Is Deion Sanders overrated?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Putting this out there because I am very curious plus his name came up in the top 3 defender thread.

I say absolutely yes. Great athlete for sure. Elite speed. Great CB but I don’t see him as the best of all time. He was a pure cover guy. Literally avoided tackles and contact. Even joked about it. I think that really hurt his greatness in my opinion. One of the biggest games in his career Irvin abused him plus he got away with a couple pass interference calls. So I say yes. Great player but not the best CB. Not in the discussion in my opinion.

What do you folks say?
While I think we could present an argument he isn’t the greatest CB of all time he is one of the greatest athletes .

The fact he could play so many positions in football and Major League Baseball as well places him as one of the most naturally gifted athletes of all time

IMO the greatest athlete of all time was Jim Thorpe.

DonaldM

Reaction score
"Overrated"?! Absolutely not. The greatest of all time at that position. Deion intercepted 53 passes (24th all time) for 1,331 yards (fourth all time) in his career. His 25.1 yards per interception return is the best in NFL history, & he’s fifth in interceptions returned for a touchdown (9).

Sanders was an eight-time Pro Bowl nominee, nine-time first-team All-Pro selection, & NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1994. Dang turf toe made him retire.

Was Dak throwing that ball...way under thrown. Deion would have walked in with a better throw.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He was great but his legend is overrated.
The great Qb's of the time had no problem throwing in his direction (Troy did it all the time) and he was a liability against the run.
You had me until you said they had no problem throwing at him.
No CB in NFL history was avoided more than Sanders. That's part of what made his big plays so great; is that when they finally threw his way, he often made them pay dearly.

But yes, people that say he was the top defender of all time (see Ladamien Tomlinson) are nuts.

khiladi

Reaction score
If Kevin Smith stayed healthy, he would have been mentioned alongside guys like Sanders and Revis. Hell, if Dallas had the healthy Smith-Sanders combo and refs not making up BS calls on an even injured Smith, would a QB have ever completed a pass against us?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He’s the second greatest athlete I’ve seen, right behind Bo Jackson. He played two sports at the pro level, top 3 returner of all time, and probably the best CB to play the game. They stopped throwing his way and he still got 14 interceptions in Dallas alone. You’re really underrating him.
No doubt he was one of the greatest athletes . And I’d agree with Bo comparison since they are only athletes to play in two professional sports league in modern history.

He defined shut down corner in this era but I think it’s arguable if he was best CB.

Renfro probably best ever Cowboys CB and Aderley who we picked up from Green Bay would be close. I’d put Sanders right after that. But his pure athletic ability is greater than all.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2 things that 2 of the best players in consideration never really had any success against.

Deion could not stop Michael Irvin, except for the non call arm bar in the 1995 NFCCG.
Reggie White could not get sacks or pressures on Erik Williams.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I can't think of another CB who could regularly play so far off the receiver, giving the QB the impression the WR was open, then close for the pick, often for 6. QB's were afraid to throw it to his side because of that.

Big physical, ball hawking WR's could have some success against him if the QB could put the ball in the right spot.

He even started trying to improve his tackling efforts after he really started to hear it from the media. I remember Madden saying "who is that wearing #21" after Deion made a nice open field tackle on a RB.

Last edited:

NotForLong

Reaction score
I
Putting this out there because I am very curious plus his name came up in the top 3 defender thread.

I say absolutely yes. Great athlete for sure. Elite speed. Great CB but I don’t see him as the best of all time. He was a pure cover guy. Literally avoided tackles and contact. Even joked about it. I think that really hurt his greatness in my opinion. One of the biggest games in his career Irvin abused him plus he got away with a couple pass interference calls. So I say yes. Great player but not the best CB. Not in the discussion in my opinion.

What do you folks say?
Did you watch him play? . . . I assume . . . No

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What do you folks say?
Absolutely true he wasn't an all around player - didn't play the run or tackle well. At times even avoided contact.

But his cover skills were so exceptional - so elite relative to peers, including players considered to be great players - that he is still right there in the conversation as best CB of all time. After all, the primary responsibility is coverage.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely true he wasn't an all around player - didn't play the run or tackle well. At times even avoided contact.

But his cover skills were so exceptional - so elite relative to peers, including players considered to be great players - that he is still right there in the conversation as best CB of all time. After all, the primary responsibility is coverage.
And I think you’ve hit on a great point. He didn’t really have many peers in his era. He dominated his era .

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I think you’ve hit on a great point. He didn’t really have many peers in his era. He dominated his era .

Darrell Green may be a comparison, though Green may have been on the downside of his career when Deion came in.
Michael Irvin beat him often also as he did Deion.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Deion put fear in opposing offenses and QBs and Offensive coordinators avoided him. In addition he was an elite Punt Returner. Absolutely one of the greatest players.

Havic

Reaction score
Deion is an all time great. I would put him ahead of guys like Champ and Revis simply because he was more versatile (WR and Punt Returner).

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Deion put fear in opposing offenses and QBs and Offensive coordinators avoided him. In addition he was an elite Punt Returner. Absolutely one of the greatest players.

Never pass to Deion’s side, always run to Deion’s side

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I don't see how it's a knock to struggle with one HOF receiver who just happened to have the specific attributes needed to be effective against him.

Irvin struggled against Aeneas Williams more often than not.