Is Deion Sanders overrated?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Champ Bailey was better.

I liked Champ a lot, I always saw him as a pinnacle, prototype #1 CB with insane prime longevity… but not a transcendent or revolutionary player.

Charles Woodson was that for me. He could cover anybody, had the speed for guys like Steve Smith and Moss or the size for Fitzgerald and Megatron, was better than anyone else named in this thread after the skill player had the ball in his hands, whether it was a run play or a quick slant or a HB Screen. You don’t want Deion in that scenario, Champ was good, but Charles was elite in pursuit. GB played him at LB, they played him at safety. Best ever college DB, only one to ever win the heisman. One of 5 CBs ever to win NFL defensive MVP. Made pro bowls EIGHTEEN years apart. Pro Bowl while Bailey was in college, and again 3 years after he retired. Was all pro right off the bat at 23 and still all pro at 35. Unbelievable

Last edited:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
You had me until you said they had no problem throwing at him.
No CB in NFL history was avoided more than Sanders. That's part of what made his big plays so great; is that when they finally threw his way, he often made them pay dearly.

But yes, people that say he was the top defender of all time (see Ladamien Tomlinson) are nuts.

I said the top Qb's of the time

Creeper

Reaction score
No, in his prime he earned his reputation with his play on the field. But, I will concede that he did live off that reputation towards the end of his career. He was never a great technique player. He made up for it will unbelievable quickness and speed. Whatever gets it done.

You have to give credit to a player who was so dangerous QBs refused to throw to his side of the field.

On the other hand, when Deion was playing for the 49ers, Michael Irvin beat him badly. Deion got away with some stuff against Irvin and I think that was all about his reputation.

Forneymike

Reaction score
This is such a silly thread, I can't believe I am responding to it. Deion is one of the greatest players to play this game. He literally won a Super Bowl as a niner as one of the big difference makers and when he left them to come to the Cowboys, he won there because he was the missing piece that they needed. He shut down one half of the field. He was one of the greatest athletes to ever play, see his baseball career. He made significant plays as a WR for the Cowboys in the playoffs that year. He was one of the greatest punt returners ever to be on the field. The whole crowd was excited when he was about to catch a punt. The idea that he is overrated is ridiculous. He wasn't paid to stop the run with massive hits. He did what he had to do. He could play in any era for any team with his athletic ability. Anyone who believes he is overrated didn't see him play or is just trolling people.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Putting this out there because I am very curious plus his name came up in the top 3 defender thread.

I say absolutely yes. Great athlete for sure. Elite speed. Great CB but I don’t see him as the best of all time. He was a pure cover guy. Literally avoided tackles and contact. Even joked about it. I think that really hurt his greatness in my opinion. One of the biggest games in his career Irvin abused him plus he got away with a couple pass interference calls. So I say yes. Great player but not the best CB. Not in the discussion in my opinion.

What do you folks say?
Deion at his best was a top 5 CB of all-time.
He was Trevon Diggs plus Byron Jones. --you essentially couldn't beat him at all ever and he also picked you off.
But he did live about 5 years on reputation after he damaged his toes/foot.
He recovered a bit and played drugged up for 3-4 more years but he has now lost toes on that foot.
Deion paid a big price for those final few seasons.

DonaldM

Reaction score
I liked Champ a lot, I always saw him as a pinnacle, prototype #1 CB with insane prime longevity… but not a transcendent or revolutionary player.

Charles Woodson was that for me. He could cover anybody, had the speed for guys like Steve Smith and Moss or the size for Fitzgerald and Megatron, was better than anyone else named in this thread after the skill player had the ball in his hands, whether it was a run play or a quick slant or a HB Screen. You don’t want Deion in that scenario, Champ was good, but Charles was elite in pursuit. GB played him at LB, they played him at safety. Best ever college DB, only one to ever win the heisman. One of 5 CBs ever to win NFL defensive MVP. Made pro bowls EIGHTEEN years apart. Pro Bowl while Bailey was in college, and again 3 years after he retired. Was all pro right off the bat at 23 and still all pro at 35. Unbelievable
Oooo...Woodson now that is a good comparison.

DonaldM

Reaction score
Deion at his best was a top 5 CB of all-time.
He was Trevon Diggs plus Byron Jones. --you essentially couldn't beat him at all ever and he also picked you off.
But he did live about 5 years on reputation after he damaged his toes/foot.
He recovered a bit and played drugged up for 3-4 more years but he has now lost toes on that foot.
Deion paid a big price for those final few seasons.
I'm drinking too.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Putting this out there because I am very curious plus his name came up in the top 3 defender thread.

I say absolutely yes. Great athlete for sure. Elite speed. Great CB but I don’t see him as the best of all time. He was a pure cover guy. Literally avoided tackles and contact. Even joked about it. I think that really hurt his greatness in my opinion. One of the biggest games in his career Irvin abused him plus he got away with a couple pass interference calls. So I say yes. Great player but not the best CB. Not in the discussion in my opinion.

What do you folks say?
Best pure cover CB I ever saw.
Don't know how much his lack of tackling prowness hurts his position.
Don't forget his return abilities, You could make a case he was one of the top 10 return guys in the history of the game.

conner01

Reaction score

What do you folks say?
He is one of the all time greats at his position
As a CB he is never over rated
The position itself doesn’t impact every play like a pass rusher would. The QB can easily just ignore the guy he covered. So he’s not over rated but as an all time great defender the position is over rated

DonaldM

Reaction score
Overrated is one word and it's not Deion. Some didn't like his arrogance is the ONLY reason it's a discussion. I didn't either but was glad he was on our team.

conner01

Reaction score
Lol. Deion not the best CB ever, Parsons not a superstar. This board in the off-season is ridiculous
He is certainly one of the best CB ever
I don’t think there is any argument there
Is he the best CB ever you could debate all day
Is he one of the 3 best defensive players ever is very debatable. The best safety ever doesn’t mean that player is one of the 3 top defensive players ever
I would argue guys like a deacon Jones, LT, Reggie White or Aaron Donald are more impactful because it’s almost impossible to scheme them out of the play on a consistent basis. An offense can fairly easily scheme a CB out of a play
So it’s not about sanders, he was a player teams wanted nothing to do with because he alone could beat you. But the position itself can be too easily taken out of plays
It’s a bit like who’s the greatest offensive player. The greatest guard of all time is not gonna be one of the greatest 3 offensive players just because of the position

conner01

Reaction score
Overrated is one word and it's not Deion. Some didn't like his arrogance is the ONLY reason it's a discussion. I didn't either but was glad he was on our team.
You can’t over rate him at his position
You can’t over rate him as an athlete either
He could effect games in many ways other than just in coverage
Whether or not he is one of the 3 best defensive players ever is very debatable

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You might get more agreement if he hadn’t become a Cowboy.

He was a great cover corner but it is silly to say he took away half of the field because all he could take away was one player and he had to cheat to do that to Irvin and Andre Rison.

He was one of the fastest CBs to ever play with great ball skills but he was speed dependent and not a good CB after the catch.