a year in UFA.

If they want him beyond 2020, they have to sign him now for something between $25-30m. Like I said, if not plan to draft a QB next year (good luck with a 1st Round pick in the 20s).

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, so why not offer him that same type contract right now?
If they gotta offer one, I would prefer that to this 27-30M that's been rumored. But I would prefer to take the chance on his contract year.

UpNorth

Reaction score
Dak isn't worth 2/3rds of that if we're being honest with ourselves

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I explained why it does. Strictly from a dollars and sense perspective. If I'm not getting a discount, I'm not paying top dollar before I have to.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I agree . The key is how much.

I’d like to think Dak would feel more comfortable not having to play out his Rookie contract season to be rewarded that extension.

Stepping up to the plate now might influence Dak to take less than waiting plus the additional pressure and drama attached.
Your right , plus the next wave of Qb contracts are going to be stupid cashola ; again not saying I am all in on Dak .. it doesn’t matter .. the owners are .. so business wise work out his contract now and we will end up saving money in the long run ... again it’s not IS Dak worth 25-30 million per year .. it’s what will he take and logic has to say he would take less now than in a year

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd sign him now so that his hit is higher this year, and lower the rest of his contract.

Benefits the team over the life of the contract outside of year 1, compared to only benefitting this year. That's not even mentioning how much extra the market will have gone up at that point.

If your method "saves $28 million"? I'm eager to read about it. Because that's what letting this year play out saves you.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That's the difference in them and the ones wanting to wait and see. They've seen enough and have even inflated him before the negotiation began. Those of us wanting to wait only have one play, he balks and decides to play out his contract year.

Is it just me but a HC and QB in a prove it year for both? That's Forum Gold right there, me buckos. Throw in the tagged DE and that's a posting party.
So, we think if Dak has an off year or we don’t make the playoffs ..whatever scenario you want to present , the Cowboys are going to abort Dak?

That would mean we are undecided on him which there’s been no indication . As a matter of fact the rhetoric has been the opposite.