News: Is Donovan Wilson elite?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
According to the team website the answer is yes.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-wilson-has-reached-elite-status-in-2022

It's all led to First-Team All-Pro linebacker Micah Parsons, a.k.a. The Lion, giving Wilson a nickname that will likely stick with him the remainder of his NFL career.

"He asked me for an animal name and I told him he's a jaguar," said Parsons. "He can fly around. He can jump. He does everything — goes in for sacks.

"He's not afraid to go in that deep water and get himself an alligator. I respect him so much, one of the quietest people that works so hard at what he [does]. He's been nothing but a great teammate. … He's not afraid to go meet a 250-pound running back or a 300-pound offensive lineman, because it's just free smoke because he throws his body around.

"You just always condone people who work the way he does."

-

"Shoot, I love the way he plays," said McCarthy. "You talk about a magnet to the football — loves contact, his intensity … the way he separates offensive players from the football. And he's the same guy every day. That's something I'm just a huge fan of. I think it's important for your ability to grow not only as a player, but as a defense and as a football team.

"He brings that energy every single day."
Borderline Pro Bowl caliber, which isnt quite elite. He is about 10 per year + though

John813

Reaction score
Jamal Adams lite. Seems to be a killer when around the LOS. Good blitzer vs the pass.
Elite? Nah. Good? Yea.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
From the moment he stepped on the field he was a stud. Ask Carson Wentz. Yet our old regime refused to play him. Smh

He’s our second best D player this year behind #11
Agree with you, but wasn't he injured a lot doing the beginning of his career? Always showed potential but ended up getting hurt if I recall correctly.

slick325

Reaction score
Wilson is definitely playing at a high level. Not sure I would label him "elite" per se, but he is flourishing in Quinn's defense and the role he has in it.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Wilson is at his best when he plays close to the line of scrimmage, the further back in space he plays, he's average at best

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was watching a game earlier this season, and a guy at one of tables behind me (not a Cowboys fan) was saying, " Who is that guy?... Seriously, who is that guy???"

pupulehaole

Reaction score
Ya
According to the team website the answer is yes.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-wilson-has-reached-elite-status-in-2022

It's all led to First-Team All-Pro linebacker Micah Parsons, a.k.a. The Lion, giving Wilson a nickname that will likely stick with him the remainder of his NFL career.

"He asked me for an animal name and I told him he's a jaguar," said Parsons. "He can fly around. He can jump. He does everything — goes in for sacks.

"He's not afraid to go in that deep water and get himself an alligator. I respect him so much, one of the quietest people that works so hard at what he [does]. He's been nothing but a great teammate. … He's not afraid to go meet a 250-pound running back or a 300-pound offensive lineman, because it's just free smoke because he throws his body around.

"You just always condone people who work the way he does."

-

"Shoot, I love the way he plays," said McCarthy. "You talk about a magnet to the football — loves contact, his intensity … the way he separates offensive players from the football. And he's the same guy every day. That's something I'm just a huge fan of. I think it's important for your ability to grow not only as a player, but as a defense and as a football team.

"He brings that energy every single day."
Yah man hes better than Ed Reed

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Wilson is at his best when he plays close to the line of scrimmage, the further back in space he plays, he's average at best

Which is fine. If Wilson was above average in the deep 1/3 of field, he'd be an All-Pro. He's very good 15 yards and in, sideline to sideline.

Jarntt

Reaction score
i think he is close to that

i love cowboys safety group i think as a group it is elite
If we had a ball hawk safety I would agree with you about the group being elite, but they sure are doing great for us this year

Rayman70

Reaction score
No, he's a good safety, but not worth more than about 5 million a year long term.

That's more of a copium-induced post than anything else, because the reality is Trysten Hill was a complete zero and off the team and we would still be having Thornhill on his rookie contract if we'd drafted him over Hill.

Keep coping. :thumbup:
I disagree. Hill yes, but not sure your standards can ever be met. DW has been great and getting better every year. Keep coping? Huh?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I feel DW is better than Adams in coverage. He has shown he's solid in that regard. I never understood all the hype with Adams because he is a P.I. magnet and gets burned 2 much for my liking. Wilson is younger and gets better with every game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
No, he's a good safety, but not worth more than about 5 million a year long term.

That's more of a copium-induced post than anything else, because the reality is Trysten Hill was a complete zero and off the team and we would still be having Thornhill on his rookie contract if we'd drafted him over Hill.

Keep coping. :thumbup:
he's worth what we are willing 2 pay him and what the market value is.