Is Dak worth more than Foles 4 yr 88 million?

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Dak more talented than foles is questionable. Maybe younger, but if you going to say talent...
You must be misreading my post ? Where did I say anything about Daks talent vs Foles talent ..
I am talking about nfl player salaries .. in this reference is that salaries aren’t related to talent but going rate

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And my original answer was that Dak clearly isn't worth what Foles just got

When the question was framed as "sign him now to a Foles type deal, or wait until next year when salaries will skyrocket ", i gave the very obvious answer of you go with whatever is cheapest.

Like i said though, if it's up to me i dont sign him. I'd either trade him now or draft a replacement and let him walk next year
But it’s not up to you. This is about what should the Cowboys do based on what they think. Not us..

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Yep

If our intent is to sign him then why wait. Surely we aren’t waiting on another season which could certainly drive up the price ??

Now, if he didn’t accept this kind of offer then there could problems moving forward . My point is I just can’t see him refusing this type of offer.

If he turns out to be much greater then we can renegotiate in a couple years.

What you say does make sense. 22 a year i'm fine with. Not something that would damage the team for a decade.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Does that mean we aren’t sold on Dak? So much uncertainty is attached to that decision. For Dak and the Cowboys future.

Again, I think it comes down to ; is Dak our guy for the near forceable future? If it is then now is the time to sign him .

The Cowboys have made every indication he is our guy. So why wait. Doesn’t make sense financially.

Well I don't know if Dak is the guy. I was in the want to wait until the end of the season camp before signing him. But what you said about signing him now for foles like contract of 4 years for 88 isn't too illogical either. Well I'm fine with paying Dak, I used to be a fan of his from 2016-2017. And you say that deal is good if we think he is our guy and to me it is a good deal even if you are unsure that he is. Heck, I wouldn't even mind throwing in some incentives that if he reaches certain benchmarks that it could go up to 25 million a year for example. I don't mind paying the guy if he is worth it. You have said and I have said, all that matters really is if Dak wins. I think for the both of us, we have a different view from his die hard fans of how far he can get us. I think Dak can win us games in the regular season. I don't know if he can win us games once he starts making 30 million a year because the people surrounding him will become slowly less and less talented. He has proven that he is good enough to win a playoffs game, but in division games, usually one of the teams there is elite. I don't know if they cowboys can win against elite teams right now. I certainly would feel more comfortable facing an elite team with a quarterback that is a better passer than Dak. But if you offer him a 4 year contract for 88 million, then that lets us recover if Dak isn't the guy and in 2020 if he bombs out next year even with that contract I would draft a rookie QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well I don't know if Dak is the guy. I was in the want to wait until the end of the season camp before signing him. But what you said about signing him now for foles like contract of 4 years for 88 isn't too illogical either. Well I'm fine with paying Dak, I used to be a fan of his from 2016-2017. And you say that deal is good if we think he is our guy and to me it is a good deal even if you are unsure that he is. Heck, I wouldn't even mind throwing in some incentives that if he reaches certain benchmarks that it could go up to 25 million a year for example. I don't mind paying the guy if he is worth it. You have said and I have said, all that matters really is if Dak wins. I think for the both of us, we have a different view from his die hard fans of how far he can get us. I think Dak can win us games in the regular season. I don't know if he can win us games once he starts making 30 million a year because the people surrounding him will become slowly less and less talented. He has proven that he is good enough to win a playoffs game, but in division games, usually one of the teams there is elite. I don't know if they cowboys can win against elite teams right now. I certainly would feel more comfortable facing an elite team with a quarterback that is a better passer than Dak. But if you offer him a 4 year contract for 88 million, then that lets us recover if Dak isn't the guy and in 2020 if he bombs out next year even with that contract I would draft a rookie QB.
I’m not asking what you think. I’m asking what should the Cowboys do based on what they think?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I do think Jacksonville bidding against themselves made the deal better for them. Plus he's already 30

But really, if Dak was on the open market today, what team would bid that much for him?
Right before the draft, QB needy teams drafting early are often more optimistic that they can land their franchise QB ona rookie deal and build around him.

Honest question.

What team would go all in on Dak right now?
Miami maybe?

I don't think any team would agree to pay Dak 30 million, which is why the 22 mil for four years would work. And even if he bombs out next season, the 2020 QB pick could sit and develop a year or two before you throw him into the game.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I’m not asking what you think. I’m asking what should the Cowboys do based on what they think?

Well I said what you propose isn't that bad. I was just saying you can go along with that line of thinking if you think Dak is your guy or you can even go along with that line of thinking if you are unsure about Dak. 4 years at 22 million, lets you recover if you were wrong thinking he was the guy.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
When the Dak haters and lovers jump in, thread is done. They have no logic and extremely poor assessments and seem to lack any power to evaluate.

Well what diehardblues proposed is very logical to me. So much so that I'm on board with offering Dak a foles contract. I see the benefits whether you think Dak is your guy, or if you are not sure that he is and want him to prove it. It is something that will not hurt you too badly if you are wrong.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats a pretty good number to use as a barometer.

Initially I thought Bortyles 3 years 50 million was a good place to start for Dak but since he’s being released by Jags for Foles that might not be a good measuring stick.

If Dak was a FA would he receive this type of Foles deal ? I’m not sure..

Thoughts ...

NO....

kskboys

Reaction score
Well what diehardblues proposed is very logical to me. So much so that I'm on board with offering Dak a foles contract. I see the benefits whether you think Dak is your guy, or if you are not sure that he is and want him to prove it. It is something that will not hurt you too badly if you are wrong.
Well stated.

I'm far from sure about Dak. So, a contract that doesn't kill us right now sure would appear to be a reasonable option.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
And what would you present that to be?

This thread is about whether you think the Foles deal is a good barometer on a contract for Dak .

Yes, the Foles deal would be a good barometer for a QB that is 1-2 in the playoffs.

Everybody says Dak needs surrounding talent, even you have said he needs "elite support" in another thread. Well how the hell do we provide Dak with "elite support" if we pay him like he is Aaron Rogers? Every dollar to Dak is one less to his teammates. So how do we do it?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I think thread has potential, also, to show who the extremist on either side are. :laugh: So should be interesting to watch. :popcorn:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, the Foles deal would be a good barometer for a QB that is 1-2 in the playoffs.

Everybody says Dak needs surrounding talent, even you have said he needs "elite support" in another thread. Well how the hell do we provide Dak with "elite support" if we pay him like he is Aaron Rogers? Every dollar to Dak is one less to his teammates. So how do we do it?
If the Cowboys are intent on making Dak their guy it seems like a reasonable contract.

The best way to surround him with elite support is continuing to draft well. We won’t be able to retain and sign everyone.

LittleD

Reaction score
I've seen very little from Dak over the last 3 years that suggests he could lead this team to a SB. By the time he might gain enough
experience to get there, this current team will be getting to old to support him. If we unload the truck to sign him long term just
expect another decade of mediocre at best.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've seen very little from Dak over the last 3 years that suggests he could lead this team to a SB. By the time he might gain enough
experience to get there, this current team will be getting to old to support him. If we unload the truck to sign him long term just
expect another decade of mediocre at best.
Correct. And that's why he should be offered a Foles-like contract right now.

kskboys

Reaction score

That's why we want to offer him a contract in the range of the Foles contract.

Seriously, this isn't about what people think about Dak. It's about whether we should get ahead of the curve and offer him this type contract right now. Wait til the end of the season, and we'll have to pay him around 30 mil/season.

Think, guys.