Is Deion Sanders overrated?

I need 6

Reaction score
I say people that respond like this are too stupid to offer a response. Too stupid to just pass on a post they don’t like. Lived with their parents too long. Likely struggle with the ladies.
Have a nice day.....That post sounded like a cry for help.... I just gave you the attention you were looking for....Once again sir.....Have a nice day!

DonaldM

Reaction score
You might get more agreement if he hadn’t become a Cowboy.

He was a great cover corner but it is silly to say he took away half of the field because all he could take away was one player and he had to cheat to do that to Irvin and Andre Rison.

He was one of the fastest CBs to ever play with great ball skills but he was speed dependent and not a good CB after the catch.
He did put a couple dents in Raisins helmet. Wish he would have tried that on Eli's.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For some odd reason, Deion is one of the players you can't discuss on this site. Mark me down as one who thinks he was a great player, but not as great as some believe.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Checking out of thread, y'all go ahead!!!
People discuss and debate Deion all the time here. He is definitely not a sacred cow

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Overrated is one word and it's not Deion. Some didn't like his arrogance is the ONLY reason it's a discussion. I didn't either but was glad he was on our team.

I loved Deion’s arrogance, that wasn’t his failing. People bring up his lack of preference for physical contact, and i agree that was problematic at times, but Deion’s biggest issue was his health.

He was only reliably Prime Time 12-13 times a season. 1 season his whole career did he start 16 games, he was 6 time all-pro yet only one of those 6 seasons did he even start more than 12 games. Now that’s a crazy stat.

It was multiple injuries every season for 15 years. It definitely wasn’t his work ethic, his body type just didn’t quite mesh with the NFL. His avoidance of contact probably extended his career. I am a huge Deion fan but there’s definitely a certain physicality he lacked

DonaldM

Reaction score
I loved Deion’s arrogance, that wasn’t his failing. People bring up his lack of preference for physical contact, and i agree that was problematic at times, but Deion’s biggest issue was his health.

He was only reliably Prime Time 12-13 times a season. 1 season his whole career did he start 16 games, he was 6 time all-pro yet only one of those 6 seasons did he even start more than 12 games. Now that’s a crazy stat.

It was multiple injuries every season for 15 years. It definitely wasn’t his work ethic, his body type just didn’t quite mesh with the NFL. His avoidance of contact probably extended his career. I am a huge Deion fan but there’s definitely a certain physicality he lacked
Which is why we agree on Woodson.

pansophy

Reaction score
Sanders is overrated the same way the ‘92-95 Cowboys are. Those teams lost games, had stalled drives, blown coverages. Accomplishment gets distorted into the illusion of perfection over time.

Sanders is a top 3 defensive player for sure. I’d probably take him first because you can do a lot on defense when you can put a guy on an island like they did with Deion. People also forget that because he played baseball he missed camp, and practice, and would still come and shut guys down. I couldn’t find the article, but I remember a story of Irvin saying in effect he didn’t think Sanders could miss all that practice and still play at such a high level, but he did.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Putting this out there because I am very curious plus his name came up in the top 3 defender thread.

I say absolutely yes. Great athlete for sure. Elite speed. Great CB but I don’t see him as the best of all time. He was a pure cover guy. Literally avoided tackles and contact. Even joked about it. I think that really hurt his greatness in my opinion. One of the biggest games in his career Irvin abused him plus he got away with a couple pass interference calls. So I say yes. Great player but not the best CB. Not in the discussion in my opinion.

What do you folks say?

lmao! Next question.

GINeric

Reaction score
Putting this out there because I am very curious plus his name came up in the top 3 defender thread.

I say absolutely yes. Great athlete for sure. Elite speed. Great CB but I don’t see him as the best of all time. He was a pure cover guy. Literally avoided tackles and contact. Even joked about it. I think that really hurt his greatness in my opinion. One of the biggest games in his career Irvin abused him plus he got away with a couple pass interference calls. So I say yes. Great player but not the best CB. Not in the discussion in my opinion.

What do you folks say?

I say, let me know which dispensary you shop at and which strand do you smoke because i want to experience what YOU'RE experiencing right now.

All jokes aside, Sanders is by far the best cornerback to have ever played. He literally took away a whole side of a field. You have to had seen him play in person. His speed and fluidity on the field didn't seem like anything a human being was capable of doing.

And yes he wasn't known to lay the wood on guys, but check out the hit he put on Stephen Davis of the (then) Washington Commanders when his manhood was tested. Other than that, name me ONE CB in NFL history who was as feared to return an interception or punt return as Prime Time was. Name me one player in NFL who was as versatile on the field AND pretty damn good in another professional sport like Prime Time.

Loso86

Reaction score

What do you folks say?
What!?!?! Lol

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Can't stand the guy but even I admit he's the greatest cover corner to have ever played in the league, he shut down half the field.

phildadon86

Reaction score
He is certainly one of the best CB ever
I don’t think there is any argument there
Is he the best CB ever you could debate all day
Is he one of the 3 best defensive players ever is very debatable. The best safety ever doesn’t mean that player is one of the 3 top defensive players ever
I would argue guys like a deacon Jones, LT, Reggie White or Aaron Donald are more impactful because it’s almost impossible to scheme them out of the play on a consistent basis. An offense can fairly easily scheme a CB out of a play
So it’s not about sanders, he was a player teams wanted nothing to do with because he alone could beat you. But the position itself can be too easily taken out of plays
It’s a bit like who’s the greatest offensive player. The greatest guard of all time is not gonna be one of the greatest 3 offensive players just because of the position
I understand that. Isnt this thread about Sanders being overrated though?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
That is your opinion.
Champ Bailey would say that Deion was better. I honestly think a lot of fans don't like Deion's personality and they somehow merge that with his play. Deion is not only the best CB to play the game, he is in the discussion of top 10 football players of ALL TIME.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

What do you folks say?

No

Guy shut down half the field, could flip a game on turnovers or returns and basically had coordinators saying “can’t throw near him.” I don’t care about his tacking when the guy literally owned half the field

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score

What do you folks say?

I agree 100%. He was also a great punt returner, but that's not defense. I don't have him in the top 10 defensive players of all time. I'd put Ronnie Lott over him.

conner01

Reaction score
I understand that. Isnt this thread about Sanders being overrated though?
He’s far from over rated at his position
Had he played WR earlier in his career he could have made a huge impact there too. He was a dynamic return guy
He’s obviously one of the all time great player